IMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalizer

I have just purchased the Uniden BC125AT scanner and I have an IMac and all the drivers and firmware are for windows is there any where to get the drivers and firmware for my IMac sorry if I didn't see it in any threads. TU

DPD1

Sorry, but unfortunately Mac people have traditionally been left out in the cold with scan apps. Every once in a while somebody will come out with a little app for a certain model or something, but even that hasn't happened for a long time, to my knowledge. Emulation is about the only thing that will give you full function. Maybe try VirtualBox to do that, then run an app on that. But that model isn't that complicated, so doing it manually wouldn't be too bad.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I use VMWare Fusion and Windows XP to program my radios using my Mac.

wise871

Database Admin
I run Parallels Desktop for Mac on my iMac to program my scannners. Never had a problem.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Parallels on a MacBook Pro does the trick for my BC125AT and also my Icom GMRS radios.

Yaakov

Premium Subscriber
BC125AT and OS X

I also have a BC125AT and primarily use OS X. While I have access to Windows machines and use them with the Uniden-supplied software, I prefer to use my MacBook Air for everything if possible.

The USB serial port chipset in the scanner is recognized by OS X as a modem without a problem. Communication with the scanner is easy, no extra drivers are needed. I can interact with the radio in a terminal session using screen:

Code:
alopekis:~ yaakov$ screen /dev/cu.usbmodem0001
MDL
MDL,BC125AT

There I send it the MDL (Model) command, and it replies properly. I have tested other commands as well and all is as the published specification claims.

I use CHIRP to program my Baofeng radios using OS X. CHIRP is open source, and written in Python. I had a look around at the source and it looks like adding the BC125AT would be relatively easy. So, I make no promises* but I might write the necessary parts for CHIRP to support the scanner. I don't read here often so if you are interested in getting a copy and could help test, please send me a private message here and I will put your email address in the notes I am making for this project.

Ya'akov

* To reiterate, I can make no promises when or if I will be able to get to this. Work, family, and other projects are higher on the list, but, I would like to do it so there is a non-zero chance of it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.