• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IMBE flavors - INMARSAT vs. P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Someone asked me this ... thought I'd share the response here.
casey said:
I was doing some reading about satellite communcations and I read that Inmarsat use IMBE for their digtal transmissions. One website I found said:
INMARSAT-IMBE Improved Multi-Band Excitation Coding (IMBE) 4.15 kbit/s

I can't tell if that number is the bare IMBE bits - which requires a perfect noise-free line or the larger FEC (forward error correction) encoded version.

How does that compare to the IMBE coding we are familiar with in P25 systems?
Off the top of my head ...

One P25 IMBE voice data cell is 88 bits and carries 20ms (that's 0.02 seconds) of speech. You need 50 cells to fill a whole second of audio. That works out to 4400 bits per second. If you add the Golay and Reed-Solomon encoding for error correction - the cell size grows to 144 bits. P25 groups 9 cells into a single frame. The frames require 48 bits for syncronization and 64 bits to provide some protection from break-through (skip). FWIW, ProVoice groups 4 cells into a single frame w/ 64 bits for syncronization.

While P25 uses a fixed bit-rate - the chips and/or DSP code licensed from DVSI can provide variable compression rates - allows finding the right trade-off between bit-rate and speech quality. They don't have to be limited to the format described above.

Do you think a downconverter that allowed the P25 scanner to "receive" in that band would decode anything?
No, (putting forth my best guess) in all likelihood ... (a) the actual analog signal is modulated differently and (b) the recovered bits are arranged differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.