Immigration & Customs question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Yes, but to specifically answer the question, we would need to know the OP's make/model.
Not all scanners display the NAC, yet will decode P25. Same for analog scanners, there are still many in-user scanners that don't display or search for the PL/DPL

Also, if the channel locks up every night around the same time, wondering if they are doing something at his residence.
Tuning a certain TV channel or AM/FM radio get's turned on. That might explain the DEAD carrier too

ECPS92,

This might help answer his and yours question I found on the FED files website when the owner of the website visited the Phoenix & Tucson area and he posted this information about CBP and the frequencies and NACS & PL tones.

The Fed Files Blog: 2008-11-30

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Yes, but to specifically answer the question, we would need to know the OP's make/model.
Not all scanners display the NAC, yet will decode P25. Same for analog scanners, there are still many in-user scanners that don't display or search for the PL/DPL

Also, if the channel locks up every night around the same time, wondering if they are doing something at his residence.
Tuning a certain TV channel or AM/FM radio get's turned on. That might explain the DEAD carrier too

Hi Guys- its a Uniden BCD996XT- and I do have that frequency saved twice, the one I am getting a constant "hit" on is on the Analog one. In fact it landed on that channel again, tonight! had to temporarily lock it out as it is on full bars and the scanning stays on it otherwise.

Wonder why - I am in a multi unit dwelling, I have no idea of CBP has any business here or not, especially daily.

In re: TV interference, I didn't have the TV on it matters not if TV on or off.

I am in Phoenix AZ and FBI, CBP frequencies are very active during the day. That one frequency though is active both day and night. Thanks for help sorry I didnt reply earlier

ecps92

Does it lock up at approx the same time each night ??
Didn't mean CBP having business at your complex :)
Yes, other electronic devices can/do cause interference, it is a long process to track it down, but knowing if it occurs at a specific time nightly, begins the process.

The 996 does have
DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode
NAC decoding

If you are not enabling it for a specific DPL/PL or NAC, it's best to set it for auto decode, as some of those towers are dual use in AZ (IWN) and multiple NAC's have been reported

Hi Guys- its a Uniden BCD996XT- and I do have that frequency saved twice, the one I am getting a constant "hit" on is on the Analog one. In fact it landed on that channel again, tonight! had to temporarily lock it out as it is on full bars and the scanning stays on it otherwise.

Wonder why - I am in a multi unit dwelling, I have no idea of CBP has any business here or not, especially daily.

In re: TV interference, I didn't have the TV on it matters not if TV on or off.

I am in Phoenix AZ and FBI, CBP frequencies are very active during the day. That one frequency though is active both day and night. Thanks for help sorry I didnt reply earlier

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
The last time I heard this frequency, it was NAC001.

I'll give a check this week for activity.

John,

I have been listening for a week and I haven't heard anything yet - BUT I don't have an outside antenna. You do live further East than I do though.

Mike

fleef

John,

I have been listening for a week and I haven't heard anything yet - BUT I don't have an outside antenna. You do live further East than I do though.

Mike

Hey guys- get this, so not only is that CBP freq on almost non-stop, but so are two freqs I have listed as ATF:

168.000 in NFM & 165.2875. As of this moment 8am local hour, 168. is on with 5 bars, no voice but some data bursts intermittent. 165.2875 also was on FM since last night, intermittently no voice and what sounded also like data bursts or encoding? The scanner has been landing on these two freqs since last night around 11pm.

Wish I was in on the scoop! I am in a condo that is in a mainly non-residential office area (mid town Phoenix, near Thomas Rd & Central Ave)
outdoor RS extendable antenna.
BCD996xt.

We had a repeater like that over the winter here in WNY. It was a standard CBP repeater, 163.675 that had a stuck open carrier for 3 months straight. You could hear vote scan bursts underneath the analog carrier from time to time.

Then one day radio techs were working on the repeater at the site and the analog carrier went away and the repeater returned to P25.

I am wondering if it is some type of fail safe that the repeater has if it losses fiber or microwave connectivity. Just a guess...

methusaleh

FWIW, I am a supervisor with one of the agencies mentioned in this thread. My job is law enforcement so I do not mingle with any radio techs unless I am incredibly lucky. Nobody but myself and one other ham in my office even care or know about the radios we use, so all the info I have is from personal observation only.

We have indeed been getting a lot of radio reprogramming done the past 4 days or so, which would then include testing on the air. Mobiles were mostly, if not all, done last week, and this week we are having our HTs done.

I have noticed that we now have several different iterations of the same simplex frequencies and at least a couple repeaters. Those that used to be P25 and encrypted, for instance, might have retained the same channel name and frequency, while there is now another channel with a slightly different name that has a different NAC and no encryption. I imagine this could cause confusion to someone who is monitoring.

A fictitious example might be that "Tac 1", at 165.500, encrypted $001, was found in the channels 1, 10, and 16 positions on bank 4B. It remains in the channel 1 position, while channel 10 is now called "Tac 1X" and is 165.500, $123, with no encryption.

I think we only had a couple such channels before, but now there are quite a few popping up that use that naming convention.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hey Guys & Ladies,

What are the frequencies releated to 165.2375? I have 165.2350, 165.2375 & 166.4375 and I can only hear one side of the communications normally I can hear both.

Last edited:

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, sorry to say nothing to report on 162.3125mhz.

I have been from the Tucson area east on I-10 to the NM border up to Silver City and have not heard traffic on this frequency, analog or digital.

Up in the Silver C area, I did hear static on the frequency but would attribute it to noise, not for example analog encryption.

ecps92

CBP Nets - The RadioReference Wiki
The Fed Files Blog: DHS CBP Channel Lineup

165.2375 Repeater and Simplex
The Repeater can be Net-01, 03, 06, 17, 39, 40, 43, 47, 52, 65

What varies would be the input Freq and/or PL/NAC
It is also now becoming the input for a DNET 20x as they re-farm the VHF spectrum to conform with Federal VHF/UHF Channel Plans - The RadioReference Wiki

162-174 MHz

NTIA Manual Chapter 4 Section 4.3.7
Government land mobile channels are normally on 12.5 kHz steps (162.05, 162.0625, 162.075 ...) in NFM, P25, or other digital voice modes.
No standard offset.
There are other unpaired single frequencies in other parts of the band that are not specified in the manual.
Use of the band 162-174 MHz by the military agencies is limited to non-tactical or intra-base radio operations.
162.0500-166.4875 Mobile/repeater input
166.5000-169.5000 Unpaired single frequency systems
169.5125-173.2000 Base/repeater output
173.4000-173.9875 Base/repeater output

165.2350 is what the older scanners would read-out when entering 165.2375 or a scanner that could not do the 12.5 Khz channels.

166.4375 is the common input to Net 01, 39, 43 and 65

P25 or Analog are you hearing ?
One side ? Base, Aircraft or ??
Remember if it's Aircraft they might be tripping Repeaters up/down the coast

Hey Guys & Ladies,

What are the frequencies releated to 165.2375? I have 165.2350, 165.2375 & 166.4375 and I can only hear one side of the communications normally I can hear both.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Could the channel(s) that are constantly on be internally generated "birdies"? My Uniden 780XLT does that on certain freqs. Only way to know for sure is to remove the antenna!

fleef

ecps92;222**** said:
CBP Nets - The RadioReference Wiki
The Fed Files Blog: DHS CBP Channel Lineup

165.2375 Repeater and Simplex
The Repeater can be Net-01, 03, 06, 17, 39, 40, 43, 47, 52, 65

What varies would be the input Freq and/or PL/NAC
It is also now becoming the input for a DNET 20x as they re-farm the VHF spectrum to conform with Federal VHF/UHF Channel Plans - The RadioReference Wiki

162-174 MHz

NTIA Manual Chapter 4 Section 4.3.7
Government land mobile channels are normally on 12.5 kHz steps (162.05, 162.0625, 162.075 ...) in NFM, P25, or other digital voice modes.
No standard offset.
There are other unpaired single frequencies in other parts of the band that are not specified in the manual.
Use of the band 162-174 MHz by the military agencies is limited to non-tactical or intra-base radio operations.
162.0500-166.4875 Mobile/repeater input
166.5000-169.5000 Unpaired single frequency systems
169.5125-173.2000 Base/repeater output
173.4000-173.9875 Base/repeater output

165.2350 is what the older scanners would read-out when entering 165.2375 or a scanner that could not do the 12.5 Khz channels.

166.4375 is the common input to Net 01, 39, 43 and 65

P25 or Analog are you hearing ?
One side ? Base, Aircraft or ??
Remember if it's Aircraft they might be tripping Repeaters up/down the coast

I have it on Analog. It is still "active" (if you can call it that- just empty air)

on 168.000 which I have listed as ATF, another "constant transmitter" the Uniden bcd996xt also locks on that frequency daily- I hear pager tones intermittently, then dead air for several minutes. Since the constant transmitting at 4 bars power with these two freqs I have set them both to Temporary Lock Out.

ecps92

Sit on 168.0000 and with another scanner search the 162-174 band and see if you can ID where the Paging is really coming from. Try 168.5250 first, if you can't find it there, expand down into the 152/157 Paging, I'm begining to think you live near or are getting intermod from a Paging transmitter and not actually hearing the agencies.

Anyone have the VHF Paging Freq from the VA Hosp ??

I have it on Analog. It is still "active" (if you can call it that- just empty air)

on 168.000 which I have listed as ATF, another "constant transmitter" the Uniden bcd996xt also locks on that frequency daily- I hear pager tones intermittently, then dead air for several minutes. Since the constant transmitting at 4 bars power with these two freqs I have set them both to Temporary Lock Out.

ecps92

Any update with trying a different Radio ?

Sit on 168.0000 and with another scanner search the 162-174 band and see if you can ID where the Paging is really coming from. Try 168.5250 first, if you can't find it there, expand down into the 152/157 Paging, I'm begining to think you live near or are getting intermod from a Paging transmitter and not actually hearing the agencies.

Anyone have the VHF Paging Freq from the VA Hosp ??

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Neither of those frequencies are allocated to ICE. That's not to say that ICE doesn't have them in their radios. But if I remember correctly, 168.850 is Border Patrol and 165.2375 is OFO/OAM. Both under CBP (Customs and Border PROTECTION).

Another way to tell who you are hearing is by their call signs and their dispatch ID number. Border Patrol uses 3 digit ID numbers while ICE uses 4 numbers prefixed with a letter in their IDs. Also, Border Patrol's dispatch in Florida is known as "220" while ICE will usually call C-100.

That's not true on Border Patrol call signs. They have been using call signs with "alpha", "bravo", etc for years. Usually the letter denotes the first letter of the office they're out of: Charlie (Casa Grande, AZ), Delta (Douglas, AZ), November (Nogales, AZ), Tango (Tucson, AZ), etc.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
That's not true on Border Patrol call signs. They have been using call signs with "alpha", "bravo", etc for years. Usually the letter denotes the first letter of the office they're out of: Charlie (Casa Grande, AZ), Delta (Douglas, AZ), November (Nogales, AZ), Tango (Tucson, AZ), etc.
I was referencing Border Patrol in Florida. That's where the OP is located. But I guess your info can come in handy if he is ever in Arizona. :lol:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
They have been using the "tactical" call signs in New York for years also. I'm surprised you're not hearing them down there in Florida yet.

I was referencing Border Patrol in Florida. That's where the OP is located. But I guess your info can come in handy if he is ever in Arizona. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.