Imminent Aircraft Crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbinsj2

Reports out of Somerset County & Middlesex County that large commuter aircraft may be coming down soon. Fire/EMS being mobilized to standby at stations pending more info. All appearances of a true alarm, not a drill.

11:51: landing gear down, dumping fuel, currently in flight pattern. "Large commercial airliner."

Jim

robbinsj2

Reports from a fire captain (sees plane above) appears to be a Continental 757, plane is circling area of Franklin/Branchburg at present time. Unknown intentions/hopeful destination at this time. Some traffic on my feed but you may do better to find a Somerset County feed (mine only has Franklin Township).

W2SJW

Database Admin
That plane passed over Branchburg approx 5 minutes ago (11:50am). I was too late to see it, but I heard it go over (I was in the shower)...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Ok, he made another pass over Branchburg 3 minutes later - my wife & I saw him head east back over Hillsborough from our neighborhood - He was dumping fuel from his wingtips (looked like dark contrails).

Pretty awesome sight - he's done dumping & on his way to land now (pissed I didn't grab my camera fast enough).

robbinsj2

Somerset & Middlesex emergency units are demobilizing, aircraft is heading to an airport (apparently EWR) for an emergency landing. I think I heard some unit say that a landing gear tire blew during take-off from EWR and it is now returning there for that reason.

At 1224 the Middlesex Sheriff announced to the hotline that the aircraft landed safely at Newark.

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
These are courtesy of my buddy's niece (FF/EMT/Dispatcher) - I'm pretty sure this is a 767-200:

Attachments

• 757_1.jpg
    757_1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,115
  • 757_2.jpg
    757_2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 952
  • 757_3.jpg
    757_3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,515
looks like he's dumping fuel in that picture, they do that in an emergency before they try to land if I recall..maybe I'm mistaken, but that would explain the circling before heading back to Newark..good to hear they landed ok :)

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
looks like he's dumping fuel in that picture, they do that in an emergency before they try to land if I recall.

Correct. From the first post:

11:51: landing gear down, dumping fuel, currently in flight pattern. "Large commercial airliner."

BTW - robbinsj, your subject implied the aircraft was going to crash. Any idea where that came from? They land with tire blowouts all the time, it's not too often that would lead to them declaring they were crashing.

robbinsj2

BTW - robbinsj, your subject implied the aircraft was going to crash. Any idea where that came from? They land with tire blowouts all the time, it's not too often that would lead to them declaring they were crashing.
That was how emergency services were being dispatched initially -- almost, if not 100%, verbatim. I hate playing armchair quarterback but I might guess that either the early info was incomplete or the message morphed when being passed from aviation authorities through state authorities to the county & local emergency services.

Jim

SFD57fire

That was how emergency services were being dispatched initially -- almost, if not 100%, verbatim. I hate playing armchair quarterback but I might guess that either the early info was incomplete or the message morphed when being passed from aviation authorities through state authorities to the county & local emergency services.

Jim

I can back him up on that..I have audio of a Franklin dispatch..word for word..
"County all Franklin Districts respond to your stations and stand-by for a possible airline crash. District 1 and District 3 respond to your stations and stand-by, a large commercial airplane, flying over Franklin,circling the county, a possible airline crash, losing fuel, very low altitude 11:44".. word for word.
The was definate belief in the initial stages that it was going to go down. Every department in the county was placed on stand by. Thank God this turned out okay. It flew over Somerville once heading out towards Branchburg and I shot some video. Then it came back heading northeast a second time towards Newark.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
THanks. Sounds like that old "operator" game we played as kids in school, but amazing that it still happens with public safety professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.