• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

impala police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

red8

I Just Saw On The Local News How Easy It Is To Get Out Of
Back Of A Chevy Impala Police Car . I Just Couldn't Believe
It. They Showed A Lsp Trooper Handcuffed Behind The Back, Got Himself Turned Around And Pried On The Rear
Door Handle, Opened The Rear Door And Got Out Of The Unit. Even The Reporter Doing The Story Was Able To Get
Out. It Turned Out That The Chevy Police Cars Did Not Have The Child Lock On The Rear Doors. It Seems Like If They Would Disconnect The Door Handle Like They Used
To Do. They Would Not Have That Problem.

CVPI4Ever

The Chevy Wimpala has to be the worst police cruiser ever made. The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is the only one built to last.

Scram

The new Dodge Charger V8 police interceptor has a mean look, and will start to replace most departments Impalas.

In my cities department, it seems that the MEG as well as our Sargents use the Impalas because most people can't tell if it's a police officer, or a regular joe driving behind them.

And also, Like stated above, where are you going to be going with cuffs on?

It seems like the only practical thing would be to open the door and run if you were detained and put in the back of one..

I can't imagine why there are no child-locks built on those cars.. or why the Police don't have an option to have it added. It's a stupid thing if that's the case.

CVPI4Ever

Scram said:
The new Dodge Charger V8 police interceptor
the Police Interceptor is only made by Ford. Dodge calles its police Charger a Police Package. Chevy calls their Impalas a 9C1 (patrol) or a 9C3 (detective). It bugs me when people see a police car and automatically call it a Police Interceptor.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CVPI4Ever said:
It bugs me when people see a police car and automatically call it a Police Interceptor.
It bugs me when Ford calls something a "Police Interceptor" while still having lackluster performance :lol:

250hp is fine, for a V6 :D

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the new Impalas, they may be crap with a V6 and all, but I had a 95 Impala Police car and it would run circles around the Fords. It stayed together OK too.

I would still have it but a drunk in a grand cherokee came around the corner and knocked it into my neighbors' tree.

jmp883

Ford vs. Chevy....the debate will never end. However one does have to wonder why GM gave up on the full-size Impala/Caprice. I understand GM is not in the best position compared to Ford but giving the fleet sales potential entirely to Ford had to be a move they now regret. After all it's not just PD's and FD's that used the C.V. and Impala/Caprice. Taxi/limo companies, rental fleets, etc. all used both makes for years.

The agency I dispatch full-time for used both Ford's and Chevy's side-by-side. Now that the full-size Chevy is gone the Patrol and Traffic divisions use only Crown Vics. We do have several new mid-size Impala's but they are unmarked and assigned to our Detective Bureaus.

The agency I dispatch part-time for also used both Ford and Chevy but quickly went to all Fords based on maintenance issues and complaints from the officers about the Chevy's. We're still all-Ford and plan to stay that way.

From what I've read, the mid-size Impala and the new Dodge Charger police packages are quite capable in their performance. The only negative I've read about so far is that since they are smaller cars it will be more confining for the officers to be in, especially once all the communications and prisoner security equipment is installed. My full-time agency works on 12-hour shifts so that's a lot of time to be a vehicle that you don't really fit into. I do see the Dodge Charger being used by traffic division units for highway enforcement due to its performance, though.

Time will tell..............:D

BTW-the only real emergency vehicle is a Ward LaFrance Ambassador pumper (Engine 51 lives)! ;)

SCPD

flyingwolf said:
You escape and they get to beat you back into the car, besides, where you gonna run with cuffs on your butt.

Sounds like last night's COPS episode. Guy with warrants decided not to wait to be put into the car and started running, hands cuffed behind him...He got about 50 feet and took a face plant into the dirt. His only comment as he was being stuffed into the car was "bet you don't get people running away in handcuffs very often". The coppers reply: No, and now you know why.

I thought those child locks were standard safety equipment these days. I also thought these were not necessarily the best way to disable the rear doors. Is this perhaps more what the story was about? The cars here usually require a lever be moved by opening the front door and then releasing a latch on the rear door. Doors stay locked inside and out until this is done. At least on the ones I've seen.

car2back

flyingwolf said:
You escape and they get to beat you back into the car, besides, where you gonna run with cuffs on your butt.

and maybe if your local PD officer is Tazer-certified, get to ride the electric-pony! :D

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
Grog said:
It bugs me when Ford calls something a "Police Interceptor" while still having lackluster performance :lol:

250hp is fine, for a V6 :D
Amen. I'm not advocating one car over the other, but some of you guys need to realize that the P71 is not the holy grail of police cars. Yes, the Ford's are still body on frame and yes, they get the s**t pounded out of them...however, I've got a 16 year old Caprice 9C1 in my garage that has mechanically outlasted countless P71's (just from my agency alone) but I guess I just got lucky since it's not built to last...right, Grog? The CV is not the only car that has lasted thru the ages, so please get off your Ford high horse. We won't even mention the 1969 Dodge Polara that will to this day kick the pants off anything Ford or GM put on the road to this point. Could you imagine that car with modern upgrades like 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS?

Anywho...

-The Crown Vic P71 is still slow and has "OK" performance at best, but it's the largest. The 2005/2006 MY cars are more powerful on paper, but the 2003 MY car performs better on the road. Funny how that works.

-The DCX cars are fast, handle well but are still too small for long term patrol use. We'll let agencies like Michigan State Police beat on them for a year and see how they hold up.

-The (W)Impala 9C1/9C3 are good urban cars, not too fast/slow but like the DCX platform they are smaller than a police vehicle should be. The addition of the 3.9L V6 is a welcome change, but it baffles me that only the "SS" (term used loosely and with great disgust on my part) has a 5.3L V8 available. Granted, GM still hasn't learned that equal-length half shafts are the only way to fly in FWD vehicles with high-torque engines.

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
Thayne said:
I don't know about the new Impalas, they may be crap with a V6 and all, but I had a 95 Impala Police car and it would run circles around the Fords. It stayed together OK too.
I still use a 94 9C1 as my daily driver. I bought it in November of 2003 (yep, they used it that long) with 137,000 miles. It's up to 174,000 with a few problems here and there. It's still a great car, with plenty of power and room.

jmp883 said:
the debate will never end. However one does have to wonder why GM gave up on the full-size Impala/Caprice.
They converted the B-Body plant to light trucks. They made more profit on one suburban than they did on five Police cars.

stateboy said:
I've got a 16 year old Caprice 9C1 in my garage that has mechanically outlasted countless P71's (just from my agency alone) but I guess I just got lucky since it's not built to last...right, Grog?
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm a B-Body guy all the way :D I do believe that a RWD car will usually be best for police work, and right now that does put Chevy at a disadvantige.

I just hope the Ford guys will remember when everyone made some real stinkers as far as police cars. Anyone remember the Lumina, Taurus, let alone the Chevette :lol: I'm really wondering how volvo would have done if Ford had not pulled them off of the market. Anyone from Cali ever see many of them?

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
CHP decided against the Volvo's due to maintainence costs with parts, etc....otherwise they were fairly well received.

As for my comment, CVPI4ever advised the CVPI was the only police car built to last and I was trying to make a funny with my 9C1 remark.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
red8 said:
I Just Saw On The Local News How Easy It Is To Get Out Of
Back Of A Chevy Impala Police Car . I Just Couldn't Believe
It. They Showed A Lsp Trooper Handcuffed Behind The Back, Got Himself Turned Around And Pried On The Rear
Door Handle, Opened The Rear Door And Got Out Of The Unit. Even The Reporter Doing The Story Was Able To Get
Out. It Turned Out That The Chevy Police Cars Did Not Have The Child Lock On The Rear Doors. It Seems Like If They Would Disconnect The Door Handle Like They Used
To Do. They Would Not Have That Problem.
Uhhhh, they must not have had the SEO 6B2 option, Inoperative rear door handles. The handles are disconected with this option. Also, they have the SEO 6N6 for inoperative rear door locks (rear locks are disconnected and can only be opened from master switch) and option SEO 6N5 for inoperative rear windows (rear window switches are disconnected).

Grog

Banned
stateboy said:
As for my comment, CVPI4ever advised the CVPI was the only police car built to last and I was trying to make a funny with my 9C1 remark.
Ah, Ok.

When I bought my 9C1, they also sold three CVs, two 95s and a 96. No one bid on any of them, so they went to the caprice. I won it at $1800 (I know, I ripped them off :D ). After that, they finally got three people to bid the minimum $1000 on each of the CVs.

At this point, the Cv is still probably the best police car avaiable (until proven otherwise by the charger) but that's not really saying much. :lol:

xusmarine1979

I'll drive either one. I never had any problems with my Impala, at first it was a little hard to compare it to the Caprice and the older Vic's but my dog and I didn't complain about the way it handled and rode. The dark windows were nice too.

dcg729

I have to admit that I like the Crown Vics the best

however its the rear wheel drive part that the new chevy is going to have a tough time beating, the older mid 90,s chevys were great cars but they are now at minimum 10 years old and as such not available for duty, the newest CRV, P-71 is a big car and as a big guy I drive the civilan version all knee deep in leather and I can get an honest 28 mpg on the road, drive both the Impala and the Ford 1000 miles in 14 hours then tell me which one you want daily. 5 in a row for me

Alan_Fujino

Chevy, Ford, Chrysler. It's all unreliable domestic junk. That's why the BIG (little 3 now) are going under. I wonder if any departments have tried the imports...Honda, Toyota. Better build, better reliability and crash test ratings. Hmmm... I have a feeling I'm going to get ganged up on by the good 'ol boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.