IMPD Cars - Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9tfh

I was just curious... I noticed that most (not all) IMPD cars have 2 antennas. One 800mhz and another longer antenna. It looks like either a VHF Whip or a CB Antenna. Does anyone know what these antennas are for? I am sure one is for their laptops. Is the other just for off system communications?

Joe KB9TFH

delallen

I know years ago they were still using their old VHF freqs for a chit chat channel. I don't know if that's true today or not.

DiGiTaLD

"Tac" Radios

I was just curious... I noticed that most (not all) IMPD cars have 2 antennas. One 800mhz and another longer antenna. It looks like either a VHF Whip or a CB Antenna. Does anyone know what these antennas are for? I am sure one is for their laptops. Is the other just for off system communications?
The open-coil 800 MHz collinear (sometimes its a 800 MHz quarterwave) is for data. Those are NMO mounted either on the roof or trunk lid. The longer antennas are generally 5/8 wave VHF high band, usually on trunk-lip mounts for their "tac" radios, which are usually (but not always) modified 2-meter amateur radios used out-of-band.

Enough said on that topic.

KC9JUM

Feed Provider
I have seen a few different configurations and antennas used.

800mhz wise some cars have roof mount NMOs, most have them in the trunklid.

I have seen three different styles of Antennas.
Quarter wave chrome nut.
3DB Colinear antenna, Mostly the Motorola model.
Low profile Antenex Phantom antenna. (The Impala cars all seem to have these)

For other antennas
The traffic arm of IMPD often has CB Antennas used with CB Radios.
There are also the aforementioned trunklip mounted NMO VHF sticks often used with illegal tac radios.
There are legitimate IMPD ham operators as well....
Then there are the unusual..... I -swear- i saw an IMPD cruiser with a split ball quarter panel full lowband quarter wave antenna. LOL... someone serious about CB?

someone should start a discussion about all those Antennas on Indiana State Police cars.... they have so many it looks like a porcupine...

Viper43

Some IMPD also use 2m radios exactly how they are supposed to use them. I've talked regularly with a couple IMPD officers on 2m .

V

GTO_04

I have seen a few different configurations and antennas used.

800mhz wise some cars have roof mount NMOs, most have them in the trunklid.

I have seen three different styles of Antennas.
Quarter wave chrome nut.
3DB Colinear antenna, Mostly the Motorola model.
Low profile Antenex Phantom antenna. (The Impala cars all seem to have these)

For other antennas
The traffic arm of IMPD often has CB Antennas used with CB Radios.
There are also the aforementioned trunklip mounted NMO VHF sticks often used with illegal tac radios.
There are legitimate IMPD ham operators as well....
Then there are the unusual..... I -swear- i saw an IMPD cruiser with a split ball quarter panel full lowband quarter wave antenna. LOL... someone serious about CB?

someone should start a discussion about all those Antennas on Indiana State Police cars.... they have so many it looks like a porcupine...

Maybe he was communicating with ISP on low band when they were still using it, and never got around to removing the antenna.

I still do see a few ISP cruisers with low band antennas on the rear fender.

GTO_04

Viper43

ISP 51 some of the troopers still use VHF channels on occasion for chit chat

V

Viper43

I found out because I left the channels on a couple old scanners :)
They seem to run fairly low power, but at least I know when they are close :)

V

sjwref

Simply for them

Some officers like to communcate just with each other. Believe it or not , they use a CB. They can talk about what they want without control or other officers hearing them and they don't have to worry about being taped or bothering others.

W9NES

The antennas they have on there cars is for VHF Tac radios which have been used illeagly for years without a license issued to the City and or County.Now after the merger now IMPD they are still using the radios as they were told to take them out by a written order a long time ago.

kb9tfh

ohh well, life goes on, it certainly is not the first time freq were used without a license... Anyone know what freq they use?

gambill1

antennas

I was on I-64 yesterday around the Evansville area and seen a unmarked mustang (new body ) having someone pulled over. But I didn't notice any antennas. could they have hidden antennas or something else?

jerk

I was on I-64 yesterday around the Evansville area and seen a unmarked mustang (new body ) having someone pulled over. But I didn't notice any antennas. could they have hidden antennas or something else?

There was an article recently on them, and a thread here I think discusses that.
But a simple 800 MHz whip in th rear deck would work, other places are under the fenders. And then are several good manufacturers of disguise antennas. So it could be a AM/FM/800 antenna.

Viper43

They can also use antennas hidden in the mirrors as well as windows. In one case I know of an antenna was hidden in a rear spoiler of a Mustang

V

Status
Not open for further replies.