Impedance matching for RG58 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapheal2k6

Hello,
How do i calculate impedance matching of RG58 cable connected to both a transmitter and receiver.

Thanks

K9WG

Don't know what you are asking but RG58 is a 50-ohm cable and most (if not all) transceivers are also 50-ohm. You don't have to impedance match, just use it.

Rapheal2k6

Impedance matching/Transmitter/Receiver

@K9WG, thanks for your reply. I'm designing a transmitter and receiver for voice communication via RG58 cable. Im gonna need a repeater because the distance is about 30000feet. I'm kinda confussed on how to connect the repeater to the transmitter and receiver and i guess in this case there should be impedance matching. Any thoughts? Thanks

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Don't know what you are asking but RG58 is a 50-ohm cable and most (if not all) transceivers are also 50-ohm. You don't have to impedance match, just use it.

Every coaxial cable has a characteristic impedance which is the same regardless of length and which in the case of RG58 is, as stated, about 50 ohms. It also has a loss irrespective of the impedance, and the longer the cable and higher the frequency carried the greater the loss. Regardless, a coaxial cable terminated with it's characteristic impedance appears to the source as an infinite length of cable with that impedance, which means it will reflect no energy back to the source.

An antenna, however, has an impedance that varies with frequency and you must be sure that it is as close as possible to the impedance of your transmission line at it's resonance frequency. This may require the addition of transformers (often called baluns) to the connection between the transmission line and the antenna.

Impedance is not the same as resistance and applies only to alternating current. At D.C. no cable has impedance, only resistance which may be nowhere close to it's impedance.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
How do i calculate impedance matching of RG58 cable connected to both a transmitter and receiver.

Thanks

While I agree with the above response 100%, it don't amount to a hill of beans if you have both a transmitter and a receiver connected to one RG-58 cable. Your receiver will be so deaf the impedance mismatch will be the least of your worries...

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Ok, sorry. My last comment was kinda flippant. When you are combining a transmitter and a receiver together, you have to pay special attention to the impedance match. This is done with a thingy called a duplexer. It will combine both the transmit and receive into a common coax cable, hence single antenna.

The way it works is one frequency, say the receiver, is passed to the receive port
with a very low impedance as so not to upset the characteristic 50 ohm and the greatest amount of power is transferred to the receiver. The transmitter (connected to the same antenna in parallel) should show a very high impedance to the receivers port to prevent upsetting the 50 ohm balance and preventing unwanted RF energy from reaching the receiver. Reverse that for the transmitter side of things.

These duplexers are specialized and require tuned selective filters and frequency dependent cabling to accomplish the task, but the end result is a true 50 ohm system antenna to receiver and from antenna to transmitter and isolation 70, 80, 90dB or better between the two.

You don't mention the frequency of what you are trying to do here, but above 30MHz it becomes mechanically possible. Below 30 MHz I couldn't imagine what a duplexer would start to look like.

n5ims

@K9WG, thanks for your reply. I'm designing a transmitter and receiver for voice communication via RG58 cable. Im gonna need a repeater because the distance is about 30000feet. I'm kinda confussed on how to connect the repeater to the transmitter and receiver and i guess in this case there should be impedance matching. Any thoughts? Thanks

Please further clarify what you're trying to accomplish. What needs clarification isn't the "how you're doing it", but more "what you're trying to do". For example (how I read what you're saying anyway).

Is the goal to connect two sites that are about 30,000 feet apart together to allow them to talk together over a wire link (for privacy, eliminate licensing, or some other reason) so what you'll end up with (based on your plan) is to have a transceiver at both ends connected together using 30,000 feet of RG-58 coax? If this is the goal, is it really critical that you do it using transceivers on either end or do you really just want to be able to talk (in other words is the goal to talk or is the goal to link the radios even if there are better ways to accomplish the task of talking)?

If the radio link is your goal, you should use the Cable-TV design as your base. They basically have a transmitter (well, a large rack with many of them) connected by coax to a receiver (well, many of them) which is pretty similar to what you're doing.

With the CATV system, the transmitters are all 75 ohm, the receivers are all 75 ohm (and along the way the many bi-directional amps are also 75 ohm) so no real impedence matching is necessary. Bi-directional amps are used to allow multiple sites to feed the system (say one with over-the-air antennas, another with satelite feeds, another with fiber-optic feeds, and others with studio feeds like live council meetings). While they often do have a single feed point, they do still back-haul the studio feeds over the same system over "private" channels.

W6KRU

I am guessing that this could be a homework assignment and trying to understand the practical application isn't going to help.

Rapheal2k6

Impedance matching/Transmitter/Receiver design

@n5ims : The aim is to have full duplex voice communication between two buildings connected by the RG 58 coaxial cable. The distance between the two buildings is 30000 feet. The attenuation of the RG58 cable is very high about 2034dB. I need a repeater to extend the signal and also serve the full duplex purpose. Im kinda lost on how to calculate by how much the repeater will boost the signal. I want to use FM Modulation in VHF highband.

kc5uta

@n5ims : The aim is to have full duplex voice communication between two buildings connected by the RG 58 coaxial cable. The distance between the two buildings is 30000 feet. The attenuation of the RG58 cable is very high about 2034dB. I need a repeater to extend the signal and also serve the full duplex purpose. Im kinda lost on how to calculate by how much the repeater will boost the signal. I want to use FM Modulation in VHF highband.

DAMN but thats a lot of cable. Ever thought about a uhf link or maybe something in the "gigs" band? I can see full audio/video being good at 10 gigs point to point, or is there intervening obstructions? Just curious. (still tripping on the 30,000 feet of coax...wow!)
But hey I would love to hear more.....Dave KC5UTA

n5ims

If that's your goal and method than the CATV model is probably what you want to emulate. First off you should change from RG-58 to a better grade coax. It won't stand up to the elements (squirrells will eat through it in no time at the very least) and has way too much loss for what you're doing. Some CATV infrastructure grade coax (solid aluminum exterior) should be the minimum level for this type of operation. Even with that level of coax, you'll need good quality bi-directional amps every thousand feet or so (RG-58 will require every few hundred feet or so so the cost should be less with better coax anyway).

The real issue is why use RF anyway. Running a fiber would be less (fewer amps, if any required) and provide you better service for a simple voice link. It'll also provide you with better bandwidth so you can expand from the simple voice link to include data or even a full duplex video system. You'll still need infrastructure grade cable, but costs would be similar to the coax and maintenance should be much less over time using fiber.

The lowest cost for what you want would be a microwave link between the two sites. Even if towers on both end were required it should still be less than the installation costs of all that coax. You would require a license for that type of system however. It probably would also be the most reliable since that length of coax provides a large area of attack for animals, vandels, and wayward backhoes.

Depending on the length of time you'd need that link and what local services are available you may be able to rent a "dry pair" (Dry loop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) from your local phone company for minimal cost and run a low-cost intercom over the link. I've done this over similar distances where we fed audio from a remote site on campus back to our studio and had intercom audio back from the studio to the remote site over the same pair (we used a hybrid to multiplex the audio streams, but generally only used the intercom during breaks since there was a bit of leakage) and the cost was a whopping $3.00 a month (it's probably changed since then, but still shouldn't be much).

Token

I think you need to reassess on a systemic level. Start with the requirements document and work from there with no predetermined solution in place.

9+ kilometers is a significant amount of coax, even cheap coax like RG-58, is there no other way to get the signal between locations? How about fiber? Sure, the cost of the fiber is slightly higher, but that distance can be run with no support equipment other than the launch and receive sites, so it might be a lower total cost effort.

If it is just voice why use RF at all, why not just base-band audio (think telephone system)? If the bandwidth requirements are not large, and you want RF based for the full duplex then why use VHF-Hi? Why not HF or MW where losses are much lower in any coax you select? For example changing from 250 MHz to 5 MHz reduces the loss by more than 1800 dB, you would be able to get away with significantly fewer bidirectional amplifiers, going to 1 MHz would get the loss down to around 100 - 110 dB, and might mean you could get away with only one or two amps.

What is the purpose of putting it on a cable for such a distance, why can’t it go as RF in space?

If you want security look at a digital spread spectrum encrypted over-the-air RF link, you should be able to purchase one with antennas for less than the cost of 9 km of coax and associated amplifiers.

Direct burial fiber can be purchased for less than $500 USD per kilometer, meaning the entire 9+ km run could be purchased for under $4500 USD, roughly the same cost as a 30000 foot run of RG-58.

Or look at point-to-point laser systems, unless you are in the path between the two points it can be hard to tell when the link is active. If you want to deny someone the intelligence of when you are active leave the link up all the time with bogus data/audio on it in discrete channels.

By the way, speaking of security, leakage from such a long run of coax cable will mean that someone can tell when you are using it, if they really want to, so if security is a driver it might not be as tight as you think. Fiber would be the way to go here if security is a concern.

A lot more thought needs to be given this project for it to come to a successful and fiscally responsible conclusion. Also, the existing factors and limitations need to be known.

T!

(edit) Ooops, sorry, I see N5IMS already brought up several of the points I made. I did not see that until after I posted.

Last edited:

Rapheal2k6

@Token, i am to use the RG58 cable as the transmission medium. From my calculations, i'll need about 40 repeaters. When designing the transmitter, how do i determine my output power? Do i assume it and also the same case for the receiver sensitivity.

Many thanks for your contribution

Rapheal2k6

When designing a transmitter, how do I determine the output power and the sensitivity of the receiver?

prcguy

Its hard to contribute to this post without thinking any info will be wasted and the OP will continue on a senseless and impossible path.

Unless you have a truckload of free RG-58 cable there is no good reason to specify it for connecting two locations 30,000ft apart.

Selecting a frequency range that maximizes attenuation and requires "repeaters" is not a good practice when you could make a full duplex RF based intercom in the 100KHz range with a manageable 35dB cable loss, assuming you still wanted to continue with the silly idea of using 30,000ft of RG-58.

If the OP is fixed on "designing" a transmitter but has no apparent knowledge of impedance matching then it would be impossible for him to actually design a transmitter, so the project will never go anywhere with its present set of design criteria.

I hope the OP can regroup and consider another way to accomplish the apparent goal of full duplex voice between two locations like using two telephones and a $50 off the shelf hybrid/ring generator and surplus military WD1 telephone wire. Total cost might be under $500 and you will be talking a few minutes after laying down the wire.
prcguy

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Its hard to contribute to this post without thinking any info will be wasted and the OP will continue on a senseless and impossible path.

I've had that thought, and also thought that the OP is probably a troll. Either way, it's apparent that the vague requirement and the proposed solution are well outside the bounds of reason.

Rapheal2k6

@ zz0468 i'm not a troll. its a project that has been given in school. The project requirement is to use an RG58 cable between 2 buildings 30,000 feet apart to establish voice communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.