ProScan Implementing Broadcastify Calls for current Uniden/ProScan Feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamAltenberger

Feed Provider
Greetings all,

I currently host the Seattle Fire and Fairbanks North Star Borough Fire radio feeds on Broadcastify. Both feeds use a Uniden scanner (BCT15X & BCD996P2, respectively), connected with both an audio cable and serial data cable to a Windows 10 computer running ProScan software. Both feeds include alpha tags.

I am very excited about the new Broadcastify Calls service and I would like to implement my two feeds into the Broadcastify Calls system. However, I must admit that I am pretty confused by the Broadcastify Calls support webpages and I'm not sure how to best proceed. I have the Broadcastify Calls API key for one feed and I am able to get it for the other as well.

The Broadcastify Calls support webpages mention software-defined radio a lot. My first question is, is my current setup compatible with Broadcastify Calls, or would I need use a software-defined radio system rather than a Uniden scanner? It seems like many of the data/logging features currently in ProScan are similar to the "per call" features on Broadcastify Calls.

If my system is compatible, what would be the best practice or course of action for responsibly implementing Broadcastify Calls for my feeds? UNIX/Linux is mentioned on the support webpages a lot. I know that Linux can be run in Windows 10; would doing so be the best course of action? Or would it be better to install a dedicated Linux device like a Raspberry Pi connected to the scanner? Would it be best to scrap the whole Uniden system and install an SDR scanner? High-quality radio feeds are very important to me so I would like to pursue the best practices in order to host exceptional high-quality radio feeds.

Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

DC31

Feed Provider
You will need one of the programs listed under Supported Services: Broadcastify-Calls - The RadioReference Wiki

If yours is a conventional (non-trunked) system, probably the voxcall program will be the easiest to set up. The audio source also needs to be a single-channel feed. Not a scanner scanning multiple frequencies.

ChrisABQ

Interesting, I had a response to this topic and it appears to have been deleted by "someone" high up. Does my voice as a feed provider not count or is it because Broadcastify Calls is a "Turd" and will run most feed providers off the air?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Interesting, I had a response to this topic and it appears to have been deleted by "someone" high up. Does my voice as a feed provider not count or is it because Broadcastify Calls is a "Turd" and will run most feed providers off the air?

Time and place for everything. The OP is looking for Tech Support and not your editorial on Broadcastify Calls. Start your own thread in the Broadcastify Admin forum instead of hijacking his.

Thanks.

jasonk

Feed Provider
You will need to utilize an SDR to get the most function. I have experience with Trunk Recorder (Linux) and recently started streaming a windows based feed using SDRTrunkand the Airspy. I would highly recommend you take a look at SDRTrunk - was very simple to get up and running.

The Linux packages are very stable - but you will need some decent Linux knowledge to get those running properly.

SamAltenberger

Feed Provider
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I guess I am still fairly confused about what Broadcastify Calls really does, particularly since it seems like much of its advertised functionality is already present in the ProScan interface (history log, etc.) and it seems like (perhaps with a ProScan app update) that data could be conveyed to the Broadcastify server like feed alpha tags currently are.

To clarify the technologies of these radio systems: Seattle Fire is Motorola Type II SmartZone (KCERS) and Fairbanks North Star Borough Fire is Project 25 Phase I (ALMR).

Would you recommend that I pursue an SDR system to completely replace the Uniden scanner control stations? Would the quality and reliability of the feed be as robust as it is currently with a dedicated hardware scanner?

I also suppose I originally assumed that a Broadcastify Calls setup is just added functionality to a traditional Broadcastify feed, so I totally wanted to utilize the added functionality. I'm now learning that these are two completely separate systems? If I used an SDR, would I be able to simultaneously stream both a Broadcastify Calls system and the traditional stream?

Do you think Broadcastify Calls is worth pursuing at all for my currently-stable feeds? I want to provide very high-quality feeds that fully utilize all of the latest and greatest capabilities of Broadcastify so that listeners have a stable, enjoyable, and fully-featured listening experience. But it almost sounds like perhaps Broadcastify Calls isn't quite ready for full production. If you think I could implement it without the setup being unstable or too much of a headache, and you think that it would add significant value to the feeds for listeners, then I will do it! :)

GeekNJ

I am new to Calls and I would say it is the equivalent of a cloud based ProScan web/RSOP interface but independent of your location and what your local scanner could receive AND the ability to include every other ProScan web/RSOP. I suspect SDRs that can capture swaths of bandwidth simultaneously might allow for even more content captured vs each traditional hardware scanner outputting one frequency at a time. My take on it,

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I guess I am still fairly confused about what Broadcastify Calls really does, particularly since it seems like much of its advertised functionality is already present in the ProScan interface (history log, etc.) and it seems like (perhaps with a ProScan app update) that data could be conveyed to the Broadcastify server like feed alpha tags currently are.

Calls is intended for use with receivers that guarantee reception of all radio traffic on a trunked system (via SDR) or a single channel conventional system (via SDR or conventional receiver). It's not really intended for use with scanners like the traditional Broadcastify system is.

If I used an SDR, would I be able to simultaneously stream both a Broadcastify Calls system and the traditional stream?

Yes this can be done, but there's a decent learning curve to get that far.

Do you think Broadcastify Calls is worth pursuing at all for my currently-stable feeds? I want to provide very high-quality feeds that fully utilize all of the latest and greatest capabilities of Broadcastify so that listeners have a stable, enjoyable, and fully-featured listening experience. But it almost sounds like perhaps Broadcastify Calls isn't quite ready for full production. If you think I could implement it without the setup being unstable or too much of a headache, and you think that it would add significant value to the feeds for listeners, then I will do it! :)

Depends on who your audience is. Most people are still going to be using phone apps to listen, and those aren't set up to take advantage of Calls (yet?). Calls allows you to listen to every radio transmission on a system, and you'll never miss anything because the scanner was stopped on a different talkgroup. The SDR-based software can capture everything on the system without scanning. It's a completely different way of monitoring.

Andy

GeekNJ

I tried VoxCall ( see voxcall beta - VOX recorder and uploader for Broadcastify Calls ) but it isn't working for me. Proscan works just fine with my radio, computer, soundcards, etc. I have ProScan running on an older conventional Uniden recording one frequency with each transmission in it's own file in the Recorder tab of the app. This is exactly what VoxCall is trying to do,

@ProScan - Bob, any consideration for adding support for BroadCastify Calls? It would be what you do today to an additional endpoint.

bdp278

Feed Provider
I just switched over from Proscan, which I could never get consistently running feed using my SDS200 with LAN connection. The Broadcastify platform uses SDR radio as the source of audio.SDR setup involves a really good PC, radio frequency dongles, and free trunking software. There is a bit of learning curve to get the entire system setup, and cost really depends on how many digital trunking systems you wish to capture, each dongle covers a specific frequency range, and costs between $100 to $170 per dongle. All that being said, if what you currently have works well, stay with that. No sense in fixing something not broke. I like the new Broadcastify Calls platform, it will allow me to expand my feed offerings from 1 feed to many more feeds of different agencies in my area, but it is still a new platform that still has a few bugs, but I’m sure they will get them worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.