Importing from ARC396 to ARC536

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I used to own a 396T but I'm soon getting a 436HP. I am not yet familiar with the software for this new radio as I've been accustomed to ARC396 for so long, however I'm asking, am I able to import my files and programming from my 396T files to the 436HP and then continue to edit stuff from there then to the new radio?

I no longer have the 396T as unfortunately it's now at the bottom of a lake. :( but atleast it finally gave me an opportunity to upgrade to a newer radio after having the 396T for many years which have served me well. That was a great radio and very easy to use.

I was going to get a 325P2 but a good price on the 436 came up for me so I went with it instead.

I do consider myself seasoned in the scanner hobby so learning a new radio and software shouldn't be too hard for me to do. I don't consider myself to be one who will rely on the database to keep my radio updated, I very much like to personalize to my own liking and programming.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes the ARC536 software has a tool that will import files created for the 396T. But that software comes at a cost.

As a guy who has a 396T scanner (and a few other models), I didn't consider importing old files when I got my x36 scanners. It is so easy to use Sentinel to import data and create Favorites Lists. Also many of the limitations on the x96 series do not exist with the x36 series, so more programming flexibility is available.

It was also an opportunity to be sure all my data was current.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
So you're saying Sentinel also imports the files from the ARC396 program as well?

I'm not worried about having to pay for ARC536 I've found the ARC programs very easy to use and learn over the years. My background comes from the 246T and the 396T and now moving onto the 436HP.

I just wanna import the file to the new radio or software, edit whatever I have to edit, upload it to the radio, and eventually also make up some DMR stuff as that seems to be gaining some ground in my area as well.

Yes the ARC536 software has a tool that will import files created for the 396T. But that software comes at a cost.

As a guy who has a 396T scanner (and a few other models), I didn't consider importing old files when I got my x36 scanners. It is so easy to use Sentinel to import data and create Favorites Lists. Also many of the limitations on the x96 series do not exist with the x36 series, so more programming flexibility is available.

It was also an opportunity to be sure all my data was current.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Once you get familiar with the 436 and its capabilities and the database that comes with it, you probably won't want your old programming. New systems and system types, changes to older systems (such as agencies converting to digital trunked systems) and options and capabilities not available on older scanners will probably render most of the old programming obsolete.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I am quite familiar with what radio systems are used in my region, so I'm not worried about my programming. Again, I'm quite seasoned in the scanner hobby. I've been listening to scanners for the past 24 years. :)

I am eager to finally move on and upgrade my radio and to learn about these new capabilities that it has. Like I said, I'm moving up from 396T which has treated me quite well over the years. I was sad to have lost it cause otherwise it would've been just fine. The only new stuff I'm getting is P25 Type 2 systems, DMR and Provoice EDACS Digital (which I may hold off for a bit to see what happens in my area)

Once you get familiar with the 436 and its capabilities and the database that comes with it, you probably won't want your old programming. New systems and system types, changes to older systems (such as agencies converting to digital trunked systems) and options and capabilities not available on older scanners will probably render most of the old programming obsolete.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the systems are in the RR database, then you don't need to program them, all you will need to do is copy them from the main database to a favorite list if you want to play with delay settings and suchlike. Sentinel offers multiple ways to do this. Add Channels on Range selects by geographic location and service type. You can right-click on a system or list of systems and choose the Append To Favorite List to add the entire contents of the system(s) to a favorite list.

If you enable Location Control in the favorite list settings, you can add an entire statewide or multi-state trunked system to a favorite list, and once you tell the scanner where it is (either by entering a ZIP code or via GPS), it will automatically scan only nearby system sites within reception range. You generally don't need to manually program only certain sites, or manually toggle sites on and off to prevent the scanner from getting bogged down, though you may want to adjust the service range settings for sites. The x36 scanners are a very different beast from previous models, and the programming will reflect that if you want to take advantage of their capabilities.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No, Sentinel will not import ARC created files. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

The ARC software for your 436 is only a Favorites List editor. There are other programming "things" for your scanner, such as Profile editing, firmware updates, master database updates that ARC software will not do. These things can only be done with Sentinel. (Profile editing is like the 396T Configuration Editor in ARC.)

Also at some point in time, you'll want to replace the SD card in the 436. Setting up a new card can't be done with ARC, only Sentinel.

Also there are new data fields (such as Service Type) in the 436 file structure that are not in the 396, so they aren't there to import. These felds cannot be left blank in the x36. So you'll still have a bunch of editing work to do with importing.

When I tried importing an ARC created x96 file using ARC536, GPS data was not imported though I haven't tried doing so lately and this could have been fixed.

So I guess the message that I'm trying to send is that you'll still need Sentinel to program your scanner for best results. ARC is good software, but it isn't a "do everything" software.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sentinel is your only option if you want to adjust scanner settings like the GPS baud rate, Close Call mode, time zone, display contrast and brightness, etc., or update scanner firmware or the main database. It's user interface is a bit odd sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, it will do a lot more than most people give it credit for.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the explanation. So ARC for my programming but Sentinel for Configuration type stuff such as search bands etc. and software updates.

So I can import my current 396T favourite lists (profile) or whatever it was called (my profile for programming, but I have to edit my configuration profile in Sentinel and software updates etc.)

If I were to purchase the ARC software for the 436 then I'd be better off just getting the Basic one instead of the Pro version. I really only need it to do my frequency programming for my conventional and trunked systems. I only ever did have the Basic anyways for the 396T.

No, Sentinel will not import ARC created files. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

The ARC software for your 436 is only a Favorites List editor. There are other programming "things" for your scanner, such as Profile editing, firmware updates, master database updates that ARC software will not do. These things can only be done with Sentinel. (Profile editing is like the 396T Configuration Editor in ARC.)

Also at some point in time, you'll want to replace the SD card in the 436. Setting up a new card can't be done with ARC, only Sentinel.

Also there are new data fields (such as Service Type) in the 436 file structure that are not in the 396, so they aren't there to import. These felds cannot be left blank in the x36. So you'll still have a bunch of editing work to do with importing.

When I tried importing an ARC created x96 file using ARC536, GPS data was not imported though I haven't tried doing so lately and this could have been fixed.

So I guess the message that I'm trying to send is that you'll still need Sentinel to program your scanner for best results. ARC is good software, but it isn't a "do everything" software.

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Ok got it now. Thanks. GPS stuff I'm not worried about (for now). I don't usually travel too far anyways and I'm pretty up to par with the systems I need if I do travel out of the area.

Sentinel is your only option if you want to adjust scanner settings like the GPS baud rate, Close Call mode, time zone, display contrast and brightness, etc., or update scanner firmware or the main database. It's user interface is a bit odd sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, it will do a lot more than most people give it credit for.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Once you try GPS, you'll never go back, especially when you travel. It's far more convenient (and far safer if you're driving) to let the GPS turn stuff on and off, than to toggle systems and frequencies manually. If you drive far enough to go in and out of system coverage areas, it's a great time and hassle saver.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Control the scanner" is Virtual Control. That's where you connect your scanner to your computer with ARC536Pro running in Virtual Control. You will see an image of your scanner and using your computer mouse, you can essentially control the scanner, just as if you were moving the scanner controls by hand.

In my opinion, the best part of that feature is it will log transmissions. So if you are interested in who was talking and when, this is helpful.

I have both ARC536Pro and Sentinel. Sentinel is my "work horse". I use it to keep my database current, update firmware, do those Profile/Configuration things and build my Favorites Lists.

I will then use ARC536 to "pretty up" Favorites Lists (the actual stuff the scanner scans), such as change name tags to capital letters, center the tags. Also ARC is used for Virtual Control, though I don't use that very often (couple times a month). ARC is better at managing Quick Keys than Sentinel.

(This is just like any other computer programming. One software does some things better than another software, but the other may be better at different things).

To download programming data with ARC you have to be an RR premium subscriber. With ARC you have immediate access to the RR database. With Sentinel, getting the RR data can take about a week to "catch-up" (Uniden pulls data once a week from RR).

ARC and RR premium have a cost. Sentinel is free.

If you use both Sentinel and ARC for programming, be sure you sync your data. By that I mean if you program a Favorites List with ARC, be sure to read the scanner with Sentinel. Otherwise you could get confusing data later.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Why would they not put the virtual control in the basic version? I know in the 396t version it was in the basic and not just the PRO version. Either which way as one that's used the ARC versions in the past. It shouldn't be too hard to grasp the use of the software. Thanks for the help here folks. I'm glad to know I can import my previous 396t file to this radio. It certainly will speed up the process of programming it to my liking again.

Looking forward to learning this new upgrade for me. Now I just have to make sure I don't lose this one in the lake [emoji14] .

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.