• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Impres charger fw version differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

I'm wondering what improvements FW version 3.9, or 3.11 have over 3.4. I've been told not to use anything below 3.4 for Impres batteries. I was also told 3.9, & 3.11 were supposed to assist APX radios that were on all day sitting in a charger on a desk. So what improvements will 3.9, or 3.11 do for XPR Trbo radios, or XTS 2500 radios using Impres batteries?

buckyswider

I'm wondering what improvements FW version 3.9, or 3.11 have over 3.4. I've been told not to use anything below 3.4 for Impres batteries. I was also told 3.9, & 3.11 were supposed to assist APX radios that were on all day sitting in a charger on a desk. So what improvements will 3.9, or 3.11 do for XPR Trbo radios, or XTS 2500 radios using Impres batteries?

Bump. I also have the same question, so bumping in case someone who knows the answer didn't see this initially!

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
v3.4 was a minor change. Below are the release notes.

Item 1: Battery detection algorithm
Occasionally, IMPRES™ MUC display module software fails to
recognize that a battery was removed from the charger. The display
modules locks up and shows the information from the last battery that
was in the charger/pocket, even with no battery in the charger/pocket.
Display module SW V1.7 algorithm improved to detect battery removal.
Note. IMPRES™ Field Programmer SW V1.07 contains charger SW
V3.4, Display SW V1.7 & Prgmr SW V1.1

v3.9 release notes answer some of your questions. Below are the release notes.

I. Enhancements
None. Motorola is consolidating the different SW versions used in IMPRES desktop chargers (V3.4 & V3.9) into a single version (V3.9) for easy maintenance and support of software platforms. Consolidation began on chargers with 2012 (12XX) date codes and newer. This change does not apply to APX Dual Desktop chargers (NNTN7584, NNTN7585, NNTN7586 & NNTN7593).

II. Corrections
None.

III. Known Issues
None.

IV. FAQ’s
1. What’s the difference between V3.4 and V3.9?
Very Little: APX batteries are fully compatible with XTS chargers (w/inserts) with SW V3.4, therefore upgrading to V3.9 is not required. However, APX radio users leaving the radio in the “on” position will experience longer charging times. V3.9 has added SW to handle this situation if it happens occasionally. Motorola always recommends turning radio “off” when charging.

2. Can I charge APX batteries in XTS chargers with SW V3.4 using APX inserts?
Yes. APX batteries are fully compatible with XTS chargers with SW V3.4. Upgrade to V3.9 is not required.

3. I’m not using APX radios and my chargers have SW V3.4 in it. Do I have to upgrade to V3.9?
No. Upgrade to V3.9 is not required.

Note: No reference to labor warranty is implied, intended or authorized.

The latest which is v3.11 had a few more updates. Below are the release notes.

Enhancements
Motorola Solutions has made enhancements to the software used in IMPRES desktop
chargers from V3.9 to V3.11 to compensate for tolerance shifts in charger components that
may result in Non-IMPRES NiMH batteries being un-chargeable. NOTE: This change does not
apply to APX Multi Unit Desktop Chargers (NNTN7064 – NNTN7077 & 7086), APX Single Unit Chargers
(NNTN7079 – NNTN7085, 7261) or APX Dual Unit Desktop chargers (NNTN7584, NNTN7585, NNTN7586
& NNTN7593)

II. Corrections
None.

III. Known Issues
Some newer IMPRES Multi-Unit Desktop Chargers may display a flashing red LED when
attempting to charge Non-IMPRES™ NiMH batteries. This software enhancement
compensates for the tolerance shift of charger components and eliminates the false “Notchargeable”
condition.

IV. FAQ’s
1. What’s the difference between V3.9 and V3.11?
Very Little: SW V3.11 tolerates hardware delays initially ramping up charge
current.

2. Does this change affect APX Single Unit Chargers, Multi-Unit Chargers or Dual Unit
Chargers? NO since all APX desktop chargers only charge IMPRES™ batteries.

3. I don’t charge any Non-IMPRES™ batteries in my charger do I need to upgrade my
software to V3.11? No. However Motorola Solutions does recommend upgrading
your software to at least SW V3.9 to take advantage of charging enhancements
made over the years.
Note: No reference to labor warranty is implied, intended or authorized.

I hope this helps clear up some of your questions. Motorola is vague in these release notes but it's better than being left in the dark about the changes in each revision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.