• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IMPRES XP RSM waterfall noise on XPR-7550e

KC1LKO

Hello group.

I have a 7550e which I have been using for some time with a PMMN4025 - IMPRES™ Remote Speaker Microphone - Motorola Solutions - EMEA with no issues.

Just bought a used backup 7550e along with a nicer handheld Mic - IMPRESS XP RSM https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/...ppression-rugged-submersible/product/NMN6271A

I have not done much yet with the new backup radio, but trying the new Mic on my existing 7550e. Impressed with the receive audio quality on the new XP RSM.
I understand from Moto site that this Mic is supposed to be for APX radios and not for XPR, but given the seller was using them together and given threads like
I found here, it tells me this mic is supposed to ALSO work with the XPR7550 (though Moto does not state it so...)

My issue/question: I am able to transmit and receive (amazing RX audio) on my existing 7550e but there is a type of hiss/waterfall noise in the background of my transmissions. I do not get this noise when transmitting from built-in radio Mic (vs XP RSM) or from the existing handheld 4025A I already had.

I am suspecting some setting on radio but hopefully not something regarding the radio not really being "fully" compatible with this Mic.

Anyone familiar with this?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The short answer is that the IMPRES RSMs are designed for the APX series. They integrate with the DSP on the APX side to perform advanced noise cancellation. The XPR is not an APX, has totally different DSP/firmware, and I suspect it doesn't play well with the IMPRES RSMs.
Two different product lines with different firmware for different purposes. While it MAY work, it isn't guaranteed to and may exhibit what you are experiencing.

K2NEC

I use the XP mic with a 7550e just about every day (firmware 2.09) with no issues. Whats your firmware and can you post a video of what the sound sounds like?

KC1LKO

More data points:

My original 7550e exhibiting the problem has firmware R02.22.03.1001 and codeplug 22.23.06

I programed my DMR ID and my local frequencies on the 2nd backup 7550e and it DOES NOT exhibit the problem so this gave me some hope. It was using firmware R02.20.01.0002 and codeplug 16.00.08

I tried for a while to match as much as possible of the config between both codeplugs, but kept getting the same results with the same microphone. I was using 3 radios to do this experiment. One was the listener and the 2 7550e radios were the transmitters. I would switch the hand microphones between.

I then updated the firmware on the new to me radio to match the one I already had: R02.22.03.1001 and codeplug 22.23.06

Now both radios exhibit the problem :-(

I will see if there is a newer firmware, but dreading having to start going backwards until there is one that makes this background his/running-water noise not be present on my transmissions. Too nice of a microphone to have this... might as well just get one like the 4025A I already have...

KC1LKO

KC1LKO

Two files inside this archive zip. One has 3x XM then 3x 4025 then 3x XM key downs with no audio. The 2nd file has a key down followed by my voice audio first on the XM then on the 4025 and I repeat it. Apologies for the iphone recording both, my voice direct as well as the 3rd radio receiving.

Attachments

• XM Impres hiss noise.zip
    570 KB · Views: 12

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
What is your noise suppressor set to under General? It should be Basic or Off if using a noise canceling audio accessory. TT

KC1LKO

What is your noise suppressor set to under General? It should be Basic or Off if using a noise canceling audio accessory

Hello,
Thank you for the assist. I have tried it with disabled and with basic... I have new data since my last post... I do suspect much of this is related to AGC and/or Noise Suppression algorithms...

Perhaps I am missing something but no easy way to go back in firmware... I have for now held off on this given new discoveries... see below.
  1. If I PTT and say nothing there is some type of background hiss/open faucet noise.
  2. If I PTT and speak softly the noise gets louder. The radio / mic is trying to amplify my signal...
  3. If I then say something much louder then the hiss/noise pretty much goes away... the radio/mic is trying to reduce my gain...
  4. Once I speak loud the radio/mic seem to remember the AGC level and the noise does not come back until I PTT again.
  5. What I am doing on my QSOs is to start saying something loud then people won't notice this noise... I still think there is a config or firmware incompatibility between this particular model of radio and particular Mic (ie. it was built for the APX apparently... not the XPR)

So this means that either this particular radio firmware is not aware of / in sync with the behavior of this particular mic or there is a setting that perhaps makes this work as you had suggested. I unfortunately have not yet determined what that setting is... once I suspected AGC/noise reduction I have tried a number of combinations of the following... perhaps I missed some as it was late last night. The suggesion given here makes a lot of sense, so perhaps I should make a table of options and try my tests again one by one.

- Noise Suppressor: Disabled, Basic, Enhance, Enhanced Auto (left it Enhanced as I originally had it)
- Fast Noise Suppressor Training Period: 10 (as it was set originally), Continuous (as I left it)
- Mic Distortion Control: On, Off
- Digital Mic AGC: On, Off

I ended up with the below, but not clear it is the 'correct' config.

Thanks again for the help/assistance :)

1686536264104.png

nedflander

I recently Just started to have a waterfall noise being heard by other radio users. Were you able to find a solution/settings to change in order for it to go back to normal?

KC1LKO

Were you able to find a solution/settings to change in order for it to go back to normal?

Negative. Not sure I will keep but have not tested further and not getting reports of noise not sure if due to new settings or using it in truck where I speak louder.