• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Impress battery wont recondition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
I've got an Impres PMNN4077C that the XPR radio reports need to be reconditioned and when I place it in the charger (PMLN5198A) it just recharges and doesn't go into reconditioning mode. I've tried manually forcing it to recondition but it never works.

WB9YBM

I've got an Impres PMNN4077C that the XPR radio reports need to be reconditioned and when I place it in the charger (PMLN5198A) it just recharges and doesn't go into reconditioning mode. I've tried manually forcing it to recondition but it never works.

How does the manufacturer define "reconditioning"? Depending on how far gone the battery is, it may not be save-able but if it is, I guess it could always be done manually...

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
How does the manufacturer define "reconditioning"? Depending on how far gone the battery is, it may not be save-able but if it is, I guess it could always be done manually...
As far as I can see from Moto's stuff is about the same as every other manufacture. The battery is still reporting as within service life as the charger is still charging fine and isnt doing the Red/Green light at the end of a charge. I'm still getting 18 hours of RX with scan and 13 with Average DMR TX and RX with IPSC roam on a XPR6550. I cant seem to get it to do it manually.

WB9YBM

Well, if the red/green light isn't changing colors like it's supposed to--and assuming the charger's working like it's supposed to (is this an accurate assumption?)--maybe the battery's dying. A place like "Batteries Plus" might be able to re-build the pack a lot cheaper than buying a new one...

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
Well, if the red/green light isn't changing colors like it's supposed to--and assuming the charger's working like it's supposed to (is this an accurate assumption?)--maybe the battery's dying. A place like "Batteries Plus" might be able to re-build the pack a lot cheaper than buying a new one...
na, the red/orange/yellow/green light is working as it should but for impress chargers, a red/green alternating light at the end of a charge cycle indicates a bad battery.

K2NEC

What's the date code of the battery?

EDIT: Also, are you the only person that has used this battery or did you get the battery second hand?

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
What's the date code of the battery?

EDIT: Also, are you the only person that has used this battery or did you get the battery second hand?
I'm the only one. The date code is 1309 so its old.

Could be the battery is dying. Replacements are fairly inexpensive. I've rebuilt packs before but not these. I'd just as soon get a replacement.

I'm still getting good performance I'm just wondering why it's not reconditioning. Guess its time to get a new one.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm still getting good performance I'm just wondering why it's not reconditioning. Guess its time to get a new one.

Impres batteries have a microprocessor in them which communicates with the charger to indicate battery status. If it's a true Impres battery in the correct Impres charger, it will recondition when the battery/charger combination decides it's needed.

Until then, enjoy the fact that a battery that old is still working!

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
Does the radio recognize it as an Impres battery when you use the radio utility to check the level?
Yea, the radio does the whole “impress battery” thing on startup and when selecting battery info it says recondition battery.

With a date code 7 years in the past, that means it is most likely made in 2012. MSI post dates their batteries. It's time for a new one.
that’s about what I guessed. Does the charger not recondition them after a certain date? And if so how would it know the date, it’s not hooked up to the battery management software.

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
Impres batteries have a microprocessor in them which communicates with the charger to indicate battery status. If it's a true Impres battery in the correct Impres charger, it will recondition when the battery/charger combination decides it's needed.

Until then, enjoy the fact that a battery that old is still working!
Guess the radio and charger disagree then. Is that common? Both the charger and battery are legit Motorola.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Guess the radio and charger disagree then. Is that common? Both the charger and battery are legit Motorola.

It's possible. One thing I've learned is very important is to stick a new Impres battery in the proper Impres charger before it's ever used. This will charge and calibrate the battery so that everything works right. If the battery wasn't charged/calibrated properly before it was used it could potentially do what you describe.

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
It's possible. One thing I've learned is very important is to stick a new Impres battery in the proper Impres charger before it's ever used. This will charge and calibrate the battery so that everything works right. If the battery wasn't charged/calibrated properly before it was used it could potentially do what you describe.
As far as I remember it's been used in the same charger/radio for most if not all of its life. Could the chip be going bad?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As far as I remember it's been used in the same charger/radio for most if not all of its life. Could the chip be going bad?

No idea on that one. Improper calibration is the only thing I can think of; if the battery was put on the radio and the radio used before the battery got that charge/calibrate process, it could throw that off.

Enjoy the fact that a battery that old seems to the working fine, but plan to replace it soon anyway, especially if it's mission-critical.

K2NEC

It's entirely possible. It almost sounds like the charger doesn't recognize it as a Impres battery even though the radio does.
Enjoy the fact that a battery that old seems to the working fine, but plan to replace it soon anyway, especially if it's mission-critical.
Agreed, motorola recommends the replacement of batteries every 3 years. Now of course if there is nothing wrong with it then there is no need to replace it however sounds like you should be looking to get a new one soon anyway.

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
It's entirely possible. It almost sounds like the charger doesn't recognize it as a Impres battery even though the radio does.

Agreed, motorola recommends the replacement of batteries every 3 years. Now of course if there is nothing wrong with it then there is no need to replace it however sounds like you should be looking to get a new one soon anyway.
The current policy is once they start crapping out or takeing a nose dive in talk time or battery charge. But I think this could count as crapping out, so it’s slated to get replaced next week.

K2NEC

The current policy is once they start crapping out or takeing a nose dive in talk time or battery charge. But I think this could count as crapping out, so it’s slated to get replaced next week.
I have a 2013 Pmnn4069 and I have been meaning to replace it because it has been causing problems since last year but I haven't gotten around to it

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'd keep running it down and recharge it on the impres charger until it does something or just flat out doesnt last more than a few hours

I have a 2010 pmnn4066a on 6550 thats now 10 years old and works just fine. Conditions on the charger fine and lasts around a day if you leave it on scan all day. The service life still shows 100% according to the xpr radio. Ive got another lithium on my 7550e that was new old stock, a 4407, the slimmest for the 7550, dated late 2016 bought last year that has an ever lowering service life, now its on 82, it was great closeout deal at the time and got it cheap new in the box and first used date was when I first used it

Status
Not open for further replies.