Improved Audio Quality on Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4mnd

Feed Provider
I've had several feeds up and running for some time now. They sound ok I guess, but I've noticed that the audio quality on the feeds always sounds "tinny" , or sounds like an "Echo" in a hallway. I've listened to other feeds where they sound so clear, that you think you're listening to the actual scanner! Mine does not sound like that no matter what I do! I have high speed internet (Comcast), with the highest speed they offer, so I can't understand why all my feeds sound like they're on a dial up connection! Can someone please help me with this problem? Liberty/Long county Ga, Chatham county, Ga, and Toombs county, Ga are my feeds if ya wanna listen quick, and see for yourself. Thanks.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, it is best to go into your computer and change the decibal level of your microphone. When I first started my feed I encountered the same issue. It doesn't have to do with your internet connection. Here, let me do a walkthrough for you, let you play around with it and see if it can optimize your feed.

(Windows 7)
1. Go to Start Menu
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Hardware and Sound
4. Select Sound
5. Click Recording tab
6. Click on your Microphone, then Properties (bottom right)
7. Under Levels, you can tweak your Microphone, and Microphone Boost levels.

By default I believe your standard Microphone Boost level is at about +10 dB. I tweaked mine to be at +20 dB and the quality doesn't sound so scratchy or like an echo; and my Microphone level to be at 5. You have to take into account that your scanner is plugged into your microphone jack, so it is based on it's sound level. tweak those levels a bit, then let me know if it helps any. Reminder, don't try and set the dB levels to 0 dB, it would sound god awful.

kf4mnd

Feed Provider
ok, I'll look into it. Also, RR emailed me and said that they ran some kind of bit sample rate, and saw that I was broadcasting in stereo and that this wasn't allowed with my particular feed since it's just a single feed. said that's prob why my feed sounds that way. I unselected the broadcast in stereo option, and that seems to have helped.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It also depends what kind of scanner you're using. Most scanners just have that tinny sound you describe and it is unavoidable, some do not. I had the same issues with an old radio shack scanner on my New Jersey Turnpike feed. I made a home brewed audio filter to tone down that tinny sound and it worked ok. I've since dumped the scanner and am using a profession grade radio I had laying around. It sounds very good now as compared to my other feed on Camden city. That one is an old BC235XLT but it sounds better than the radio shack scanner did.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Also you shouldn't use the MIC input for a scanner. You should use the Line IN.

Mic will boost your volume and make it sound bad.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
yeah i made the same mistake had mine set too sterio instead of mono but im gonna move my stuff too linux better uptimes and more stable wont have the tags unless anyone knows of a streamer for linux that shows the tags ill be searching gotta reformatt mint too ubuntu first mints all right when i was running a flashserver but i dont need that nomore any one who knows id love too know and thanks in advance

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I've had several feeds up and running for some time now. They sound ok I guess, but I've noticed that the audio quality on the feeds always sounds "tinny" , or sounds like an "Echo" in a hallway. I've listened to other feeds where they sound so clear, that you think you're listening to the actual scanner! Mine does not sound like that no matter what I do! I have high speed internet (Comcast), with the highest speed they offer, so I can't understand why all my feeds sound like they're on a dial up connection! Can someone please help me with this problem? Liberty/Long county Ga, Chatham county, Ga, and Toombs county, Ga are my feeds if ya wanna listen quick, and see for yourself. Thanks.
I have found that the scanners that have a "record out" have the best audio. I also notice a lot of signal fade. A better antenna would help too.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
yeah i made the same mistake had mine set too sterio instead of mono but im gonna move my stuff too linux better uptimes and more stable wont have the tags unless anyone knows of a streamer for linux that shows the tags ill be searching gotta reformatt mint too ubuntu first mints all right when i was running a flashserver but i dont need that nomore any one who knows id love too know and thanks in advance

What makes you think Linux has better uptime? My Windows XP machine with proscan has been running for over 400days now. Runs Proscan, Trunk88, Weather Station software, 3 monitors, and a couple of other things.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
What makes you think Linux has better uptime? My Windows XP machine with proscan has been running for over 400days now. Runs Proscan, Trunk88, Weather Station software, 3 monitors, and a couple of other things.

linux better uptimes and more stable
I have the same question. Why you think Linux is more stable then Win machines with regards to audio streaming? My feed on a Win machine stays up perfectly for weeks and months without one bit error unless it was caused by external issues such as power or router failures.

Last edited:

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
cause my windows avg maybe 3days uptime and my linux avg 50+ days that with me leaven it bee just my opton and many who run linux good friend i have avg 300+ on linux and about 4 weeks on windows but some windows user are able too have great uptimes im unable too cause after about 1 week it becomes realiy unstabel even when its fully update may just be me dunno just my option that it

Status
Not open for further replies.