Improving office window antenna

tss1355

Feed Provider
I have a scanner in my office at work and the only thing I am trying to receive is a railroad defect detector about a mile away at 160.230.

For a while I was using a wire-type antenna suction cupped to the glass. It worked well enough, but every now and then was a little weak. So I got a 10 foot BNC cable (RFC195/RG58) and a 6” Laird rubber duckie tuned for 150 to 162 mhz and hung it in the window (photo). This seemed like an improvement as the scanner could now receive a weather radio channel and before it got nothing. But then a train went by and the detector broadcast was broken and barely discernible.

What suggestions do you have for a better window antenna for this application? Would something like a 15” Moonraker MKR-13-313 perform better?

28247E8F-7291-4FE0-AF86-500D646E423C.jpeg

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
So i mentioned this in another thread. Does your office window have tint? Tint in many windows my contain lead to block solar radiation (keep heat out) (but not 100% sure if its accurate) and that will block RF as well. Commercial buildings may have this. I worked in a 6 story office building and the windows were terrible RF blockers. I ended up putting up an antenna (several) in the tiles above my office next to the exterior wall and got much better reception than putting them directly in the window. My office had 8 foot ceiling with i think 2 foot space above it.

tss1355

Feed Provider
Thanks for the advice. I do have access up into the ceiling, however, the front of the building has a brick facade, and at the top of the wall near the roofline, there is a sheet metal facade in front of the bricks. So I’m not sure that going above the wall will help. But it’s worth a try if all else fails.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Does it work after hours when office equipment is turned off? Computers, LED lighting, etc, can raise the noise floor and appear to weaken an already strong signal.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps a wire dipole or a moxon antenna along the edge of the window?

BNC Male Plug to 2X 4mm Dual Banana Female Jack Socket Binding Post RF Coax Coaxial Splitter Connector BNC Banana Adapter Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/0mvg3E3

Attachments

• 1663266966321.png
    1663266966321.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 11

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
How about a mag-mount scanner antenna on a flat or round piece of metal? Pizza sheet tray, coffee can, etc.