In a tower quanrdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boodro65

HELP! I have just erected my Rohn 25 tower, concreted base and about 80ft. My problem is that I was using a tiny corner of my wifes she-shed for my setup when I built the tower. Now I am being relocated to my own shack on the same property but it's about 100ft from my unmovable tower. Is there a way to link them without running 100ft of coax to tie it in with my current tower location? Moving the tower is not an option. I have a second tower and I would put it up as a last resort. OPTIONS? OPINIONS?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Remote radio.

Assuming the radios can be remote controlled, leave the radios in the wife's she-shed and communicate with them over IP from your new location.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are you using? How many antennas hanging from the tower?

For HF, 100 feet isn't all that bad. Use some 1/2" Commscope Heliax between the house and tower. Will only add about a 0.2 dB loss overall at 30 MHz.

For VHF/UHF you could use some 7/8" Heliax, The loss for 100 feet of 7/8" inch Heliax at 440 MHz is 0.8 dB. You can bury Heliax, so there will be no issues with tripping on cables.

If you're receiving up in the 700 - 800 MHz range, you could install a mast mount pre-amp to make up for coax losses.

The only issue is that Heliax and the required connectors are kind of expensive. Especially if you have quite a few coax runs.

FKimble

Build the "she" a really nice shed somewhere else convenient for her , Explain, it's too late to move the tower, the concrete has hardened. Will cost many $$$ to move it.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.