In Australia for business and looking to buy a scanner while here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr1997

Got a buddy here that got me interested in scanning, and am looking to buy a scanner. The local shop has the ICOM IC-R6 that I'm looking at, I've read that electronics can end up costing you a lot bringing back to the US, because you end up paying GST (General Sales Tax) as well as US tax for purchases overseas. But I've also read that personal purchases up to $800 are allowed. Does anyone have any experience with this?

questnz

Welcome to the hobby, BUT hold on, don't rush, I can't tell you about your financial obligation in US but Analog Icom R6 may NOT be the best scanner if you are "new" to the hobby! Don't take me wrong R6 is a good receiver, but it may not be suitable for your needs. Where are you live in US, what state ? what you want to listen to? trunking, analog or digital etc etc. R6 is analog only reveiver and not easy to program or use, as a your first scanner you may be better of with something like Uniden Home Patrol 1 or GRE 800 in fact any scanner with keypad input, they come preprogrammed to your ZIP code. Best if you check some scanner reviews on the web and also check Youtube before you pull the trigger. If you buy in Australia only benefit (if any) is that Australiasian version have NO gaps (Cellular frequency blocked) on end of the day it is no biggie anyway. Good luck, do your homework first

Regards Chris

travisd

Having been to Australia last year, I can't think of any reason to buy something there for export to the US unless it's something that's uniquely Aussie only. Anything that I could get back home seemed pretty overpriced in comparison, especially things like electronics. Looking at the charts, I think the exchange rate is now slightly worse (for US visitors) than what we experienced there.

jr1997

From what I've read the R6 is digital, supports P25 etc... Maybe I'm reading the specs wrong. As far as buying here, I was looking to play with it now vs, waiting to get back to the US. Although the no gaps would be nice, I remember playing with my dad's old bearcat, having to skip around certain frequencies. I've been reading and it looks like cell frequencies are blocked in US, does that mean the Australian scanner is illegal in the US?

jr1997

I think I got it confused with another receiver. I think your right, the R6 is analog.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
From what I've read the R6 is digital, supports P25 etc... Maybe I'm reading the specs wrong. As far as buying here, I was looking to play with it now vs, waiting to get back to the US. Although the no gaps would be nice, I remember playing with my dad's old bearcat, having to skip around certain frequencies. I've been reading and it looks like cell frequencies are blocked in US, does that mean the Australian scanner is illegal in the US?
The Icom IC-R6 sold in Australia only does AM, FM, and WFM, although it does have DCS. Definitely NO P25.

--
Comint

questnz

As I already commented, R6 is ANALOG only scanner, NO digital, No P25, NO trunking, NO Close Call, NO Keypad, If your state went digital, the scanner is not for you. Also hard to program without the software, and not that easy to use. I own one and hardly use it, only real advantage is the small size it is "pocket friendly" easy to concelled, very good for AM air band. For general scanning I am using some Unidens and even old Yupiteru 7100. Exchange from US to Ozzie dollar is lousy and you maybe better off to buy what you want in the States. check Scannermaster

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

jr1997 said:
I've been reading and it looks like cell frequencies are blocked in US, does that mean the Australian scanner is illegal in the US?

Yes, it is illegal to manufacture or import a radio that tunes in the restricted frequencies.

That being said, I doubt anyone would check. There is nothing to listen to there, any longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.