in car, turning off systems won't hold when turn off, then back on

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlopff

Premium Subscriber
I turn on systems and turn off others, when I shut down power then turn it back on it reverts to original settings

When traveling, I turn off my local systems and turn on when I may be. When I turn my car off and then restart later, the scanner reverts back to my local setting.
Bad memory card? internal battery? All systems remain in memory, just the ones i am scanning.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Pressing AVOID one time avoids temporarily. The avoid is cleared when you cycle power.

Pressing AVOID two times avoids permanently.

carlopff

Premium Subscriber
True.. but to turn on and off systems

My favorite is quick key 1
I enter 1.1 to turn on/off system 1, etc

i normally run systems 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4

When i travel to NH I solely use 1.20, turning off the others. but when I restart my car it reverts back to the 1,2,3, and 4. my 436 would hold the systems I turned on.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
When you say "shut down power", are you turning the scanner off by the knob on front of it, or just turning off your vehicle?

The scanner needs to write the changes to the SD card when it powers down. If you turn it off by the knob, it does that, but if you just cut power to it, it doesn't get that chance. Even worse in that situation, if the scanner is writing to the SD card at the time, you could corrupt the card and make it unusable.

carlopff

Premium Subscriber
So then wiring directly to the battery, to have constant power would be the best way to power the HP536 into a vehicle?
any other thoughts?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I guess, but you're still going to end up with a risk of harming your SD card if the radio is shut off, and the scanner can and will flatten your car battery (I've done it a couple of times leaving my 436 on). Furthermore, people have had problems with the radio restarting even if directly wired, because the overall voltage drops while cranking the starter.

Ubbe

Remember to switch off scanner with volume knob after changing any setup. Scanner will say "writing to sd card" and will read back that setting whenever it powers on. If the power cuts out it will not have time to write the current setting and will read back the settings from the last time it successfully wrote to the card.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So then wiring directly to the battery, to have constant power would be the best way to power the HP536 into a vehicle?
any other thoughts?

While you can connect directly to your battery, that may not always "work" because starting the engine causes a voltage drop and the scanner shuts down due to low voltage.

If you look around this forum you'll see some posts on what folks have done on this issue.

At the risk of folks "Gee By Golly-ing" me, my 536 scanner is connected via a switched circuit. When the truck is shut off, the scanner is "powered down". I have yet to experience an SD card issue - got the scanner right after they came out (but have spare SD cards in the glove box just in case).

I do experience what you have - any changes I make are not saved because I do not go through the "turn off via volume knob" process and my changes are "forgotten" for my next scanning session. If I do want the changes saved, I turn the power off via volume knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.