In home antenna options

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigk_54

Hello all, I'm running a 996T that I've had since it came out and it kinda sits there and does its thing. Recently it seems my tower reception strength has diminished from what it was. I have a Valor ProAm PMM3B ( Valor PMM3B Scanner Antenna ) that sits in the window sill stuck to a piece of steel...... Due to wife I can't mount anything outside but window is fair game. Is there anything anyone would suggest, scanner sits approximately 1 1/2-2' from window and I primarily scan law on 800 and local ambulance fire on mid 150 range. Thanks for any advice

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Does that window face the direction of the tower(s) you are trying to hear? If so, try this. You'll also need a 75 ohm coax cable and an F connector adapter to match the connector on your 996T:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=HDBLADE100&d=Solid-Signal-HDBLADE-Indoor-Digital-Flat-Indoor-TV-Antenna-(HDBLADE)&c=TV%20Antennas%20-%20Indoor%20Only&sku=610370580509

nanZor

Challenging for sure.

If your window is tall enough, instead of using a flat piece of steel for the groundplane, you may want to try plopping that magmount over an inverted steel-tennis ball can to try and emulate more of a dipole effect.

No guarantees, but worth a shot! Run that tiny RG-174 coax horizontally away from the mount/can top to the other side of the window and then down to the scanner. It might be a bit flimsy at first, but a little blue-painter's tape can hold that stuff down without damage to the interior - at least for temporary testing purposes.

SCPD

QRT
Get you what is called a " Scanner Antenna suction cup window mount " comes with a BNC connecter & it sticks to the inside of window ,works great., simple to use. jbxfire

bigk_54

Could you put something in the attic?

Attic could be an option!........

Never tried a pre amp of any kind either.

Can't say I'm the most scanner savy, I know my way around but can get easily lost lol

godzilla151

I put an antenna craft sc2 scantenna which is an outdoor antenna, inside behind a bookcase,and after cutting a foot off the top to make it fit, (i know i know), i get much better vhf hi with a pro 2035. Can't say what it will do for the 800 range but it's rated for it.

regent23

I am using a hustler mag mount mobile antenna attached to my window ac, although
it also works well inside I also have one of the uniden window
mounted antennas that came with one of my units that works well also here in nyc.

Status
Not open for further replies.