In memoriam - Mike Tellef

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Many in the Arizona Fire and Lax Enforcement communities knew of Mike Tellef as an officer, detective, and detective sergeant with the Peoria, AZ police department. Upon his retirement, he launched his second career as the PIO for the Peoria fire department and then later for the Peoria police department. He revised the focus of both departments towards public engagement and assertive outreach in community efforts - pushing anti-drowning campaigns, shop with a cop for underprivileged children, and many other programs. He was instrumental in promoting professionalism in the Public Information career field and insisting that it be a separate career and not just adjunct duties when an incident occurred. Many in the Maricopa County area have seen him on television, heard him on radio, etc.

His LinkedIn page.

Mike died 25 July 2021 after a long battle with the complications of replacement hip surgery. He will be missed.

KB7MIB

My condolences to his family and friends. I'm not sure if I ever met him, I may have from my 3 ride alongs with Peoria PD when I was in high school, but I recognized his name immediately.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
My condolences to his family and friends. I'm not sure if I ever met him, I may have from my 3 ride alongs with Peoria PD when I was in high school, but I recognized his name immediately.

John
Peoria

He was about 6' 3" and had 'salt and pepper' curly hair in the 1980s and 1990s. It turned gray afterwards. He was an exceptionally friendly man. A YouTube search might pull up some of his PIO work with the local media.

KB7MIB

I've seen him on TV, I'm just not sure if I ever met him in person. My ride alongs were over 30 years ago lol

I'm currently friends with a retired Peoria officer, and I knew another one, both of whom I met when I was in high school.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.