In over my head with Yaesu FT-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCPHIL74

Hello All!
A while back I picked up a Baofeng just to use as a cheap scanner but became more interested in the Radio World…. I figured I would take advantage of this winter weather and study for my license. I also figured I would get a real radio so I picked up Yaesu FT-60R. I was already using CHIRP for my Baofeng, so I figured I would just be able to copy and past all the local police and fire frequencies from one to the other. I was able to Download from radio from radio, but not UPLOAD to radio. I tried with CHIRP and then I tried with FT Commander. No dice. There are so many videos out there on programming this radio but I can’t find one for programing them via PC.
Any insight on what I am missing?

Yes I know I am lazy, but I figured I would use this as a scanner like my Baofeng.

Thanks so much in advance!

k6cpo

I have four different models of Yaesu radio, including the FT-60. The best programming software and cables for these radios is made by RT Systems. It's possible to copy the setup for one radio straight across to another in their software. For instance, I have the same exact programming for my FT-60 as I have for my FT-7900 dual-band mobile. I also have the same programming in my FT-270 2 meter HT and FT-1900 2 meter mobile.

If you decide to go with RT Systems, you will have to buy their cables as their software is proprietary and will not work with other (Chinese) cables. BTW, if you buy Yaesu branded software and cables, you'll find it's made by RT Systems when you open the box.

RT Systems Radio Programming Software | Control & Cloning Software

NYCPHIL74

RT Systems

Thanks so much for the info on RT systems! Seems really smooth! No quirky issues with drivers? Not having to deal with that is worth the $49.00! Even if I have to retype everything.... Well worth it!

Edit... Ham Radio Outlet has the cable and software $10 cheaper. I think I may have to try this.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007492

Last edited:

jaspanm

Premium Subscriber
The RT systems has my vote!! I program radios for a search team and we are all Tech or better hams so we can talk into and out of searches. Every radio has the same first 200 channels. The commercial radios can be hard to program many with the bank system.

NYCPHIL74

RT Systems

Well I definitely want to take advantage of the 1000 memory slots of the FT-60 and I would really benefit from the use of the banks.

N8IAA

Owned two FT60R's. Both programmed with Commander software. Never a problem. Did you ever download what the default settings for the radio when new? This is what the software asks you to do.
Maybe do a hard reset of the radio, and then download the settings into the software. Make sure that your pc actually sees the cable and the port.
Start with a new file configuration and upload it to the radio. Let us know if you've done all this.
Larry

NYCPHIL74

FT Commander

Within FT Commander, When I try and read from radio I get a run-time error '8002' invalid port message. I was able to read from the radio with Chirp but not upload.

I am hoping the FT Systems software works smoother.

N8IAA

Couple of more questions. What kind of cable are you using? What operating system on the pc? Have you done a hard reset on the radio? In Commander, does it show the USB port connection to the radio?
Larry

NYCPHIL74

FT COMMANDER

Whhhoooo Hooo! Big thanks! I was able to get it up and running. I was able to manually enter in all of I the local public safety frequencies in via FT Commander. I had to play with the ports and check off Use Alternate Write Mode. I don't think I entered the local repeater in correctly but that's not a big deal as I am not taking my exam until March.
So far FT Commander seems pretty cool!

Thanks so much!

WI3EMT

i programmed mine with pc the first time , but the rest of the time just use the keypad on the radio.That rig has the most intuitive user interface I've ever seen in a ham transceiver. I love it. i finally dropped it to many times and the VHF side is borked , and I have no audio at all unless I use a speaker mic , but it WAS my every day carry rig for five years , and I punished the hell out of that thing ! I carry a VHF VX-800 now , and have a bunch of UHF 800's so I'm pretty covered .

nycnewbee

Worked out great with FT Commander. Entered a crazy amount of public safety stuff (all NYPD pcts) and a bunch of aircraft stuff from all 3 local airports.
What I do find odd and It may be the antenna.... I can pick up the NOAA frequencies on my crappy Baofeng radios but not the FT-60.

k6cpo

Thanks so much for the info on RT systems! Seems really smooth! No quirky issues with drivers? Not having to deal with that is worth the $49.00! Even if I have to retype everything.... Well worth it!

Edit... Ham Radio Outlet has the cable and software $10 cheaper. I think I may have to try this.

YAESU ADMS-1J | FT60R PROGRAM SOFTWARE W USB CABLE

No issues with the drivers. A lot of the driver problems with cables purchased through place like eBay are counterfeit Prolific chips in the cables. RT systems makes their own cables and I've never had a problem with any of the three I have. One word of note however. RT Systems cannot be used with any cables but their own. That's just the way it is...

N8IAA

One word of note however. RT Systems cannot be used with any cables but their own. That's just the way it is...

Not true. I used the USB cable from RT for my 80AD with RT software and the Icom software. I've also used my Yaesu RS232 to USB adapter for a variety of Icom and Yaesu radios, including the last FT-60R I owned.
Larry

N8IAA

Worked out great with FT Commander. Entered a crazy amount of public safety stuff (all NYPD pcts) and a bunch of aircraft stuff from all 3 local airports.
What I do find odd and It may be the antenna.... I can pick up the NOAA frequencies on my crappy Baofeng radios but not the FT-60.

Since you are a newer member of RR, I would like to point out that it is poor etiquette to hijack someone else's thread. By clicking on the red and white triangle in the upper right corner of your post, you can ask the moderators to move your post and make it your own:)
Larry

NYCPHIL74

Sorry for the confusion, Larry, but I was original poster. (not saying that I have good etiquette anyways)

Thanks a lot for all the help though. I have the HT all programmed and also bought the FT Systems software as well.

N8IAA

Sorry for the confusion, Larry, but I was original poster. (not saying that I have good etiquette anyways)

Thanks a lot for all the help though. I have the HT all programmed and also bought the FT Systems software as well.

I was referring to nycnewbee. Not you.
Glad you got your radio up and running.
Larry

dksac2

It sounds like you may be trying to program frequencies into the FT-60 that cannot be programmed into it. The Chicom radios have a much wider range as to programming, the FT-60 will only be able to program Ham frequencies within the Ham bands, not the commercial frequencies.
The RT systems are the best programmers for the FT-60 and the FT-60 is one of the best amateur radios on the market for a 2/70CM radio.
You can scan some of the other frequencies, but as far as programming them so you can transmit them, no go with the FT-60. This is the way it should be in my opinion.

73's John

N8IAA

It sounds like you may be trying to program frequencies into the FT-60 that cannot be programmed into it. The Chicom radios have a much wider range as to programming, the FT-60 will only be able to program Ham frequencies within the Ham bands, not the commercial frequencies.73's John

Really:confused: One reason I owned a FT-60R was the fact that I could program in public service frequencies. VHF/UHF milair, plus ham frequencies.
As he stated, he wanted to use it as a scanner. First post in the thread.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.