In person meetups....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I decided to break out a separate thread for this. I have access to a good meeting location in downtown Salt Lake City. I would like to set a date and time for a possible in person meetup in the next few weeks or month.

I need a week or two of notice so let's figure out a time in May. We can target most any days other than Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

The facility is a private office type space for a tech enthusiasts type of nonprofit.

I'm open to days and times but after next Friday, the 19th I may just set a date and hope people can make it.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and scheduled the meeting. It will be on May 25th at 10:00, 801Labs, East 200 South Suite #B, Salt Lake City, UT. Enter in the rear of the building then come upstairs.

This meeting will mostly be introductions, show and tell (bring your toys), talking about future meetings and possible tours, and answer any questions. I will be posting the meetup link for the event in a couple of days.

Hope we can have a good turnout.

mpcpsrego1

Premium Subscriber
I would definitely be interested in coming and meeting other hobbyists from the area! Be nice to have a network to converse with and know who they are outside of a username lol

mortoma61

If there's a next time I'd like to come if it's on a free day/night for me. I am developing a favorite file ( for SDS100 or 200 ) that scans through dozens of unknown talk groups and I'd like to give it to people so we can start identifying new TGs on the UCA. Already I have a list of almost 50 and quite a few are definitely law enforcement, fire and EMS. some are pretty useless, such as admin. or some type of commercial/business traffic. This is all for the UCA. No other systems at this time. And by the time I would come to the next meeting the file might have maybe 100 new talk groups! If I indeed can come to some future get together.

Seems like some are parking infraction related. Does anyone know if some Utah localities have specialized parking cops? I know a lot of places do, especially large cities I have lived in. While smaller localities might just use the regular police. Andy and Barney have to have something to do in Mayberry after all.

In any case they are quite interesting and just scanning them by themselves ( after making a favorite and naming them so they no longer show up as unknowns ) I am really entertained. I also leave this particular favorite in ID search, so that even more newer unknowns show up so I can jot them down. Easy to pick out the new from the older ones since I gave the older ones names in the favorite file. In this way it's really easy for me to add those new ones. Almost too many of the buggers!!

Once I gave anyone interested the file we could together slowly identify the new ones and submit them to the database. Anyone interested in my work?

mortoma61

Never mind all my big talk on the new TGs. I was doing it wrong! Just when you think you have learned something about the Uniden SDS200, you eat crow. As of now, I actually have only one new talk group, which is rarely used and I have no idea whether it's a Utah or Salt Lake county TG.
I am now sitting on it with my recorder on and will have to leave it on recording and logging (using ARC536PRO software logger) when I'm at work. Before I was getting what I thought were new talk groups by the dozens but found out later that the scanner will see anything as a new talk group if you are not actively scanning it at the time. For example if you only scan part of the UCA, (let's say just Provo talk groups) then anything else will be picked up as new even if it isn't. Found out the only way to do it is to ID search with the entire UCA system loaded up, even the non-public safety boring stuff.
The new TG I am trying to ID is 44416, but I may never ID it since it might only be used for less than a minute a day. But it's definitely police because one guy was asking about a stolen credit card and how to report it.

mortoma61

I will never be able to make meetings on a Thursday or Friday. I understand that by far most people would be able to because most people don't work odd hours like me. I get that!

Looks like a lot of you are Hams. I used to be but I quit. Still have a license until 2023 and usually renew it for the heck of it but I am not active in the hobby, nor do I enjoy it. And I don't give out my call sign either, the lack of privacy being one of the things I never liked about it. Any Joe can look you up.

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
Here is the agenda for the meeting on Saturday:

• Introductions
  • What is the URSG
  • Discussing URSG Future
    • Classes
    • Field Trips
  • Show and Tell
  • Hang out!

Hope to see you there! Bring your scanners or other tools to show off and talk about

KD7DDC

Premium Subscriber
It's being held at 801Labs
353 E 200 S Suite #B, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

There are a couple parking spots in the back or front. The entrance is in the back of the building and you access through the tunnel. We will be upstairs.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

kf7yn

Sorry I missed the meeting. Had to take care of an unexpected issue. Hope to make the next meeting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.