In service v. Out of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigSauer229

When both my local VFP and the neighboring FD return from a call they will often state if they are "in service" or "out of service". Can someone explain the difference to me. Someone once told me out of service would be the vehicle is not available, i.e. squad is out of supplies. But I never hear a vehicle going back in service on the radio, until the next call that is.

I appreciate any help on this.

Bill
ps I'm in Medina , OH

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Around here in Columbus it's quite simple. Out of service means the vehicle is unable to perform it's duty (tanker out of water, medic out of supplies, mechanical problem, etc). The dispatching computers will automatically assign the next closest apparatus to the run if a vehicle is out of service. In service means the opposite, the vehicle can perform its duty, and is ready for the next call.

D

DaveNF2G

It depends on where you are. In most areas, "in service" means available and "out of service" means unavailable. There are exceptions. Some fire companies in eastern NY call "out of service" when responding to an incident. Others call "in service" when responding. Just keep monitoring until you pick up the context, then the local meanings will be obvious.

CLTX11

You probably dont hear them calling back in service til they are assigned another call because they are using their on board computer to let dispatch know they are available instead of verbal communicating.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Also, in my area, the VFDs call "in service / available" when a call is received. They use this to indicate that they are responding to the station to pick up a truck. They then go "out of service" once the call is complete and they are leaving the truck at the station. Out of service means the truck is sitting turned off at the station and the volunteers are back at their house. I guess technically, the truck IS out of service, since at the moment is doesn't have personell to man it.

Hope this helps a little...

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
For uor department, it's pretty much as already described. We'll call out of service if the engine needs to be put back together. Normally, we call dispatch on the phone to let them know when we're back in.

nexus

Down here on the gulf coast, as far as fire service is concerned, if someone goes 10-7 out of service, that would mean the aperatus (engine, tanker, rescue, wildfire etc.) unit is not usable for whatever reason, being engine broke down, or pump broke down, or is being worked on for routine maintenance and so forth. 10-8 "in service" well that would mean that the aperatus has been activated and is either in route to a call, or is at a call operating. (10-10 standing by) would mean the aperatus is available for calls.

For law enforcement, if a officer goes 10-7 (out of service) it means they've ended their tour of duty for that shift and are no longer subject to being called for assignments. But they could say "unit 0219 is 10-7 at the garage" and that would mean that patrol car is not going to be on the road for whatever reason because it's out of service.

Once on scene and command is established, Command will determine what apparatus to keep on scene and informs dispatch what units to return to service. Dispatch calls out each returning unit number, Then the units reply with there unit number and "In Service and Returning to Station".

Dispatch will call out a station number and "The following units will be out of service until (time and or date). For repairs,ect.

als365

UFEMTFF said:
Also, in my area, the VFDs call "in service / available" when a call is received. They use this to indicate that they are responding to the station to pick up a truck. They then go "out of service" once the call is complete and they are leaving the truck at the station. Out of service means the truck is sitting turned off at the station and the volunteers are back at their house. I guess technically, the truck IS out of service, since at the moment is doesn't have personell to man it.

Hope this helps a little...

Out here in Northeastern Nevada it's mostly volunteer and it all depends on how you use in/out of service on the radio. When you get a call, you can be "in service to the vehicle accident at <location>". Our here, out of service usually means the vehicle is not available. You can be out of service mechanical, or out of service due to staffing, etc. When we get back to the station we usually say "back at station" or "back at the barn". We also say "10-42" which is a police code for going off shift, but for EMS/Fire it just means that we're back at the station.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Ussin in NJ have it like this. In service is that we are enroute to the call, out of service is that we are back at the bldg and AVAILABLE. We also out out of service that the truck is out of service (broken).
Headquarters ambulance one, we are out of service at the squad and available

or
headquarters ambulance one, show this unit out of service until further notice.

and headquarters ambulance one, in service to 123 main st for resp distess.

Status
Not open for further replies.