In the market for a new mobile scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrom67

Hello - I am currently going through a work injury and since I have all of this free time on my hands I am now looking into getting a new scanner.

Can anyone tell me what kind of scanner I would be able to start off with? I have seen a few sites that say that there are certain mods for certain scanners so I am looking for one that there are mods for.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
vrom67

fnnm1062

longtime member
Well it would depend on where you are at, what you are trying to monitor and the systems they use, and the types of features you are looking for

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
RHFD910 said:
Well it would depend on where you are at, what you are trying to monitor and the systems they use, and the types of features you are looking for

Agreed. The scanner model best suited for you would be indicative of where you are located and what type of systems there are to monitor: conventional, trunked, analog, digital. Modifications may or may not be of any use to you depending on what can or want to hear in your area. I highly recommend that all members put their location in their profile info (such as RHFD910 and myself do), or at least in the text of their message. It would make responding to such queries much easier and require less back and forth.

kyguy

Uniden 996

Cover almost everything !!! Go with the 996 !!! Well worth the extra $$$

vrom67

In the market for a new scanner...

kyguy said:
Cover almost everything !!! Go with the 996 !!! Well worth the extra $$$

I was considering a more inexpensive, handheld, portable scanner that I can listen to a wide variety of frequencies including, fire station, police, sheriffs and whatever I can listen to here in the Fresno, CA area.

Another plus I am interested in is one that I can find mods for for frequency expansion. The way I see it is that, if those workers comp. PIs can monitor me then I should be able to listen to them, if you know what I mean.

As I mentioned in an earlier post that I am going through a work related injury and I've heard that the workers comp. system don't pull any punches when it comes to watching or investigating injured employees.

Just out of curiosity; How does the BC246T rate with all of you guys?

Or is is there one that is comparable to the BC246T that might be better.

I am basically looking for one in the $100-$200 range as the workers' comp. benefits are almost nothing compared to what I was making while working.

Thank you for all of your advice,
vrom67

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.