In the market for SW rig

swman

A web page worth reading in regards to the NRD-545 including many issues that can appear. I have also heard that it's very common for the front panel electronics to fail due to ESD damage. Can't be fixed anymore (no parts). The overpriced converter option was DOA (or semi-DOA) with some boards and when they did work was no stellar performer.

https://www.qsl.net/n9ewo/nrd545.html

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To address GOM's comments about HF portables, there are quite a few out there worth mentioning, even if they have their own foibles- Sangean's ATS909x2, Tecsun's H-501, PL880, PL660 are all worthy performers in their own right. But there's one that everyone seems to miss, and sad to say, it's the last we will see of these any time soon - the Belka DX. I had heard that there was a Belka One (or a similar name) under development, but with the War, I think it's safe to say we won't hear from that developer for quite a while, if ever again. I hope that I'm proven wrong, as from all reports, that little box did a stellar job especially for its price point.

Of course these are all current models. There were several older portables and a couple of portatops by Drake (the SW4A -especially after the passband tuning was replaced- and the Eton E1 in which Drake had a hand) that were real go getters in their own right

Mike

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
So how do you feel about internet radios ?

Want to hear those swl programs maybe even listen to a format that has never really caught on here in the USA
That being digital radio mondiale (drm)

Then take your browser over to http://kiwisdr.com/public/

Suddenly propagation is not a problem , I know it is not the way you are use to listening to radio.
But could be very enjoyable .

majoco

Stirrer
Still my favourite - the JRC NRD-515 plus the memory unit and the speaker - but I see they are going for more than $6k on that auction site. I paid less than NZ600 for mine back in 2006 from a ham radio dealer.

KB2GOM

Still my favourite - the JRC NRD-515 plus the memory unit and the speaker - but I see they are going for more than $6k on that auction site. I paid less than NZ600 for mine back in 2006 from a ham radio dealer.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the 515 is the best-looking of the NRD units. Good on you for nabbing one. If you ever get bored with it . . .

RichardW9RAC

Been almost a year to the day since I started this thread and search, and I am still without! After kicking and screaming that I would never own an SDR I'm sold on the Icom R8600 from the comparisons I have watched on YouTube. Have not ordered it yet, but will soon. That scope is also a real handy thing to have. I own TS990s and FTDX101d, both with scopes, and I just do not think I can go back to the 90s. 73 Rich W9RAC

I have a ICOM IC-7100 I inherited from a late friend, despite it is a moble ham rig (I currently do not have a license, should just go get it!), I have found it to be a great radio for shortwave listening and above 30mhz. NB stops EMI and other QRN/QRM dead in its tracks, sensitivity/selectivity is good, I could go on....

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I have a ICOM IC-7100 I inherited from a late friend, despite it is a moble ham rig (I currently do not have a license, should just go get it!), I have found it to be a great radio for shortwave listening and above 30mhz. NB stops EMI and other QRN/QRM dead in its tracks, sensitivity/selectivity is good, I could go on....
Based on you knowing what QRN/QRM is already.... I'd suggest full speed ahead, even if you don't want to transmit now, if you ever do, you might not want to have to wait for a license.
Good luck

Thanks
Joel