Incomplete air traffic control freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billjones91581

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why do air traffic controllers and pilots never say the third number after the decimal? I.e. they say "Contact Detroit approach on 124.97." when the freq is actually 124.975. Are they really in such a hurry they can't spend another second saying the last number? Or do their radios have different numbering schemes that prevent them from adding the third number?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Why do air traffic controllers and pilots never say the third number after the decimal? I.e. they say "Contact Detroit approach on 124.97." when the freq is actually 124.975. Are they really in such a hurry they can't spend another second saying the last number? Or do their radios have different numbering schemes that prevent them from adding the third number?

When the controller tells me what freq to switch to, they leave off the last # because it is assumed that the radio will automatically add the 5 at the end (it always does) and to speed up radio communications. Check out this brochure that has a great image of the front of a Com Radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.