Increased tariffs on lithium batteries

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
While the Biden Administration’s tariff increases (aimed primarily at China) are what I consider a reasonable attempt at preventing China from flooding the US market with cheaper goods such as solar panels, EV vehicles, etc., there are also some new ones. One is a particular item that relates to li-ion batteries… not the EV batteries, they are already noted yonder EV’s, just all other li-ion batteries. I imagine this refers to the batteries used in ham and scanners, among other consumer goods that are powered by li-ions. That’s a lot of batteries when you consider all the cordless items that use these batteries, from cordless drills to toothbrushes! Will we see a price increase in ham, scanner and commercial comms gear? While the Biden administration’s intent is to enhance their appearance of becoming tough on the economy (presently lagging behind Trump by 7 percentage points), they may have just shot themselves in the foot. But there’s also this-these tariffs aren’t supposed to come into effect until 2025-26, well after the election. Will the Biden administration then revisit the tariff issue pertaining to these consumer li-ion batteries? Or maybe they aren’t even included to begin with? The article I read didn’t specify but here is an excerpt of what I read…

“More tariffs will follow in 2025 and 2026 on semiconductors, whose tariff rate will double to 50%, as well as lithium-ion batteries that are not used in electric vehicles, graphite and permanent magnets as well as rubber medical and surgical gloves.”

I corrected what I took as a typo-the article originally read “elective” vehicles. I change elective to electric.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
To the members that had posts deleted, feel free to take your political discussions elsewhere.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It’s not a political discussion. It’s all about the possible added costs to what’s near and dear to us. I can’t just come out with a statement about possible increased costs without answering the obvious question of where’d you hear that?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
To the members that had posts deleted, feel free to take your political discussions elsewhere.
KevinC,
I hope my reply satisfies your concern about political discussions. My post should not be taken down as it has no political content favoring one way or the other. It only explains why the prices may go up and when, which yes, the reason is political in nature but the topic isn’t. I am not advocating who to vote for one way or another.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
With a little luck, maybe the recent discovery of lithium on the Nevada and Oregon border will allow the US to be lithium independent. This discovery won't help in the short term, but it may help push down prices on the global market.

Boombox

Well, a 50% increase in price on lithium ion batteries sort of sucks, being that a lot of portable radios use rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries, as do cell phones and other devices. I guess I had better buy a few more BL-5C's before they go up in price... I guess there is yet another year before they kick in, so there's that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, a 50% increase in price on lithium ion batteries sort of sucks, being that a lot of portable radios use rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries, as do cell phones and other devices. I guess I had better buy a few more BL-5C's before they go up in price... I guess there is yet another year before they kick in, so there's that.
For that reason, they may back off a little, too, at least until we can get a foothold in the industry in this country.

prcguy

With a little luck, maybe the recent discovery of lithium on the Nevada and Oregon border will allow the US to be lithium independent. This discovery won't help in the short term, but it may help push down prices on the global market.

Mining lithium seems to be a nasty toxic endeavor, I doubt the U.S. will ever drive costs down due to all our regulations and we don’t employ children for the process like other countries.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Australia and Chile produce most of the Lithium and mostly in different ways from each other. China imports Lithium, refines it, and then makes those batteries. They also do this using their own Lithium as well. Li-Ion batteries used in devices is where China is leading.