Increasing scanner range...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamT

Hello,

For the past few weeks, I've been using my scanner setup to monitor a railroad frequency approximately 30 miles away. I almost always pick it up to an extent, but I'm rarely able to understand the transmissions. I've tried moving my antenna to different windows in the house, usually granting the same results.

Is there something I can do to increase range without switching to an outdoor antenna?

I am currently using a Tram 1094 and a BC125AT.

Thank you,
Adam.

Ubbe

A discone works pretty well on VHF, it equals a 1/4 GP. Using a dipole or GP that give more gain would probably not fit in the window. If the walls around the window doesn't attenuate too much and there's no metal frame around the window that holds it to the wall, then a 5/8GP would have a 4ft long vertical element and then the ground plane elements add to that. I use a Diamond F23 for VHF that's really good but it's 15ft long.

If you have any FM broadcast transmitters nearby then the scanner could loose sensitivity so try a FM trap filter. Also listen in the 150MHz band for any constant transmitting pager signals that show full signal on your signal strenght indicator. Set the attenuator on when checking for strong signals in the VHF band. Then you probably could need a pager filter from PAR electronics but it's $120 so it's only as a last resort and if you are sure that it really would help.

/Ubbe

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
an outdoor antenna designed for the frequency bands you want to listen to and as high off the ground as you can get it

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This works well for picking up everything between 100MHz and 900MHz:

Higher is better. Good coax is important, too.

AdamT

This works well for picking up everything between 100MHz and 900MHz:

Higher is better. Good coax is important, too.
Thanks! This could be very helpful, I’ll keep it as a last resort if all else fails.
Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.