Independence County’s System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagunagma

I am a very green newbie, that is just starting out. I do believe I’ve researched all the proper “New Member” pages, forums, etc and I do hope I’m posting correctly. I’ve looked at Independence County’s Database to determine what type of scanner I need to buy to listen to Public Safety channels but I don’t know what I’m looking for to see if they are analog, digital, trunked, etc. Can someone help? Thank you in advance. Leslie.

wbswetnam

Leslie, I moved away from Batesville a few years ago, but I think that most of their communications are still analog. Independence County Sheriff (154.980) and Independence County Fire/OEM Dispatch (154.025) are the primary ones to monitor. Batesville Fire Dispatch (155.820) is analog and unencrypted but the Batesville Police Dispatch on 155.940 is full-time voice inversion and unmonitorable (well, kind of, there are easy ways around it, just as with Independence County SO's 'channel 3' on 155.535). There are a few digital channels in the county. Floral Volunteer Fire Department and Thida VFD are DMR digital and unencrypted, and South Side VFD is NXDN and encrypted, while all other volunteer fire departments in the county are still analog. Vitallink EMS tactical (155.385) is also DMR digital unencrypted, while Life Flight 4 is 461.500 analog.

Now, what scanner can you use to monitor these frequencies? Actually, you can monitor the analog channels very cheaply. I suggest the Uniden BC125AT handheld scanner. It is a great sub $100 handheld scanner, and is easy to program with computer (it comes with programming cable and the programming software is a free download from Uniden) or even program directly through the radio itself. If you want to monitor the DMR digital channels and monitor the statewide digital system, called AWIN, then you'll need to shell out some more money for a digital scanner, which are typically in the $350 to $650 price range.

I hope this helps.

lagunagma

Wow
Leslie, I moved away from Batesville a few years ago, but I think that most of their communications are still analog. Independence County Sheriff (154.980) and Independence County Fire/OEM Dispatch (154.025) are the primary ones to monitor. Batesville Fire Dispatch (155.820) is analog and unencrypted but the Batesville Police Dispatch on 155.940 is full-time voice inversion and unmonitorable (well, kind of, there are easy ways around it, just as with Independence County SO's 'channel 3' on 155.535). There are a few digital channels in the county. Floral Volunteer Fire Department and Thida VFD are DMR digital and unencrypted, and South Side VFD is NXDN and encrypted, while all other volunteer fire departments in the county are still analog. Vitallink EMS tactical (155.385) is also DMR digital unencrypted, while Life Flight 4 is 461.500 analog.

Now, what scanner can you use to monitor these frequencies? Actually, you can monitor the analog channels very cheaply. I suggest the Uniden BC125AT handheld scanner. It is a great sub $100 handheld scanner, and is easy to program with computer (it comes with programming cable and the programming software is a free download from Uniden) or even program directly through the radio itself. If you want to monitor the DMR digital channels and monitor the statewide digital system, called AWIN, then you'll need to shell out some more money for a digital scanner, which are typically in the $350 to $650 price range.

I hope this helps.
What a lot of awesome info. Thank you so very much. I’m looking at the Unidentifiable BC365CRS as it includes the NOAA radio. Thank you so very much for all the great info. It’s much appreciated.

wbswetnam

Wow

What a lot of awesome info. Thank you so very much. I’m looking at the Unidentifiable BC365CRS as it includes the NOAA radio. Thank you so very much for all the great info. It’s much appreciated.

You're welcome. Here's a possible scan list for you:

Independence County Fire/OEM 154.025
Independence County Sheriff Dispatch 154.980
Batesville Fire Department 155.820
Life Flight 4 operations 461.500
Stone County Sheriff Dispatch 155.190
Stone County Fire/OEM 154.355
Izard County Sheriff 154.740
Izard County Fire/OEM 154.085
Sharp County Sheriff Dispatch 155.520
Sharp County Fire/OEM 155.925
Ambulance to Hospital ER 155.340
Nationwide Law 155.475
Aircraft Emergency/Distress 121.500

You won't be able to get State Police, Jackson County Sheriff or Cleburne County Sheriff because they are digital, and you can't receive White County Sheriff or Lawrance County Sheriff from Batesville for reasons of topography. But, the above channels should keep your scanner pretty busy.

BTW most scanners include NOAA radio. On the Uniden BC125AT, for example, you simply press <Func> then <3> and there it is.

Last edited:

lagunagma

What an awesome person you are. You’ve saved me a tremendous amount of time. Your time is very valuable and I’m very grateful for you sharing it with me. Are you familiar with the scanner I mentioned? I happen to have the one you told me about but it’s permanently locked and I can’t figure out how to unlock it so I boxed it up to return it. Maybe I’ll call the 800 number to see if they can help. I guess it’s worth a shot since you mentioned that particular one. Let me give it a whirl and I’ll let you know how it goes. Again, thank you so very much for your time, Leslie.

wbswetnam

What an awesome person you are. You’ve saved me a tremendous amount of time. Your time is very valuable and I’m very grateful for you sharing it with me. Are you familiar with the scanner I mentioned? I happen to have the one you told me about but it’s permanently locked and I can’t figure out how to unlock it so I boxed it up to return it. Maybe I’ll call the 800 number to see if they can help. I guess it’s worth a shot since you mentioned that particular one. Let me give it a whirl and I’ll let you know how it goes. Again, thank you so very much for your time, Leslie.

You already have the BC125AT, and it's "locked"? Try this: Turn it on, then press the orange FUNC key, then the <L/O> key immediately after. That should unlock the keyboard.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, what wbswetnam has said is all correct - the info in the database on here for Ind Co is mostly accurate (it's basically what he said) so you can use it for reference, too.

Most stuff is easily monitorable around here, sans the BPD and ICSO Tac 3. If using his suggested scan list stuff above, I would put Ind Co stuff in it's own bank in the scanner and then the others in other banks...that way you can turn banks on/off as desired and it isn't hanging up on other counties and you miss stuff locally.

Some traffic in Stone County is DMR but some is still analog.

The statewide AWIN radio system is used by several state agencies as well as others but it does require a digital scanner capable of receiving P25 system traffic...and they are upgrading AWIN to phase 2 so you'd want to get a phase 2 scanner IF you wanted to monitor Arkansas State Police, Arkansas Game & Fish, Arkansas Highway Police, Arkansas Dept of Emergency Management, etc. Some of the fancier scanners that get phase 2 P25 can also be made to receive DMR, NXDN, etc., as well, but you are talking about a few hundred bucks for one of those.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know about Southside's law enforcement situation?

Are they patrolled by the county SO or do they have their own police department?

I'm out and about up yonders frequently, but can't recall seeing any city marked cars. They just lowered the speed limit to 45 MPH on Hwy 167 so I figured they petitioned AHTD for that so as to generate revenue, along with public safety.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know about Southside's law enforcement situation?

Are they patrolled by the county SO or do they have their own police department?

I'm out and about up yonders frequently, but can't recall seeing any city marked cars. They just lowered the speed limit to 45 MPH on Hwy 167 so I figured they petitioned AHTD for that so as to generate revenue, along with public safety.

Just like all other towns in the county, except Batesville, they are patrolled by the ICSO. The Southside city council had requests from citizens after several accidents seriously injured or killed drivers/passengers that, since the number of businesses had increased along that stretch of roadway, that they do a study/evaluation of the speed. It was reduced from 55 to 45 due to the increased traffic in/out of said businesses. They have stated that they get no revenue from traffic citations now or before the change.

wbswetnam

I thought that I read in the Batesville Guard a few months back that Southside was going to get a part-time town marshal. He/she would still be dispatched by the Independence County SO, however.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I thought that I read in the Batesville Guard a few months back that Southside was going to get a part-time town marshal. He/she would still be dispatched by the Independence County SO, however.

Haven't heard that. No such position exists currently.

wbswetnam

Southside has what is probably the only fully digital encrypted volunteer fire department in the state. If Southside were to have its own police force, you can expect that to be enc, too. :rolleyes:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
That was the decision of the fire chief for whatever reason. No other towns/cities in the county have their own force other than Batesville and there's no reason to think that's going to change anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.