Independence MO and Kansas City MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

qt31005

I wanted to know if anyone knows what Kansas City is doing. If they will be going off of Indep (Independence MO) useing it as a metro wide thing or if every city is doing their own thing. Also I saw a post about MSHP. I wanted to know if anyone has heard of anything new.

mjthomas59

I haven't heard anything specific about kansas city, however Saint Louis City is getting ready to make the switch over to a APCO-25 system in the near future. Ive heard talks that this will be the beginning of a statewide system.

Saint Louis City is a good choice to begin because their system is inadequate a majority of the times in terms of coverage area. Where it goes from there i have no clue, Saint Louis County has a lot of money tied up in their radio system and from what i've heard from the users themselves, it works pretty well.

Saint Charles County Sheriff, Saint Charles City, and Independence are the only 3 digital systems that come to mind off hand in the state, i think Joplin was in the process of getting digital as well.

Either way, it takes many months for a large area like saint louis city or kansas city to migrate to a new system, and i suspect the pace of other users coming online to any "statewide system" would be several years off. I mean for the love of god, the highway patrol is still using lowband and you would think they would be the first to step up to the plate and demand funding for a digital network.

rankin39

The story is that, over a period of several years, the whole Metro region including counties on the Kansas side will move to a 700 MHz. interoperable system. This is still considerably in the future. It does NOT involve using the Independence system metro-wide; these would be several distinct but interoperable systems. The MSHP has licensed some 700 MHz. channels for interoperability purposes, but as far as I know is not actively planning to move their ops off of low-band.
Bob, w0nxn

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
mjthomas59 said:
Saint Charles County Sheriff, Saint Charles City, and Independence are the only 3 digital systems that come to mind off hand in the state, i think Joplin was in the process of getting digital as well.

Add Buchanan County / Saint Joseph - their P-25 system has been up for awhile.

Leavenworth County, which is part of MARC, is building a mult-site sub-system within the State of Kansas P-25 system. It will be interesting to see if other counties in the area join in too. The main system controllers are already in place and KDOT is spreading the cost of equipment over 10 years with no interest for cities and counties who join the system- not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.