Indian Point Tone Alert Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Recent news stories indicate Entergy is supplying "tone-alert radios" to some residents near the Indian Point nuclear power plant in Westchester County.
This is an excerpt fom an AP story dated 8/8/08:
"The new emergency siren system around the Indian Point nuclear power plant may not be quite loud enough to get the attention of everyone in the area, so nearly 2,500 households are being offered special emergency radios, officials said Friday. The "tone alert" radios are similar to weather radios that automatically issue a warning if a tornado is near, for example. The Indian Point radios would be activated if there is an emergency at the nuclear plant- about four minutes after the sirens go off. The radios run on household current and come with six AA batteries for a power backup. Entergy will pay $60 for each household's radio, the batteries and shipping and will send new batteries once a year. The radios, still being manufactured, will be shipped as Entergy receives them, the NRC said. Acceptance is voluntary."
Does anyone know if these are regular National Weather Service all- hazards radios? Or are they using a special frequency?

I believe it's a 220 MHz frequency.

Their tower site in Harriman, NY is shared with other services and I recall viewing an inventory of antennas mounted on the tower and theirs was a 220 MHz yagi.

bezking

lol would this be it?

(Hey! My 900th post!)

Attachments

• 3895530_49bafc8c81_o.jpg
    3895530_49bafc8c81_o.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

K2GOG

I emailed a link on Entergy's website back on 10 Aug. I just got the following reply:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the frequency of the tone alert radios. We apologize for the delay in getting back to you. The radios are preset to WHUD 880AM, which is also identified as an emergency alert systems (EAS) station. Does that answer your question?

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you need additional information, please let us know.

Regards,

Emergency Planning Communications

glad to see they can get these special AM radios out to folks. I bet they tried to figure out how to get them for as cheap as possible but bill us tax payers for some real fancy radios.

lipwak

I got mine 9/12 or 9/13. A pic is attached. They seem to be made by ASI Industries. Mine came tuned close to but not quite on WHUD-FM. (It was easy to tune it better.)

My notes on how it's worked:
9/22/08
I have had my radio for a week, no test seen/heard.

between 9/22 and 9/23, 11:10 am
weekly test - alert light flashed after siren test, eas tones, spiel from WHUD, good quality audio

9/25/08 11:25 pm
monthly test - different tones, long silence, terrible audio,

10/1/08 I notice at 11:46 (am?),
weekly test, light on, no audio test.

I've been in touch with their PR people (Burson-Marsteller) and am a bit confused on what should happen when. Some tests are silent, some have a prerecorded blurb from WHUD that has good audio quality, some blurbs have terrible audio quality. I plan to blog their tests but will let you know when that's up. I have also uploaded the guide to the radio (TAR Directions).

Cheers,

John L

Attachments

• PA050001.jpg
    PA050001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 543
  • TAR Directions v 8.21.08.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 967
Status
Not open for further replies.