Indiana Paging Network?

YalekW

Does anybody ever listen to what is actually pumped out of their transmitters? I know several other companies do this same thing along with most medical sectors but Man, why blast 150+ miles of POCSAG from 72-473 Mhz for? Theyre just ruining their reputation with disobeying HIPAA here!! lol. Its also worth noting their transmitters can be received all the way from northern kent county, MI via my home. (mainly from KNKJ297). Absolutely unusual....

west-pac

Does anybody ever listen to what is actually pumped out of their transmitters? I know several other companies do this same thing along with most medical sectors but Man, why blast 150+ miles of POCSAG from 72-473 Mhz for? Theyre just ruining their reputation with disobeying HIPAA here!! lol. Its also worth noting their transmitters can be received all the way from northern kent county, MI via my home. (mainly from KNKJ297). Absolutely unusual....
HIPAA only applies to medical professionals; not paging companies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea, I've seen a few medical pages near me. Yea there can be a bit of info in the pages. I only lasted an hour, one can only take so many pages for empyting catherter bags, fecal related activites and equipment alarms, call Joe Bob @ 867-5309 referencing pimple on butt, Marthas 1:30 appt for a rash in genital area. It used to be more but a lot of new pager systems and companies advertise encryption services for medical pagers and yea of course they use hipaa in their advertising scheme

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
HIPAA only applies to medical professionals; not paging companies.

More accurately, it only applies to when there is an "expectation of privacy" which is why it does not apply in many cases including to ham radio supporting emergency and public service event. I am amazed at how many people really do not understand that. I had a boss once who came down on me saying I had violated HIPAA when I told people a co-worker called me and told me that he wanted me to tell his co-workers he was fine and it was appendicitis.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
"Pager systems are only HIPAA compliant provided that no unencrypted identifying details of a patient are sent across a pager network."
Unless there is both a first and last name of the patient or some way to identify exactly who the patient is, a violation did not occur. And the law in general only applies otherwise when the is an expectation of privacy involving a covered entity--which is why it does not apply to ham radio. The truth is the whole law is absurd as for over 5 decades, there was no problem. Today, it is used by businesses to make money by selling encryption and/or training people.

longrf01

Well...

IPN has two parts - the 72MHz subsystem is a one-way hop-by-hop relay from the paging terminal in LaPorte. The second subsystem are the UHF transmitters. Site controllers receive the 72MHz messages, store them, and using timing signals (most likely GPS) so all UHF transmitters state-wide "launch" the page at the same time.

They do offer AES-encrypted pagers. Up recently, mine worked quite well. The reason I finally put it in the desk drawer is ...

They have been trimming back their coverage area. While Fort Wayne still has coverage, I no longer have coverage in DeKalb/Steuben/Lagrange.

And least you say paging is dead - I have a client who is proposing a large Fiber-To-The-Home network. They intend to build out a paging network connected to their network monitoring system (NMS). The reason being they have letters of intent with the the big three (VZW, ATT, TMO) to provide the cellular backhaul for all cell sites in their area. When their network goes down, no way to alert the troops. For the same reason, they're putting in a P25 system - no network means no cell phones and makes restoring the network more difficult.

Last thought - a few years ago when I worked for the feds we all had pagers. We couldn't take any other kind of electronic device into our working area and we couldn't tie up the taxpayer's phones with personal calls. Spouse pages you, you leave the working area and go the cell phone charging lockers in the lobby and make your call. One day someone did the math and realized the government would save money by allowing personal calls because you'd shave four minutes off securing your workstation, leaving the area, retrieving your phone, plus four minutes getting back through security, dialing the combination in to unlock your desk drawer, logging back into your four different workstations, blah, blah, blah.