Indiana police fatally shoot gunman holding child

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLHOOK

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — A flurry of angry text messages set the stage for a meeting in Terre Haute between a divorced couple that spiraled into a deadly confrontation.

Before the incident ended early Thursday, a Terre Haute mother of four would be dead, and her ex-husband would lead police on a 40-mile chase along I-70 until his sport utility vehicle could go no farther. An Indiana State Police trooper fatally shot him, police said, as he held a child on his lap and appeared to point a gun at officers.

Her four children, ages 2 to 6, were with Jessica Jones, 26, "and watched their father kill their mother," said Bill Bergherm, the Terre Haute Police Department's assistant chief of criminal investigations.

Police said she was shot at least seven times by her ex-husband, Major Jones III, 27, Indianapolis, as she tried to escape into a motel lobby late Wednesday.

Major Jones took the children out of her van and put them in his SUV. Three of the four children were the couple's, and the fourth was Jessica's, Bergherm said. Jones headed east on I-70 and was quickly spotted by police.

Sgt. Richard Myers of the Ind. State Police talks to the media. Watch Video (Clip Syndicate)
Officers used tire-deflation devices to try to stop the SUV, blowing out the vehicle's front tires and right rear tire. But the vehicle continued on for about 40 miles before stopping when the wheels were so worn down that they wouldn't turn anymore, said Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Richard Myers. At times, the SUV reached 90 mph, police said.

Jones released three of the four children but then began pointing the gun toward police officers and at the child sitting on his lap, Myers said.

That's when Trooper Terry Watson, 27, fired one shot, striking and killing Jones. Watson is a member of the State Police emergency response team and was on duty during the chase.

Any officer at a scene like that has to act on the information available, said State Police 1st Sgt. David Bursten. In this case, Jones was wanted for questioning in a homicide, Bursten said, and had been on the run.

"If he is wanted for suspicion of killing one person, what's the difference to that individual if he kills more than one person?" Bursten said of the decision to use deadly force.

If the person begins making threatening gestures with a gun, as police said Jones did, "you can't wait for the bad guy to shoot first," Bursten said.

Officers used tire-deflation devices to try to stop the SUV of murder suspect Major Jones, blowing out the vehicle's front tires and right rear tire. The vehicle continued on for about 40 miles before stopping when the wheels were so worn down that they wouldn't turn anymore.
The incident started at a prearranged meeting about 10:50 p.m. Wednesday. The couple agreed to meet at the Ramada Inn in Terre Haute so Jones could pay his former wife child support, Bergherm said. Jones had asked to stop by her home, but Bergherm said she refused.

Police believe text messages found on Jessica Jones' cell phone help explain what happened next. The messages indicated Jones didn't want anyone else to have a relationship with his ex-wife, and Bergherm said Jones knew she was seeing someone else.

Investigators did not release the contents of the messages.

Witnesses at the Ramada reported hearing a woman scream and saw Jones holding a woman in a headlock with a gun pointed at her head, Bergherm said. The woman was forced into the van, and as it started down the road, she managed to get out and run across U.S. 41 to the Drury Inn, where she worked.

Because of the hour, the door was locked. Jones called out to the clerk, whom she knew, "Open the door; he is going to kill me."

She never made it inside.

During an autopsy Thursday, seven bullets from a large-caliber handgun were recovered from Jessica Jones' body, said Vigo County Coroner Dr. Ronald Kohr. Jones had been struck in her extremities and twice in the head.

Jessica Jones filed for divorce in August 2005, and the dissolution was granted in June 2006, Marion Superior Court records show.

Jones was to pay $151 a week in child support for his three children. The court granted joint custody, with Jessica Jones having primary custody.

The Associated Press reported that county officials were working to place the children with Jessica Jones' mother.

Sharon Moore, a family friend, said relatives were stunned by the turn of events.

"His personality was great; he loved his kids," Moore said. "This is a church family. . . . There is nothing you can say bad about him."

She pointed out that Jones' mother was instrumental in establishing The House of Refuge, a home for battered women.

"We never would have thought this would have happened."

Last edited:

Viper43

The pursuit ended in Hendricks Co and it occured a few days ago. As for their comments about having nothing bad to say about him..... maybe they ought to look closer. There was a history of him abusing the ex, which was why she was an ex.. He also had juvy troubles, and wasn't the "angle" his family claims he was, not too mention some say he was a gang member.

V

usswood

Viper43 said:
The pursuit ended in Hendricks Co and it occured a few days ago. As for their comments about having nothing bad to say about him..... maybe they ought to look closer. There was a history of him abusing the ex, which was why she was an ex.. He also had juvy troubles, and wasn't the "angle" his family claims he was, not too mention some say he was a gang member.

V

Lets only focus our thoughts on the Children that will have no mommy or daddy for the rest of there lives!!!

Viper43

usswood said:
Lets only focus our thoughts on the Children that will have no mommy or daddy for the rest of there lives!!!
In that case take the kids from HIS mother, she couldn't raise him right, and shouldn't be allowed to raise these kids or any others either. Odd though, there has been no talk about her parents.....

V

usswood

Viper43 said:
In that case take the kids from HIS mother, she couldn't raise him right, and shouldn't be allowed to raise these kids or any others either. Odd though, there has been no talk about her parents.....

V

Thats a very blind assumption isn't it. People are responsible for there own actions. Now if he was still a juvenile then maybe. But he is an adult that was married, HIS MOTHER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT NOW. You are really something with the way you think aren't you.

Im starting to wonder how old you really are

Viper43

Well as a juvinile he had a long list of tunins... so no, it's NOT an assumption, she couldn't deal with him, how is she going to deal with 4 more kids. It's not just him though, a number of kids she took in over the years had issues as juviniles and they continued into adulthood. Obviously when there is a trackrecord there are issues. So maybe doing some research would be adviseable before running off at the mouth.

V

Viper43

exdry said:
it said they were working to place them with her mother not his...unless i misread it

Well that may be what they said but I know for a fact that all 4 were placed with his mother..... Do you always beleive what the media tells you?

V

usswood

Viper43 said:
Well that may be what they said but I know for a fact that all 4 were placed with his mother..... Do you always beleive what the media tells you?

V

No...I only Believe what VIPER says...He knows everything....yeah right

KC9NEG

The backbiting rampant in the Indiana forum is certainly enough to discourage participation IMHO. Can't everybody just mellow out???

Todd/Indy

Viper43

usswood said:
No...I only Believe what VIPER says...He knows everything....yeah right
No, fortunately I don't know everything, but I do know a family down the street from where the mother lives, they know the mother they talked to the mother after she got the kids and the kids are there until further notice. This family has kids the same ages as these 4 and they have known the family for many years.

V

Viper43

usswood said:
Time to lock this one Moderator!!!!!

Why because you were proved wrong, pretty sad you have have to cry about having a thread locked when your wrong.
And BTW, the kids are at his mothers home, I saw them today. So far they are doing OK, not sleeping well but thats to be expected. They are playing some with my friends kids after school. The oldest is back at school (a new one for her), hopefully it works out for them. Neighbors are helping as they can, but it's a fairly poor area

V

usswood

Viper43 said:
Why because you were proved wrong, pretty sad you have have to cry about having a thread locked when your wrong.
And BTW, the kids are at his mothers home, I saw them today. So far they are doing OK, not sleeping well but thats to be expected. They are playing some with my friends kids after school. The oldest is back at school (a new one for her), hopefully it works out for them. Neighbors are helping as they can, but it's a fairly poor area

V

I just don't like you anymore...thats all and I'm going to end up typing something that will get me banned, and I don't want that. Your to arrogant for me, You know everything, you know everybody and how everybody is. You are so FULL of YOURSELF it makes me SICK to even LOOK AT A POST OF YOURS NOW. I thought you were a pretty good guy until that UCON stuff and you and your W8 friend. Really think about it....If you guys are smarter than the moderators, go start your own forum, then no one can tell you that your wrong. But in life my friend we are all wrong and we all make mistakes. Just like the status bit comment you made yesterday. "I'm checking with a friend" I don't believe you scanner Freak is what you were really saying...Your not me, you can't be right scanner freak" Your almost certifiable. So I have had it with you and you won't get anymore replies from me in ANY THREAD YOU START OR COMMENT IN, and I wonder how many others feel the same as I do. When you start telling moderators they don't know what they are talking about, it's time for you to start looking in the mirror!!!

Also, I see you on here every minute of the day...Don't you have a life outside of this forum and your apartment?? go find a friend!!!

Viper43

usswood said:
I just don't like you anymore...thats all and I'm going to end up typing something that will get me banned, and I don't want that. Your to arrogant for me, You know everything, you know everybody and how everybody is. You are so FULL of YOURSELF it makes me SICK to even LOOK AT A POST OF YOURS NOW. I thought you were a pretty good guy until that UCON stuff and you and your W8 friend. Really think about it....If you guys are smarter than the moderators, go start your own forum, then no one can tell you that your wrong. But in life my friend we are all wrong and we all make mistakes. Just like the status bit comment you made yesterday. "I'm checking with a friend" I don't believe you scanner Freak is what you were really saying...Your not me, you can't be right scanner freak" Your almost certifiable. So I have had it with you and you won't get anymore replies from me in ANY THREAD YOU START OR COMMENT IN, and I wonder how many others feel the same as I do. When you start telling moderators they don't know what they are talking about, it's time for you to start looking in the mirror!!!

Also, I see you on here every minute of the day...Don't you have a life outside of this forum and your apartment?? go find a friend!!!
\

You need to chill, first off the "moderators do not know everything", and UCON is one prime example. I actually talk to the people invovled in setting it up and running it, as well as those who pay the bills for that system and the ones who use the system, and that has NOTHING to do with this thread. I'm not full of myself, I however do make mistakes, and will admit it when I do, however when I have friends involved in a situation I will not let someone tell others the wrong information, who cares what the news says, they are wrong most of the time on information like that anyway.
As for the time I am on here, hey, can I help it if I have a job that allows me to do more than just work? Heck, even when I am working I am normally having fun. The majority of my work is at home and on the computer. I work at the most 30 hours away from home a week, the rest of it could be 40 hours on the computer, and I'll take a break and jump on here. Most of my work week though is on weekends, except May and the end of July when I am the speedway. My weeks during the 500 are the only ones I work 80+ hours away from home.... heck of a job if you can do it. BTW, I am a freelance sports photographer :) You only live once, enjoy it, quit being an old grump, maybe you need a job change so you can chill out......

Have a nice day :)

V

Status
Not open for further replies.