indiana scanner law (info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesox4life

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9100/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i recently sent emails to my state congressmen concerning the law and how it applies to emergency personnel. I have received a response from one of the congressmen's office stating that he will be contacting other committee members and will be bringing itup in the 2011 session. I encourage everyone that is anybody in emergency services to email your congressmen and encourage them to back this bill in 2011.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you talking about the current law or a new law?

If the current law, what issues do you have with the wording?

W9NES

Indiana State Law IC 35-44-3-12 *(Current Law*) is very clear on the scanner issue.If you are a Ham Radio Operator with a vaild license you are exempt from the law.If you are asking about Indiana HB 1060(*New Law*.The bill did not become law and Ham Radio Operators with the help of a inside contact inside the house from Bloomington along with the ARRL got this killed.Now all of us that are Ham Radio Operators do not have to worry about this any longer.

whitesox4life

The current law only allowws emergency personnel to monitor frequencies that they have written permission for. The law will be updated due to the changes in radio communications since the law was written.

W9NES

What changes? 35-44-3-12 is the current law on the books.Please share with the rest of us your current infomation and list the changes.Thank You

whitesox4life

it will not be changing anything for HAMs and the scanner law. Just changing it to allow emergency personnel to have a scanner in their POV and monitor any frequencies they need to in order to learn more information about and incident in which they are responding (when responding to scene or station and only have pager).

ind224

So again they need to stroke the pen over something that should not have been an issue in the first place. I see nothing has changed since the last Indiana law thread....

Make it a crime to use a SCANNER (not "police radio" as per the weak definition) during the commission of a crime and drop all that other anything that is no longer required.

Hams have a built in exception yet first responders get buggered. Brilliant.
Yup,I'm in Indiana......and they still wander........

Last edited:

scannerfreak

Database Admin
In all reality, law or not, does anyone really think there is an officer in the State that would hassle a first responder over having a scanner?

jerk

In all reality, law or not, does anyone really think there is an officer in the State that would hassle a first responder over having a scanner?

Oh I know one or two, and even some fresh out of Plainfield.
Most with a few years under their belts don't give my scanner a second glance in restaurants and such places. But I keep it turned down.

jamesa53

Whats truly insane about this law is that you can carry a loaded handgun in Indiana with a permit and cannot have a scanner unless you are a HAM, but in Illinois you cannot carry a loaded handgun at ALL but you can carry a scanner anywhere with no stipulations.

And, oh yes, some ISP care VERY MUCH about scanners and enforcing the scanner law.

Status
Not open for further replies.