Indianapolis Power & Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjdewey

Radio Man, ComL, ComT, Auxcomm
I saw recently that the Indianapolis Power and Light was building a new 800 MHz trunked radio system
to replace the old system they had. According to the FCC database the emission designator is 8K60D1W.
In the FCC and APCO emission designator code lists this does not exist. Does anybody know what type
of system it will be and if it is on line or when it should be operational.

aaron315

I saw recently that the Indianapolis Power and Light was building a new 800 MHz trunked radio system
to replace the old system they had. According to the FCC database the emission designator is 8K60D1W.
In the FCC and APCO emission designator code lists this does not exist. Does anybody know what type
of system it will be and if it is on line or when it should be operational.

P25 Phase II. Supposed to be on line this fall.

SCPD

QRT
IPL Indianapolis Power and Light is already P25 Digital and has been for two years now they are sharing freqs and systems with Marion County MECA IDPS System2 also they are sharing tower space it is weird they are using the CC of System 2 Marion County Government and then there new freqs it should be in the RR DB look there to see how to set it up

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5737

aaron315

So what do posts 3 or 4 have to do with the new system being built to the benefit of IPL?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
IPL has already built there P25 system that is what my post is about there is no new system going online this year

SCPD

QRT
IPL Radio history back a few yeas ago IPL built there own P25 Digital radio system they own there radios and towers and equipment. They made a deal with at that time MECA to merge the two systems on both sides to better there coverage and merge the tower sites. If you pull up the IPL radio license and MECA license you will see where they added the merged tower sites. This way PD FD and EMA and Dispatchers can get a hold of IPL fast incase of a major power outage or major emergency. If System 2 should fail IPL still has there own P25 system. IPL has added a few more radio frequencies to there system hence the new FCC fillings. If you watch the scanner you will see on System 2 the radio frequencies of IPL show up and the CC of MECA IDPS System 2 hence the Merge of the radio systems by Micro wave and IP. If you so chose you could program in all the IPL FCC radio frequencies and just add the MECA SYS 2 CC and just hear all of IPL Only. Or just put in the TG of IPL in MECA IDPS SYS2 and listen to IPL either way IPL is ALL P25 Digital and has been for some time now. If any one has questions on IPL Radio System just call or email the contact on the IPL FCC License and talk to them especially if you are an IPL Customer.

SCPD

QRT
To my understanding the new Citizens Energy will be building a new P25 Digital system yes but also will be linked into MECA IDPS System 2 as well since the waist water is already on there so be looking for new TG with the new frequencies as well on MECA IDPS

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Only the Phase I part will be linked. The rest is Phase II. IDPS formerly MECA, is not Phase II compliant, and thus the TDMA data and TG's will not be carried on the IDPS system. This is why I have gut feelings, IDPS will upgrade to Phase II capability in the near future.

GTO_04

Only the Phase I part will be linked. The rest is Phase II. IDPS formerly MECA, is not Phase II compliant, and thus the TDMA data and TG's will not be carried on the IDPS system. This is why I have gut feelings, IDPS will upgrade to Phase II capability in the near future.

Will a new FCC license be issued before this happens?

GTO_04

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
When they do decide to upgrade , they will only have to modify the licenses to add the emissions designations for P25 Phase 2. By the time we see pending apps for changes, they will most likely be at least 30 days old or older. Most data in the FCC databases is at least a month behind actual status. Remember, they could also get an STA to begin operating TDMA anytime they wanted to tide over the legalities until everything could get lined up. But most likely, we all would know in advance by monitoring and hearing agencies do calls for all radios to do "touches" to enable the TDMA functionality. They would also have to do a simple "touch" on the repeaters and consoles. Agencies I could see that actually need TDMA: IPL, Citizens, IDOT for System 2. On System 1, IMPD especially as they are merging Lawrence in, Fire/EMS, It would ease congestion at peak usage times, and allow for growth. Anyway, I have no official word on the entire IDPS systems upgrading yet, but the proof for the Citizen's upgrades is already there in writing on the licenses.

For examples of just how far behind FCC data is, just look at the licenses for narrowbanding that are just now appearing, and pretty much all narrowbanding was completed a year ago. Also, there still is not an single App, STA or otherwise for Hamilton County's upgrade, and they already staged the system, and are ready to build and roll. I figure we will be monitoring it befroe it clears the FCC backlogs lol...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
OK.... It appears that with the last updates IDPSC has added the 8K60D1W to their emissions listings also... There is still no official listing for this designator, and the only official designators for Phase II start with 9, except the one 8K50 one that is an TDMA listing in Harris findings (other than the 7K60 for DMR).... The usual P25 designators are 8K10***, 8K70***, 9K70***, 9K80***, so maybe this is a new FCC universal P25 voice/data cover all mode? Not sure if IMPD etc has upgraded from the old XTS's they used to carry to APX's fully yet or not, so can't judge Phase II capability that way lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.