Indianapolis Public Safety w/G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayfire11

Premium Subscriber
I am going down to Indy and have programmed by G5 but I want to make sure I have all the optimal settings taken care of to listen to it. I have the WACN at BEE00; System ID at 262, I have 4 sites (Hamilton RFSS 1 Site 3; Madison Co RFSS 1 Site 4; Marion County Public Safety RFSS 1 Site A; Marion County Gov't RFFS 1 Site 14. I have 4 control channels for Hamilton, 5 control channels for Madison, 4 control channels for Marion County Public Safety System 1 and 4 control channels for Marion County Gov't System 2. What else might I need if anything, please help

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Site 14???? You need to relook at that. There is 10, 20, 3, 4. At least currently. System 1 is currently site 10. System 2 is currently site 20. Once they finish all the upgrades and radio replacement cycle that may change back to site 1 and 2 again.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Site 14???? You need to relook at that. There is 10, 20, 3, 4. At least currently. System 1 is currently site 10. System 2 is currently site 20. Once they finish all the upgrades and radio replacement cycle that may change back to site 1 and 2 again.
14 is the hex equivalent for 20 decimal (just as A is for 10), the Unications use the hex numbers for programming.

If you have all 4 sites in the same system you may want to separate them into 4 systems that way you can select what site your radio is receiving. By having them all in the same system the radio will lock onto the first received site and will stay on that site unless it losses the signal, possibly causing you to miss some traffic.

Clayfire11

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Not to be dumb just not sure hire to do that. Can you try and explain a little better. My system alias is Indy. WACN is BEE00, system ID is 262, site list is 4, 16 control channels

usswood

Ok. Not to be dumb just not sure hire to do that. Can you try and explain a little better. My system alias is Indy. WACN is BEE00, system ID is 262, site list is 4, 16 control channels

Sounds like you have the WHOLE system uploaded, If your wanting only the Marion County Public Safety (System 1) part of it, there are only 4 CCs for that sub-system... sounds like you might not have drilled down far enough to only import the above sub-system only... thats why
scannerboy02 mentioned
If you have all 4 sites in the same system you may want to separate them into 4 systems that way you can select what site your radio is receiving.

you might have all of the sub-systems together which will slow down scan time

Last edited:

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
What was said above is sort of what I was getting at.

The Unication will not "scan" multiple sites in the same system, it will "lock" on to the first site it receives and will stay on that site until it loses the signal. So for example if the radio "locks" on site 3 you will not receive traffic from any of the other site.

The solution to this is to create 4 different "Indy" systems with each system having only 1 site in it, say "Indy 3", "Indy 4", "Indy A" and "Indy 14". You would then setup 4 different knob positions (or zones) each with the same (or site specific) talk groups but the individual "Indy x" system assigned to it.

Clayfire11

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have the WHOLE system uploaded, If your wanting only the Marion County Public Safety (System 1) part of it, there are only 4 CCs for that sub-system... sounds like you might not have drilled down far enough to only import the above sub-system only... thats why
scannerboy02 mentioned

you might have all of the sub-systems together which will slow down scan time

so exactly what do I need to do

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
You only need system 1, and the 24 MCFR tg for fire/ems, and the 6 or so IMPD TG's to have all that.

DiGiTaLD

You only need system 1, and the 24 MCFR tg for fire/ems, and the 6 or so IMPD TG's to have all that.
This. The way the PSC system is set up, talkgroups are pretty much locked-on to a single "site" (in actuality a simulcast cell that the radio sees as a single site).

For instance, unless something is really wrong, you will never see Site 10 talkgroups (beginning with a 1 in decimal format) on Site 20, 3, 4 or vice-versa. The system won't allow the affiliation and I'm pretty sure the personalities are set up in the subscriber codeplugs for a site 10 talkgroup to always prefer site 10, a site 20 talkgroup to always prefer site 20, and so on. This is how they get away with running the same system ID across all four sites (cells) without having radios roaming all over the place and hogging up all the system resources.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
S1 tg can access s2 with a few keystroke by dispatch this was set up a couple years ago and redone the last time s1 had issues. And it's those issues that brought the need for the current upgrades to the forefront.

DiGiTaLD

S1 tg can access s2 with a few keystroke by dispatch this was set up a couple years ago and redone the last time s1 had issues. And it's those issues that brought the need for the current upgrades to the forefront.
Yep, failover. That's what I meant by "unless something is really wrong." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.