indiegogo.com -> XiOne - The portable Software Defined Radio - SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatliner

Only 100 kHz up to 1.7 GHz? So, essentially a £5 dongle and HamItUp converter with less bandwidth.

The XiOne is already looking old hat. How fast SDR is moving this year. A couple of years ago, I would have sold a kidney for that.

(And guess who's waiting for a HackRF? I don't think that I've mentioned that before! :eek:)

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the clue is hat Wifi and you can connect it to your Laptop, Tablet,... and it have an Akku (or via USB?!) so its for mobile use perfect.

Flatliner

I don't see the advantage. It needs power, so it will need constant power to use - what advantage does a battery give you? Portability? Explain why that's better that just powering it from a laptop USB port? Other that a short range WiFi connection for a tab/phaflet, for a short time, until the battery goes flat, I don't see the innovation here. It looks like a TV dongle meets HF up-converter meets Raspberry Pi.

Nope,I don't see anything cutting-edge here. But I'm still listening and happy to be convinced of otherwise.

Last edited:

Your_account

Banned
do you know a product who fit in your backpack when you are in a city and allow you to scan around?
Sure a Pi and a Dongle. The Company say to me the would make an comparison be between an regular dongle and here product. The say there Chipset is shielded what the regular dongle not have.

Hack RF and all that stuff are nice when you are home and have space for 1000 Cable, Connector,... but in the City when every g count you cant use it and you need something more handy.

NYG

I like the connectivity options, but at the heart of this it's still an 8 bit RTL device. To me the main selling point would be the software, it would have to be excellent otherwise I would put my money towards different hardware.

You can already use an RTL dongle with Android. There has been an application available for a while now for around $10 or so.

Honestly though, if I'm going to buy another 8 bit device it's going to be a HackRF for the BW and frequency coverage and you get the bonus of TX.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure others will feel differently.

Your_account

Banned
Android Software is for livening Audio ok but when you want to analyse some different Data Android is no solution. But how do you do it when you are leave your House? Do you take all your stuff with you?
I dont want take a Pilote Case with me full of Mainboards and Cable, Akku and other stuff. How do you handle that?
Hack RF Cost in the German Shop 299€ (~400 USD) and this just ~103€ (139USD) thats 3x cheaper.
For what did you need that bandwidth?

NYG

Android Software is for livening Audio ok but when you want to analyse some different Data Android is no solution. But how do you do it when you are leave your House? Do you take all your stuff with you?
I dont want take a Pilote Case with me full of Mainboards and Cable, Akku and other stuff. How do you handle that?
Hack RF Cost in the German Shop 299€ (~400 USD) and this just ~103€ (139USD) thats 3x cheaper.
[FONT=&quot]
I don't think anybody needs to carry around a suitcase full of gear if they want some portability these days. What lacks for true portability (or small form factor) is good software. As I said in my original post, if they design some killer mobile software that would be the selling point to me, otherwise in my opinion this is just another 8 bit RTL device with additional connectivity options.

That's not to say that this won't appeal to other people.

[/FONT]

Your_account

Banned
sure but the Dongle is ok for home conditions when i use some amplifier and cooling and many other stuff but when i leave my home i need some more professional who is cheap to.
There is nothing between the hight-end SDR and the very low price dongle.

Flatliner

Are you a rep for them perchance?

If they were to provide an ext-io.dll that will work over TCP then the device could be useful.

POE also, very useful when remotely positioning on CAT5.

Flatliner

It has less that 1/3 of the freq. range for that 1/3 of the price also. And HackRF is 100% open source.

6GHz give me access to 5Ghz WiFi. I perform a lot of WiFi debugging for sites, and up to now I've not had anything to look at the RF environment on that band.

Your_account

Banned
yes i ask them in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xivero.gmbh
the say it shuld work with SDR# (over Wifi i dont know) and yes thats cool! I would use an "hidden" Antenna und this in my Backback and nobody care about an Tablet in this days.
yes does it have? i dont know.

for what does i need open source? I can life with closes source when my application (SDR#) work.
For what do you need Wifi "debugging" abroad ?

In my case that are very usefull when i am walking/ moving and i want to listen some Audio or record some Data (ADS-B on the Airport)...

Flatliner

I debug poor WiFi for clients, hence 5Ghz. Since my last post on this thread, I've now got a device for that anyway.

Anyway, it could be useful for a niche of a niche, depending on price.

Status
Not open for further replies.