• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Individual Business License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dpatt711

I want to have 3 handheld radios that can be used by different people w/ encryption capability. They will be used for non-fixed location commercial activity. Can I as the individual and not the commercial entity get a license? If so what is the cost and process for doing so? (Location US)

Last edited:

nd5y

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you read the eligibility section of part 90, you will find that generally you need a commercial activity to obtain a license in business industrial service. See below:

§ 90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.

(a) Eligibility. Persons primarily engaged in any of the following activities are eligible to hold authorizations in the Industrial/Business Pool to provide commercial mobile radio service as defined in part 20 of this chapter or to operate stations for transmission of communications necessary to such activities of the licensee:

(1) The operation of a commercial activity;

(2) The operation of educational, philanthropic, or ecclesiastical institutions;

(3) Clergy activities; or

(4) The operation of hospitals, clinics, or medical associations.

(5) Public Safety Pool eligibles are eligible for Industrial/Business Pool spectrum only to The extent that they are engaged in activities listed in paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this section. Industrial/Business Pool spectrum many not be utilized for the purposes set forth in § 90.20(a).

This took some digging, here is a license that shows no commercial activity: KDX311 - SMITH, HAROLD K but this individual may have listed an activity that was eligible when requesting coordination. A common one was veterinarians. A further check, shows this licensee is in business of land clearing.

By the way, establishing a business is fairly easy in most cases. A service business is best because retail or any sort of sales triggers state scrutiny as far as sales tax reporting.

Last edited:

Dpatt711

If you read the eligibility section of part 90, you will find that generally you need a commercial activity to obtain a license in business industrial service. See below:

§ 90.35 Industrial/Business Pool.

(a) Eligibility. Persons primarily engaged in any of the following activities are eligible to hold authorizations in the Industrial/Business Pool to provide commercial mobile radio service as defined in part 20 of this chapter or to operate stations for transmission of communications necessary to such activities of the licensee:

(1) The operation of a commercial activity;

(2) The operation of educational, philanthropic, or ecclesiastical institutions;

(3) Clergy activities; or

(4) The operation of hospitals, clinics, or medical associations.

(5) Public Safety Pool eligibles are eligible for Industrial/Business Pool spectrum only to The extent that they are engaged in activities listed in paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this section. Industrial/Business Pool spectrum many not be utilized for the purposes set forth in § 90.20(a).

This took some digging, here is a license that shows no commercial activity: KDX311 - SMITH, HAROLD K but this individual may have listed an activity that was eligible when requesting coordination. A common one was veterinarians. A further check, shows this licensee is in business of land clearing.

By the way, establishing a business is fairly easy in most cases. A service business is best because retail or any sort of sales triggers state scrutiny as far as sales tax reporting.

It would technically be used for commercial activity, but not licensed by the commercial entity.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I want to have 3 handheld radios that can be used by different people w/ encryption capability. They will be used for non-fixed location commercial activity. Can I as the individual and not the commercial entity get a license? If so what is the cost and process for doing so? (Location US)
Handheld radios operating as itinerants and no mention of base or mobiles. Are you certain you absolutely require Part 90 licensed radios? Have you considered the Motorola DTR / DLR 900 mHz license-free handheld HT radios? It's a given with licensed itinerant radios that at some (many?) locations you'll be sharing frequencies with other users. Not so for DTR / DLR radios. And they have range as good (or better) than many Part 90 licensed radios and are likely to meet your privacy and security need.... no license needed. LOTS has been written about them here on RR.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I have a question that I wasn't able to find an answer to. How long does it take for the FCC to process a Part 90 license for itinerant use?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It depends. I have seen some licenses issued the next business day and others can take 3 months or more.

For a small business with one location or using only portable radios, three months is silly. Even 6 weeks for my GMRS grant was too long.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It took me about 30 days to get an itinerant license about 2 years ago. It took about 24 hours to get a GMRS license. That was pre-Covid. What the pandemic has done to the FCC turn around time I don't know. Nothing good. By the way, I asked for and received the license for all 50 states. Restricted only to a narrow strip along the Canadian border. Main use of the radios is in Alaska so this is possible, but not likely unless you're near the Yukon. Not encrypted, but DMR. The fee was $170. Application requires some technical knowledge because you have to specify the modulation code used. It was in the documentation for the radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It took me about 30 days to get an itinerant license about 2 years ago. It took about 24 hours to get a GMRS license. That was pre-Covid. What the pandemic has done to the FCC turn around time I don't know. Nothing good. By the way, I asked for and received the license for all 50 states. Restricted only to a narrow strip along the Canadian border. Main use of the radios is in Alaska so this is possible, but not likely unless you're near the Yukon. Not encrypted, but DMR. The fee was $170. Application requires some technical knowledge because you have to specify the modulation code used. It was in the documentation for the radios.

Did you have to involve a coordinator in your application:?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Did you have to involve a coordinator in your application:?
Itinerant licenses do not require coordination. Of course, you must accept interference. However, using DMR you will not hear FM users and you will be noise to them. So far it is working fine. Using them for film/video production and A/V set ups for conventions. Now no conventions with COVID of course. For occasional use itinerant is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.