Indoor antenna options for Icom R-75 receiver.

majoco

What's the structure of your "Sunroom"? Wooden frame with glass or plastic roof?

With that in mind I am now thinking of putting the R-75 in my sunroom or Florida room as some may call it.
It may be easy to run a wire inside under the roof for a big loop - you'll need an 'unun' to match the 50ohms of your R75 - probably about 4:1 but that's only a guess.

majoco

Nothing heard for a month so let us know what's happening.....

Meanwhile... many years ago in the 70's we rented a flat (apartment) on the second floor of this large house and at the time I had an Eddystone 640x receiver and I asked about rigging an aerial out the back window to a tree in the yard but was given a strict "NO". There was a balcony outside the lounge window with an ali rail around which led to make this device. It's a 6 foot length of fibreglass fishing rod which I spiral wound with transformer wire with decreasing spacing from bottom to top - I found a through wall fitting in the junk box at work which was just the right size and a very strong "L" bracket. A small vice clamped onto the balcony rail held the leg of the "L" bracket and a unun at the base fed some coax back to the radio - I don't remember the unun ratio but it was probably something high say 16:1. I snuck out on to the balcony at dusk and quietly screwed the vice onto the rail - we stayed there for over a year and never got found out, even when I left out out one night! All I remember was that it worked very well at the time. I just found it out in the back of the garage and still looks pretty good - it had three of four coats of polyurethane varnish and the resistance top to bottom was just over 6 ohms so it's survived all these years! I feel an experiment coming on.....

IMG_0014 sml crop.jpgIMG_0009 sml.jpg

dave524

Get a MLA-30 for 45 dollars and see what it does, yeah a Wellbrook or a W6LVP may be marginally better , just see how it performs before laying out $300 more for a slight improvement

prcguy

I would recommend the W6LVP "experimenters kit", which is the loop amplifier, power injector and you make your own loop out of any kind of wire. That way you could go a little smaller on the loop and tape it to the closet wall or go a little bigger if there is room in the attic, etc. It also saves you about $90 over the full kit.

I have the regular W6LVP loop and love it and I also have the experimenters kit for travel. I tried the regular version inside my stucco house and it worked better than any other active or passive HF/SW antenna I've ever tried inside the house. Much better reception and lower noise/interference.