Indoor Antenna Pro 95 Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerTime

I live in an apartment in Mamaroneck, NY and I am getting very poor receiption on my Pro 95. I've purchased the Diamond RH77CA for the Pro 95, but I've seen no improvment.

Is there any other kind of antenna that I could use indoors.

I was wondering if the Radio Shack Magnetic Car Antenna would work better if I placed it on the window sill or even the Auto Glass Mount. But the reviews of these two antennas aren't good.

Can anyone recommend anything better than what I have.
I realize now that the Radio Shack radios are not as sensitive as the Unidens.

If anyone wants to purchase this one from me, just make an offer.

N1BHH

It's not that one brand of scanner has more sensitivity than another, they are pretty much the same actually. The problems with indoor antennas are manifold. There is so much absorbing material, the wood, the lathe, the insulation and so on, that just makes listening to any radio a real tough thing. Any mag mount antenna will do the trick on your window sill, as long as it's on metal. It's always better to have one outside. I have two on my air conditioner and they beat any indoor antenna. Look around for something metal to put a mag mount on near a window and you'll be better than nothing, which is honestly what you have right now.

I've suggested many times before that any outside antenna beats one inside by a long shot. As best practicable, try to get something outside, at least find the highest spot, too. That will help. There is no miracle antenna, just one that's away from all that absorbing material.

HammerTime

Antenna

Thank you Clyde,
I have a metal baseboard that runs accross the room in front of the window, it that work. I can't put anything outside. I live in a condo and they are very strick about objects of any kind outside windows.
The closest I could come would be the glass mount type. I was thinking also of an outdoor antenna and just set it up behind a piece of furniture, but the radials might be to long.

hoser147

How is the reception when you take the 95 out of the apartment? Ive got one and it seems to be very sensitive, Ive got it hooked up to the same antenna (outside) as 2 Unidens and a RS Pro46. It pulls in better than all three other scanners.You might try one of the window mounts that are held on the window by suction cups.I use them on my nite stand scanner and in the car both, You can find them on Universals site or make your own up fairly easily........Hoser

lugoffman

HammerTime said:
Thank you Clyde,
I have a metal baseboard that runs accross the room in front of the window, it that work. I can't put anything outside. I live in a condo and they are very strick about objects of any kind outside windows.
The closest I could come would be the glass mount type. I was thinking also of an outdoor antenna and just set it up behind a piece of furniture, but the radials might be to long.
hey dont feel bad i had a pro 95 and it did the same for me and i live in a apartment to were you cant hang nothing eather but i went to radio shack and bought a pro 97 and believe me it works a whole lot better but the problem im having with it is when i go down the road to the fire station it picks up static but when in the apartment its fine but i talked to my land lord and he said i can put somthing up thats the size of the yagi cellular antenna 806-900 from the wiki forum take a look at it but i dont know if it can be used for scanning cause im from southcarolina and i listen to the palmetto 800 and freqeency 155.490 so if you know or any one knows let me know if it can be used

Status
Not open for further replies.