Indoor Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadresh

Hello,

I have got some restrictions due to which I cannot have my antenna outside my house. I have no other option but to build an indoor antenna.

I want to make sure that I build an antenna which supports as many frequencies as possible.At least 70 cm and 2 m. I would be happy if it also covers 6 m and 10 m.

Right now I have BaoFeng UV-82C handheld and planning to go for better home device soon.

Which type of antenna should I build? (simple dipole / Yagi-Uda.....)
How do I build this antenna?

SCPD

QRT
Mag mounts

Depending on what you want to work and just how much room you have indoors.

Do you have an attic? I suggest vertical mag mounts on sheets of metal for 2 and 440. If you're wanting to talk local on 6 and 10, then the same thing. If you're wanting DX on 6 and 10, then horizontal dipoles in the attic. There is a couple of mobile antennas made for 6/10/2/440. Being indoors, you want to get a good ground plane, and doing it with a mag mount and some sheet metal is the most effective away. At least a mag mount and the biggest cookie sheet you can buy.

No attic? Then mag mounts atop a filing cabinet, or even the fridge.

Biggest question is what do we have do work with? Do you have a patio? Are you a few stories up in a high rise apartment? Describe just what you're living in, how high up in the air you are, etc?

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
How much attic space do you have?

There are also camouflage antennas that look like flag pole and other yard articles.
A Yagi is a good antenna, but it is directional. If you have height space, you may be able to build/buy a J-Pole. Let us know about your attic, and someone will be able to help you out a little better.
hth

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Do you have metal rain gutters? An HF option.

I don't have these issues at my home base, but do at my part time locations, and travel trailer. I use the Diamond NR770HBNMO for 2m/70cm, on mag mounts. I dislike magmounts for mobile use, and in general for other reasons. However, this particular antenna is half wave on 2m, so a good size pizza pan gives me less than 1.2/1.3:1 vswr. On 70cm it's 5/8 over 5/8, and still an vswr below 1.4:1.

I toss them on top of my travel trailer, or out on the back porch of my friends townhouse, and never have a problem. I've used them inside a friends house as well, set atop a shelf.

There's also a discone that is good for 2/70, and 6. For 6 there is an added whip that screws on to the top. I use this on the travel trailer via a mast, and have one in my attic at the house as well as a backup to storm damage. Diamond® Antenna ~ D3000N Super Discone Antenna

For what it's worth, I've found this discone to have a flat vswr across the entire 137-174, and 400-470mhz bands. No gain, but I can hit repeaters 25 miles away on 10-15 watts.

bhadresh

Thanks all reply.

Here is some more info for you to give me better suggestions.

I live an a rented apartment. It is a 3 story building and I live on the top (2nd floor). The room where I am planning to have my antenna is approximately 7 x 10 feet. It has a window (cannot be opened as it has net) approximately 2.5 x 3 feet.

Most houses nearby are 2-3 story buildings. The nearest repeater to me is approximately 4 miles away from my house. There are some office buildings (4-5 stories) between my house and the nearest repeater.

As a start I want to make contacts within 50-100 miles radius around me.

I hope this will give a fair idea to help me with more precise suggestions.

N0IU

It has a window (cannot be opened as it has net) approximately 2.5 x 3 feet.

Too bad you can't take out the screen and open the window, because this looks like it might suit your needs:

MFJ-1622_THUMB.jpg

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

It is tunable from 2 meters through 40 meters by clipping a "wander lead" at different places on the coil.For optimal performance it would be best to place it outside if possible, but it can be used indoors as well but the performance will be significantly compromised.

But hey, its better than no antenna!

Status
Not open for further replies.