Indoor Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I searched and could no find what I was looking for.

Due to my living arrangments (apartment) I am not able to mount a large outdoor antenna like I would like to do. I am looking for a suitable improvment over my stock antenna, that will work indoors.

I listen on a PRO-2052, and monitor mainly 150-160Mhz, and 800Mhz Edacs systems.

twolf816

well..from how far do you want to monitor....my local scanner's have a telescopic antenna each (the kind that comes with most uniden base/moblies nowadays) and they do fine parish (county)wide...much better than stock

however...i have seen in the setup pics section, a guy with an rs-176 set up in the window that he said did nicely

Last edited:

hsdtech

Jimmy,

You could use a magmount antenna mounted on a file cabinet, cookie sheet, etc. for a ground plane and it DOES work and works very well compared to stock duckies/telescoping antennas.
I know several hams who use this method for transmitting and receiving.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
How about that Larsen 155/450/800 antenna everyone seems to love on, say, a metal railing or something to which the magnet can bond? Do you have a balcony or patio where something low profile can be stashed? 73s Mike

dangitdoug

I use a mag-mount in my bedroom window. The frame under the paint is metal. This works great for me. My only drawback is my window is on the east wall and most signals come from the west. I live in the middle of the easternmost city in the county.

Dang my location!!

twolf816 said:
well..from how far do you want to monitor....my local scanner's have a telescopic antenna each (the kind that comes with most uniden base/moblies nowadays) and they do fine parish (county)wide...much better than stock

however...i have seen in the setup pics section, a guy with an rs-176 set up in the window that he said did nicely

I listen throughtout the county, and wish to grab some for a neighboring county. With the stock antenna I have trouble with trunked systems in the city (25-30 Miles), and am looking mainly inprovment in that.

Unlucky for me, I do have a balcony, but it is on the oppisite side of the apartment from my scanner, and running a long cable wouldn't sit well with the wife.

I suppose a mag mount would be the best idea. Anyone care to reccomend a particular one? (preferably Radio Shack as I get a discount)

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
What Larsen three band antenna is that????

Might be just what I need as I contemplate fall updates to the radio room...

hsdtech

I use a cheapo mini mag mount scanner antenna mobile, mounted on the roof of my truck. Works very well. I've considered the R.S. antenna but I also have a mag mount dual bander for my 2m/440 rig so I wanted something low profile.
But if I were in your situation I would definitely give it a try especially if you get a discount. By the way, if you have a filing cabinet you could of course move it as close as you can to a window to help the reception.
Good luck and keep us updated.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.