Indoor Discone Antenna Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For those who for whatever reason can't set up an outdoor antenna, this setup works quite a bit better than a ducky/whip.

Antenna:

Stand:

The stand tubing is the exact right size to fit the antenna (35mm OD). The stand needs a minor modification--the plastic caps at the top and bottom need to be removed to allow the coax to feed down inside the stand tubing. The top cap just pulls out, but removing the bottom cap requires removing 3 screws that attach the leg braces to the center column. Unscrew the screws and make sure you collect the nuts from inside the bottom cap, then turn the screws around so the nuts are on the outside instead of the inside to make more room for the coax to come out the bottom. Tighten the nuts finger-tight, and use some loc-tite or super glue to keep them from loosening.

20191224_220329s.jpg

Thread the coax through the column, connect it to the antenna, then set the antenna on the stand, being careful not to pinch the coax as you do so.

20191224_221046s.jpg

The finished project should look something like this:
20191223_195642s.jpg

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have been considering using one of these type of stands for a couple projects. A magnetic loop antenna is one of them, and another to play with a couple of Yagis that I have picked up.

Any special reason you picked this discone over others?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's inexpensive, but still performs reasonably well. And the antenna and stand are a perfect fit, once you remove the end caps from the stand. The antenna is not the most weatherproof, but that doesn't really matter for indoor use. I have it set up in an upstairs bedroom, and can receive most stuff in a 30-mile radius or so. Stand and antenna is about $70.

MrColad

Is there a model with an "N" connector? I ask that because there has been mention of SO239 connectors degrading signals above 500 MHz.

MTScannerNut

I have virtually the same setup as an indoor backup to my outdoor Diamond discone.

Only difference is I spray painted black a 3' piece of pvc and zip tied it to the tripod. Did that for the extra height and I just run the cable thru the pvc and then secure it to the tripod with a wrap of electrical tape. Works well, much much better than any antenna attached directly to the scanner.

MTScannerNut

Is there a model with an "N" connector? I ask that because there has been mention of SO239 connectors degrading signals above 500 MHz.

I don't believe the Tram antenna has an N connector option.

Diamond does have one (which is what I use for my outdoor antenna), but it is more than twice the cost. But has much higher build quality.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

I still get as good or better 800MHz reception with the SO-239 version than I do with the Remtronix 800MHz held in the same area.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Here's a view from underneath, looking up at the cable exiting from the bottom of the stand:

20200119_113024.jpg

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I too have the same antenna and a very similar stand. I mainly use mine when outdoors/camping (Sandbag required) due to the improvement over the Larsen tri-band mobile on the vehicle. I store that discone in a PVC tube with a cap on one end and the antenna on the other. The elements and hex key fit fine / stay safe inside and I just friction tighten the PVC cap.

I will also confirm that antenna, on that type of tripod in the house, is a definite improvement over a rubber duck on a scanner.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
There is no power supply required for the discone antenna right? Someone trying to sell me one of those window hanging antennas a while ago that they claimed performs better if you plug it into AC power with some weird extension device.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no power supply required for the discone antenna right? Someone trying to sell me one of those window hanging antennas a while ago that they claimed performs better if you plug it into AC power with some weird extension device.
Nothing is required. You can put an amplifier on any antenna, but generally you want to KISS--don't add anything to your antenna setup that doesn't have a clearly-defined benefit.

DeepBlue

Nothing is required. You can put an amplifier on any antenna, but generally you want to KISS--don't add anything to your antenna setup that doesn't have a clearly-defined benefit.

He was most likely suggesting an amplifier and that would need plugged in. Those can help under the right circumstances.

S.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber

Excellant. I do not want anything plugged in (except what needs to be, like the scanners themselves which never get turned off) so that's great! Due to the difficulty of reception in my current location I do want to try the indoor discone when I acquire the space.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The hole in the bottom needs to be 7/8". A spade bit for wood will work just fine. You'll want to take the 3 screws out while you drill the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.