Indoor Discone Antenna Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm still using this setup, and it's still working very well. I made a coax stub filter from a BNC T to notch out cellular and put it on the feedline, but other than that I haven't had to touch it.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
I'm still using this setup, and it's still working very well.
Seconded. I ordered the parts when I ran across your original post and it's been a great improvement over everything I had previously tried. Thank you.

KB2GOM

For those who for whatever reason can't set up an outdoor antenna, this setup works quite a bit better than a ducky/whip.

Antenna:

Stand:

The stand tubing is the exact right size to fit the antenna (35mm OD). The stand needs a minor modification--the plastic caps at the top and bottom need to be removed to allow the coax to feed down inside the stand tubing. The top cap just pulls out, but removing the bottom cap requires removing 3 screws that attach the leg braces to the center column. Unscrew the screws and make sure you collect the nuts from inside the bottom cap, then turn the screws around so the nuts are on the outside instead of the inside to make more room for the coax to come out the bottom. Tighten the nuts finger-tight, and use some loc-tite or super glue to keep them from loosening.

Thread the coax through the column, connect it to the antenna, then set the antenna on the stand, being careful not to pinch the coax as you do so.

The finished project should look something like this:

This might truly be the dumbest question you've ever been asked: would it work equally well to hang the antenna from the ceiling using some plastic fishing line?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That was actually the first thing I tried, but it requires putting a hook in the ceiling and it's not as convenient to move, and stiffer coax like LMR400 wants to pull the antenna sideways rather than letting it hang vertically. It will work as long as the cable can drop to the floor vertically (so it's not pulling the antenna askew) and the string used is non-conductive.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is that frigin duct tape ?!?! You need a few bucks to buy a cheap U-bracket so I no longer have to look that that hideous thing ? I'll paypal it to you just so my eyes don't bleed anymore !

:cool: It's no worse than some of the cellular antenna disguises I've seen over the years. I like it, it has character!

sparky5556

Premium Subscriber
For those who for whatever reason can't set up an outdoor antenna, this setup works quite a bit better than a ducky/whip.

Antenna:

Stand:

The stand tubing is the exact right size to fit the antenna (35mm OD). The stand needs a minor modification--the plastic caps at the top and bottom need to be removed to allow the coax to feed down inside the stand tubing. The top cap just pulls out, but removing the bottom cap requires removing 3 screws that attach the leg braces to the center column. Unscrew the screws and make sure you collect the nuts from inside the bottom cap, then turn the screws around so the nuts are on the outside instead of the inside to make more room for the coax to come out the bottom. Tighten the nuts finger-tight, and use some loc-tite or super glue to keep them from loosening.

Thread the coax through the column, connect it to the antenna, then set the antenna on the stand, being careful not to pinch the coax as you do so.

The finished project should look something like this:
What kind of coax and ends are required for this to connect to my 325P2?

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for your postings. I find this all very helpful. I have my current discone roof mounted and have been very happy with it for many years. We recently purchased a home for retirement in a beach community and feel an attic antenna is a good option given the salt air and the occasional high winds above 70mph we get being a block from the water. Also due to flood insurance requirements the basement is at ground level which makes the roof 3 stories above ground so I would not want to be doing frequent antenna repairs up there.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What kind of coax and ends are required for this to connect to my 325P2?
I'm using LMR400, with a short pigtail of smaller coax for stress relief going into my multicoupler, and a t-stub filter to notch out the cellular band.

Status
Not open for further replies.