• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Indoor GMRS antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY2_TTY

Hi all,

I am looking for an indoor GMRS antenna that will work better than the one that comes with the Midland MXT105.

I have searched and could not find what I am looking for.

I saw Ed Fong's UHF antenna on ebay and I called him today to ask about it.

I am limited to having the antenna on the wall, and he said the antenna will not work and advised me the antenna needs to be a minimum of 5 feet away from the wall.

I can't put the antenna outside because I don't want to drill, and this set up is temporary anyway.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a UHF mag mount antenna and stick it on top of your refrigerator.

amphibian

Hi all,

I am looking for an indoor GMRS antenna that will work better than the one that comes with the Midland MXT105.

I have searched and could not find what I am looking for.

I saw Ed Fong's UHF antenna on ebay and I called him today to ask about it.

I am limited to having the antenna on the wall, and he said the antenna will not work and advised me the antenna needs to be a minimum of 5 feet away from the wall.

I can't put the antenna outside because I don't want to drill, and this set up is temporary anyway.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you[/Q

Take the antenna that is shipped with the radio, then go get you the "largest" cookie baking pan (sheet) you can find (generally a 3" x 3") from the kitchen cabinet or buy one, then place that antenna in the middle of the cookie sheet, then just place it were you want it. The cookie sheet acts as a ground plane for any mag mount antenna. You can paint the cookie sheet so that it looks good --- just be sure to tape up the area where the antenna will be in the middle with masking tape before you do -- so that the antenna will have a good ground when you are done....

Make sure the antenna stands straight up when done --- in other words don't do like a friend of mine did and screw the cookie sheet to the wall and then stuck the antenna to it.... doesn't work very well.......

cmdrwill

I hope amphibian meant to post 3 feet, not inches. The ground plane needs to be a minimum of 1/4 wave length in all directions. So one would need a one foot by one foot cookie sheet for GMRS.

My boss at one of the MSS's had his UHF 1/4 Motorola NMO antenna on a mag mount on the refrigerator at home. So he could keep track of the 'night shift'.

I like the 1/4 wave NMO mag mount antenna mag mount upside down on a metal ceiling vent.

Last edited:

DY2_TTY

thanks all, I'm making a quarter wave ground plane instead, I'm just waiting for the parts.

amphibian

I hope amphibian meant to post 3 feet, not inches. The ground plane needs to be a minimum of 1/4 wave length in all directions. So one would need a one foot by one foot cookie sheet for GMRS.

My boss at one of the MSS's had his UHF 1/4 Motorola NMO antenna on a mag mount on the refrigerator at home. So he could keep track of the 'night shift'.

I like the 1/4 wave NMO mag mount antenna mag mount upside down on a metal ceiling vent.

Just as long as it is one of the largest of the cookie sheets in the kitchen or store...

The ones I generally us are 20" by 20" in size and with a thunderchicken meter it shows no reflected at 50 watts on GMRS channels... That is with a maxrad gain mag antenna...

DY2_TTY

I just made a quarter wave ground plane, just need to bend the radials, but not sure of the measurement. Is there a "best way" from where the bend needs to start, like the distance of the "bend" from the reflector?

33168121291_deb0792469_k.jpg

32913287460_4444208c3c_k.jpg

aveighter

Premium Subscriber
I was referred to a company that makes GMRS specific products, dpdproductions.com, for a mobile mag mount. I noticed they advertise indoor antennas that can be wall mounted.

I haven't done business with them yet so can render no opinion but it does look interesting. I plan to purchase the mag mount.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
I just bent mine down at 45 degreed. Works fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Nice "groundplane" antenna.

6.05 to 6.4 inches on the 'elements'. And 45 degrees 'down-tilt' on the radials is good.

Delta33

Just as long as it is one of the largest of the cookie sheets in the kitchen or store...

The ones I generally us are 20" by 20" in size and with a thunderchicken meter it shows no reflected at 50 watts on GMRS channels... That is with a maxrad gain mag antenna...
DO NOT use a Swr meter designed for CB ! ... Thunderchicken ?? As mentioned previously, a 12" square steel surface works well like a refrigerator or file cabinet.

DY2_TTY

It's now up... a lot better than the rubber ducky. It's about 3 feet away from the wall, and 3 feet from the ceiling.

33327950195_8065fa0b92_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.