Indoor scanner antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

One day I disconnected my outdoor all-band scanner antenna and decided to put the telescopic stock antenna back on. (Just to see what the difference was).

To my surprise, I was hitting more VHF-HI towers in the system I monitor,when I had the antenna set at proper segments.

This has got me thinking of keeping the telescopic antenna on at least until Low Band skip returns.

What I would be interested in knowing is, what "back of set" antenna would you recommend? Just throw out some suggestions, regardless of price.

On the low price end, I see RadioShack has this Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com, although I'm afraid it would be too flimsy.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
One day I disconnected my outdoor all-band scanner antenna and decided to put the telescopic stock antenna back on. (Just to see what the difference was).

To my surprise, I was hitting more VHF-HI towers in the system I monitor,when I had the antenna set at proper segments.

This has got me thinking of keeping the telescopic antenna on at least until Low Band skip returns.

What I would be interested in knowing is, what "back of set" antenna would you recommend? Just throw out some suggestions, regardless of price.

On the low price end, I see RadioShack has this Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com, although I'm afraid it would be too flimsy.

I think that the Radio Shack telescoping whip you mentioned is the closest thing you're going to get to a "back of set" antenna. It will work as well or maybe a little better than the whip that came with the scanner.

Your other alternative is to use a magnet mount mobile antenna, and set it on a metal surface like a filing cabinet, refrigerator, or a large cookie sheet. In some cases that will work better, but sometimes the coax cable losses will offset any performance increase you get from the better antenna. You'll just have to try out some alternatives and see; what works well in a particular location may not work as well for for someone else in a different location.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I have a "base" scanner that I didn't want to use an external antenna with, so I got a right-angle BNC connector (RS#: 278-116) that allows me to use any portable antenna on it. I ended up getting a Watson SuperGainer and it is a huge improvement over the stock metal antenna. I can pick up a VHF repeater 30 miles away load and clear that would never even break the squelch with the stock antenna.

I'm curious as to what kind of external antenna you have, that seems weird for one of those stock telescoping antennas (which are all but useless in my experience) to outperform an external one.

mciupa

I have a "base" scanner that I didn't want to use an external antenna with, so I got a right-angle BNC connector (RS#: 278-116) that allows me to use any portable antenna on it. I ended up getting a Watson SuperGainer and it is a huge improvement over the stock metal antenna. I can pick up a VHF repeater 30 miles away load and clear that would never even break the squelch with the stock antenna.

I'm curious as to what kind of external antenna you have, that seems weird for one of those stock telescoping antennas (which are all but useless in my experience) to outperform an external one.

Thank you, I will investigate the Watson.

I'm using this old thing since 1988 around 20 ft. high and it has performed great,but probably needs replacing

Last edited:

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Actually I was using the Radio Shack 20-176 All Band scanner antenna. I had it mounted in my attic to a roof girder and the reception was superb. This antenna sells for a little under $ 30.

After I moved into an apartment I had to go back to the Metal Telescopic Antenna. I have an old RS with the center load coil. Don't even think they make this one anymore.

Okay just checked, they do make it. RS part no 20-006.

mciupa

Actually I was using the Radio Shack 20-176 All Band scanner antenna. I had it mounted in my attic to a roof girder and the reception was superb. This antenna sells for a little under $ 30.

After I moved into an apartment I had to go back to the Metal Telescopic Antenna. I have an old RS with the center load coil. Don't even think they make this one anymore.

Okay just checked, they do make it. RS part no 20-006.

Are you happy with it's (20-006) performance?

With the winter season, I have to put off climbing up and checking connections. Until then, I thought I'd continue with a telescopic.
The All Band gave me great Low Band VHF listening which I figure won't be a concern until the warmer weather returns anyway.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Are you happy with it's (20-006) performance?

With the winter season, I have to put off climbing up and checking connections. Until then, I thought I'd continue with a telescopic.
The All Band gave me great Low Band VHF listening which I figure won't be a concern until the warmer weather returns anyway.

On a good night I'm getting about 35 miles distance on High Band. Low band you can forget about, this antenna just doesn't do it. On our local County Truck system I am getting max bars on the receiving end probably due to the fact I am 1 mile from the tower. For my purpose the 20-006 suits me just fine but it may not be everyones answer to an indoor antenna suggestion.

pinetree

Last link no good

The link was no good so here is my setup that works in my house which has foil covering the insulation.

Attachments

• anr for rr.jpg
    anr for rr.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 5,585

pinetree

No splitter each antenna goes to its own scanner. The one in the center works best on the 800 band.
Dave

mciupa

Right now my interest would be mainly VHF and to a lesser degree UHF. Think I will also look at mag mounts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.