Industry Canada website

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEOMANTRIC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anyone know how up to date the license database is ? Only reason I ask is because while doing a search, o found quite a few discrepancies.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
When you go to Industry Canada's website, you can search info on radio frequencies in your area, and sometimes even find some that you had no clue existed. Anyways, this database is the one I mean. Not for HAM or commercial radio.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I'm still not sure what your referring too, Spectrum Direct? Can you post a link to the site and a brief description on what your looking for?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Spectrum Direct is updated every morning at around 0100 Eastern time.

TAFL is updated once a month and the dates are listed on the file download page.

jslessor

Industry Canada updates their database daily. What they don't do often is remove the posted licenses for frequencies that are no longer in use. I often see companies that are licensed but don't exist anymore.

I usually just check the frequency authorization dates check box in step 2 of the search.

It's a really fantastic website for finding out frequency info.

tilt404

If you check off more boxes in the search page, there is usually a code for the license if its current, or expired, or in process of application I believe. For code I just mean a certain letter or number in a column that will let you know, but you have to enable it in the search properties. I'm not sure if this applies to what you were looking for though.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Industry Canada updates their database daily. What they don't do often is remove the posted licenses for frequencies that are no longer in use. I often see companies that are licensed but don't exist anymore.

I usually just check the frequency authorization dates check box in step 2 of the search.

It's a really fantastic website for finding out frequency info.

On the topic of paragraph one, IC appears to keep listings for as long as the licensee pays for them. I know of a number of licensees that haven't looked at their licenses in depth in a long time, and still have frequencies licensed from the 1980s and prior, which are no longer in use. IC doesn't appear to do any checking of whether or not someone is using a frequency - but if you purchase a license for it, so long as the paperwork's in order, they will continue to "hold it in your name".

On the frequency authorization date - the way you wrote it, it sounds like you are discounting licenses with "old" auth dates as being invalid. I wouldn't do that - I know of at least one license still in use in the Alberta region which has an auth date in 1962.

Having said all that, the IC information on Spectrum Direct (the search form with the checkboxes you guys are referring to) is "published" every day. Whether or not the data published into it is accurate remains to be seen....

jslessor

On the topic of paragraph one, IC appears to keep listings for as long as the licensee pays for them. I know of a number of licensees that haven't looked at their licenses in depth in a long time, and still have frequencies licensed from the 1980s and prior, which are no longer in use. IC doesn't appear to do any checking of whether or not someone is using a frequency - but if you purchase a license for it, so long as the paperwork's in order, they will continue to "hold it in your name".

On the frequency authorization date - the way you wrote it, it sounds like you are discounting licenses with "old" auth dates as being invalid. I wouldn't do that - I know of at least one license still in use in the Alberta region which has an auth date in 1962.

Having said all that, the IC information on Spectrum Direct (the search form with the checkboxes you guys are referring to) is "published" every day. Whether or not the data published into it is accurate remains to be seen....

Thanks for the clarification.

I am new to all of this.

I found Spectrum Direct and just started tinkering around with it. I'm rubbish with it.

But that is good to know about the date of authorization ultimately means very little.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
I see what you mean now. Very interesting, considering most of the 'hidden' frequencies would be easily scan-able.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I see what you mean now. Very interesting, considering most of the 'hidden' frequencies would be easily scan-able.

If you know other agencies that do not have protected status, you can sometimes see protected frequencies... MOT in BC is one example, they interop with RCMP, and sometimes the RCMP freqs show on MOT licences.

You just need to be creative with searches sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmisk

do49.zip only 3.72k

This discussion reminded me to download the latest Regional TAFL for the Ottawa area, do49.zip.

However this file is only 3.72k and expands to 22k.

Contains only a few lines of data.

Does anyone know what is going on with this file? I have an old file from 2010, and it is 2.860mb

Thanks, Mike

DaveH

If you know other agencies that do not have protected status, you can sometimes see protected frequencies... MOT in BC is one example, they interop with RCMP, and sometimes the RCMP freqs show on MOT licences.

You just need to be creative with searches sometimes.

Often it works the other way. Ottawa FS for instance shares EDACS channels with
Ottawa Police, so the whole lot is blocked. Same for all the City services including
transit, which except Transit security have no real reason to be blocked.

Dave

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Often it works the other way. Ottawa FS for instance shares EDACS channels with

Ottawa Police, so the whole lot is blocked. Same for all the City services including

transit, which except Transit security have no real reason to be blocked.

Dave

Edmonton and Calgary are the same way, all the trunk system licenses are protected. Where as Lethbridge, the fire licenses show for the Lethbridge EDACS system though...

In Yukon, before the MDMRS network was replaced, all the MDMRS repeater were listed, except for the RCMP only(unique frequency that was not reused in the network)MDMRS repeater used by the dispatch centre in Whitehorse, were not protected.

In BC I found some RCMP frequencies not protected, because they were licensed for base radios used by MOT scales to interop with the RCMP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.