Inexpensive AC/DC power adapter alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JCK

In another thread I posted about how the USB Mini-B port on my BCD325P2 basically disintegrated. I really don't want to spend the $80+ to get it fixed by Uniden, so I searched for an inexpensive alternative for powering the BCD325P2 via AC. Why, because I mostly use the BCD325P2 inside where it can be plugged into an AC or USB outlet and thus not have to feed the thing batteries. I found this simple and relatively inexpensive solution for adding a power port. (Note: This is only for power, it will not work for programming or charging batteries inside the scanner.)

First things first. If you have a nice junk box and your eyes and hands still work well for building things, then you can build your own solution. In my case it was better to just find a commercial solution that was cheap.

I purchased an EH-65A AC Power Adapter EP-65A DC Coupler Charger kit for a Nikon digital camera. This is just one of many available solutions, but this one was inexpensive and works well. This is a good solution for plugging the adapter into an AC outlet.

bcd325p2-eh-65a-ac-battery-adapter.jpg

I also bought a TENINYU USB Charging Cable for plugging the the adapter into a USB port. This optional, but it is a good option to have since it allows me to plug-in the adapter using a USB port in my RAV4 or virtually any portable power bank that has a USB port.

bcd325p2-teninyu-usb-charging-cable.jpg

Here is the adapter next to the battery cover which I slightly modified with a round file so the cable would not get pinched while installed in my BCD325P2.

bcd325p2-dummy-battery-adapter.jpg

Here is the adapter installed in my BCD325P2.

bcd325p2-battery-adapter-installed.jpg

Here is the completed installation.

bcd325p2-battery-adapter-completed.jpg

Simple and inexpensive.

This is also a good solution if you use the USB Mini-B port on the BCD325P2 quite a bit for powering the scanner as it will help prevent it from disintegrating like mine did. It is very easy and quick to insert, or take out when you want to use batteries instead.

Again there are other commercial solutions out there, and probably one that has both the AC cord and the USB cord, although I got tired of looking. I paid less than $25 shipped and have an external power solution that works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.