Inexpensive P25 radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

All,

I am not really a scanner guy, call me a casual scanner user, I do have various scanners, from high end to low end. But I just don't listen all the time (to scanners, I do a lot of HF / shortwave though), I typically turn the scanners on when something is going on. However, I have need to set on and monitor one P25 frequency. Currently I have an Icom R8600 setting on that freq, but that seems kind of a waste ;) So I am looking for a low cost solution to monitor a single P25 frequency. I need it to be stand alone, no computer, so that means no low cost tablet and dongle. I don't care if I have to connect to a computer to program, as long as under normal operations the radio is not connected to a computer. I don't need a thousand channels in 25 banks, I don't need trunking, etc. I do need the radio to be able to connect to an external antenna. I prefer something in a mobile or desktop format, vs hand held, but will take hand held if it meets the other requirements.

Sooo, is there a low cost option for this?

Thanks.

T!

prcguy

What band? If its VHF you can sometimes pick up a Thales T25 hand held used in the $50 range. These run off 12v and are front panel programmable in analog and P25.

Edit: I think I have one of these with a bad transmitter but it receives fine. If you don't find anything suitable I would consider giving it to you.

mancow

Database Admin
I think I have a nice Astro Spectra + in that split that would work really well.

TomLine

RTL-SDR - Usb stick, radio reciever
SDRTRUNK - Free Software - Decodes P25
SDR# - (SDR Sharp). Free general purpose reciever NEVER MIND - MISSED THAT YOU DON"T DO THE COMPUTER !! My bad.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
XTL1500's are plentiful in the used market and available in UHF 460MHz. It has an internal front facing speaker so one less thing to have on the table.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
If you only require P25 Phase 1, one option for a hand held solution is a Whistler WS1040. A "scratch & dent" version costs about $150 and has a 90-day warranty.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
xts3000 can be affordable and this one is selling for 65 bucks with free programming:

prcguy

Yea but the 3000 is the bastard of the bunch needing its own special software. I think your better off getting an XTS2500 which was the last of the XTS series and they are about $114 used on Ebay. There were a bunch of XTS1500 UHFs on Ebay for $40 not long ago. I got several and might part with one.

xts3000 can be affordable and this one is selling for 65 bucks with free programming:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
For UHF conventional, even a basic older BC-996 would work well. I have one parked on my P25 ham repeater and even with a whip antenna, it works well. LMR stuff, especially legacy stuff like Astro Spectras/XTS3000s require legacy computers with serial ports, cables, and software no longer sold (yeah I know it's out there). A lot of trouble when an older digital scanner will work "out of the box" with no hacks or software needed. I've never hooked the 996 up to Sentinel, bought it used at a hamfest for $100 and punched in the frequency as a quick save and it's been powered up ever since. That was three years ago.

brndnstffrd

Yea but the 3000 is the bastard of the bunch needing its own special software. I think your better off getting an XTS2500 which was the last of the XTS series and they are about $114 used on Ebay. There were a bunch of XTS1500 UHFs on Ebay for $40 not long ago. I got several and might part with one.
No, the XTS3000 takes regular Astro CPS (not to be confused with Astro25), same same software as the Astro Saber. The radio you are thinking of is the XTS3500, which only used its own version of RSS (DOS based).

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
No, the XTS3000 takes regular Astro CPS (not to be confused with Astro25), same same software as the Astro Saber. The radio you are thinking of is the XTS3500, which only used its own version of RSS (DOS based).

That may be, but I still can't fire up Astro on a modern PC with a USB port and expect good results.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
XTS2500s in that split can be found for cheap. Even cheaper are EF Johnson 5100s that can be found on several online sites such as ebay. Great radios and good for monitoring a single conv freq if needed.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
XTS2500s in that split can be found for cheap. Even cheaper are EF Johnson 5100s that can be found on several online sites such as ebay. Great radios and good for monitoring a single conv freq if needed.

5100s are excellent radios, just make sure to go for the ES version as the old models had issues. Unfortunately, it seems like the supply of UHF 5100ESs may be drying up for now. I'll probably shift over to XTS5000s for secondhand fleet additions if that happens as virtually everything but the programming cable is cross-compatible.

(Somewhat related, I believe the 5300ES goes out of support in a year or two. If EFWood handles that like the 5100ES end of support a couple years ago, NOS inventory will get dumped out onto Ebay)

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
5100s are excellent radios, just make sure to go for the ES version as the old models had issues. Unfortunately, it seems like the supply of UHF 5100ESs may be drying up for now. I'll probably shift over to XTS5000s for secondhand fleet additions if that happens as virtually everything but the programming cable is cross-compatible.

(Somewhat related, I believe the 5300ES goes out of support in a year or two. If EFWood handles that like the 5100ES end of support a couple years ago, NOS inventory will get dumped out onto Ebay)
What's nice on the EFJ side is that options can be easily added including crypto should one need and you don't even have to hunt down a UCM. I reccomend the radio above for the OP but im thinking I may buy some of the 6 banks available, keyload and program, then dump in a pelican case for travel. I try to get as many as I can when they are available.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
How hard would it be to program an EFJ 5100 for one frequency? I've never done any programming. It says 380-470 mhz, I'm interested in 470.500 (P25), so I guess that's out of the range?

Status
Not open for further replies.