Info for programming 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariefrench

Our county just updated to digital. What exactly do I need in order to update my scanner? The only equipment I have right now is what came with my scanner. Do I "have" to get a computer cord in order to do the update? That would be fine, but where on the computer would I have to download/program it from? I live in Balto. Co. MD. I really like this sight! You guys are very knowledgable about these scanners. I wish I knew more because I LOVE listening to mine and I know theres alot more I could probably do with it. It is driving me nuts not being able to listen to it right now. Thanking you in advance for your input!
(also, would it help for me to become a member of RR?)

sphipps

Check with some Radio Shacks around Baltimore and see if you can find salespeople who know about the change and may have a demo PRO-106 available that already has all of the new freqs programmed. If so, they can clone your PRO-106 with the new freqs... usually within seconds for free. It may take a few stores to find the right people, but I'd bet at least one in your area can help.

jfhtm350

You can either program the frequencies in manually (going to take you a while) or get a programming cable and software to change/update frequencies (possibly a subscription to RR) or get a stereo cable with 1/8" male stereo jacks on both ends and clone another pro-106 or pro-197 with the right frequencies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Indeed you can - but before we get too deep, let's review a few things that might prove helpful; remember all links are in blue, and the references I am about to make can all be found in one place;

Programming Your Radio Shack Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There's good news and bad news. Let's start with the good news first...

a. If you choose to program your scanner by hand, there is a programming shortcut article;

b. If you want to use software, you must first buy a USB-serial cable. Either the GRE or RS models will work fine - do NOT use the little pigtail that comes with them. The 'Connecting scanners via USB' article has the particulars, along with how to use Windoze Device Manager to diagnose issues

c. As for software, see the 'Object Oriented Scanner Software' article - there are 3 main players - ARC500, PSREdit500 and Win500. We have links to the user guides for both ARC500 and Win500. All 3 packages will allow you to download data from our database when you buy a premium subscription.

d. There's an Easier to Read manual for this radio

That's the good news...now here comes the bad news...

A lot of folks are having a ton of trouble hearing the new Baltimore county P25 system. Briefly put, they are now using a modulation scheme that consumer grade scanners have a hard time decoding. We have a dedicated thread on this very subject, along with a very detailed wiki article. The wiki also has screen shots with starting values for each of the big 3 - but note that these are starting values only - you will need to tweak other things to get the system to work IF you can get it working at all.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma.../219410-new-baltimore-county-p-25-system.html

Baltimore County P25 - the RR Wiki

You MAY have better luck receiving the system if you point a small yagi at one of the transmitter sites. Fortunately yagis at this freq range are quite tiny and inexpensive.

best regards...Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.