Info Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtRetired

Hello to all,

What is the closest Uniden/Bearcat store to the Somerset County area. I'm looking for a trunking scanner for the Somerset County Dispatch. Would like to see a few in person, before buying. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

W2SJW

Database Admin
I honestly don't know if that's going to be at all possible anymore.

With the county already deploying Phase-II operations on the 700 MHz side of the P25 system, your best bet is to get the 436HP or the 536HP (based on your needs for handheld or mobile).

bailly2

re: somerset dispatch

you could buy a gre psr 800 off craigslist and meet someone in public if you want to try it first, but if you have never had to deal with lsm don't be suprised if the transmissions are garbled. definitely going to need a a 700 mhz yagi antenna. in mercer county im 20 miles from one transmitter on the njics, and 10 miles from another, and both are using lsm on the same frequencies and even with locking out the distant site and using a 1 inch antenna i still got garbled transmissions. (with the 1 inch antenna the distant site has a signal strength of 3 bars on the exact same frequency, arrrgghh). been listening to just the hunterdon site because no other sites are simulcasting on the same frequency.

tomk62

I have a PSR 800 and would be happy to demo it to you. Somerset County is my old stomping grounds and I am up there at least one evening a week. PM me if interested and we'll set something up ...

SgtRetired

Hi Tom,
I just found out that what I want to listen to is going to 700 mhz sometime in the spring. So I need to consider radios that will work when 700 mhz becomes active. Thanks for the offer, let me know when you will be in the area and we can meet up. Central Jersey Airport works for me, if its good for you.

Thanks again,
Mike

W2SJW

Database Admin
All PSR models suffer from over-sensitive front-ends to their receivers, especially on VHF. No one knows if Whistler will even service or honor the warranty on the 800 as well. I would steer clear of an 800 & go for one of the Unidens. I have a 436HP coming as an admin, and would be willing to do the same to demo it (Somerset is my old stomping ground, as well).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

SgtRetired

W2SJW,

See my post above when its approved. Would love to see the new scanner when you get it, as that is one of my choices if it works for me. Please show me your new scanner when you get it, and I'll make it worth your trip.

Thanks, Mike G

tomk62

Hi Tom,
I just found out that what I want to listen to is going to 700 mhz sometime in the spring. So I need to consider radios that will work when 700 mhz becomes active. Thanks for the offer, let me know when you will be in the area and we can meet up. Central Jersey Airport works for me, if its good for you.

Thanks again,
Mike

Hi Mike, just saw your response. I will be in the area this evening Jan 22 if you are free. I am sending you a private message with details.

tomk62

Ahh, wouldn't let me send a PM to you ... "SgtRetired has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

btshep

Premium Subscriber
They only two brick and mortar places i know of to buy Uniden scanners in NJ are Advanced Specialties on Essex St. right off Route 80 exit 63 in Lodi and Newport Bay Limited on Route 18 South in East Brunswick

SgtRetired

Hey Tom,

Am home sick with the Flu, so not good for tonight. Cant get private messages I guess, since im new to the forum. Some other night would be great though. I may wait to buy another scanner until the 700 is active, so I know I can cover it properly. Thanks for the help.

Mike

W2SJW

Database Admin
The 700 system is very much active already. Hillsborough PD is now on it full-time TDMA (they are self-dispatch). Bridgewater will be on there after they migrate in a few months.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

tomk62

No worries, I am up there most Wednesday evenings, just let me know what's good for you. I can confirm activity of the 700 system on my PSR 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.